Injury Watch - Page 20 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Injury Watch

Caledonian Craig

49 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

I think he's either in décline or is playing through an injury so Celtic win the title. He's been outstanding for us for the last few years.

Don't get me wrong, I think McGregor is a brilliant player on his day. I just wouldn't put him in the same bracket as the others I mentioned. I'd happily have Christie in beside Gilmour as well.

I wonder if Clarke will look at our last 2 losses and correlate that with McGregor being missing. I'm not convinced he would have made that much of a difference, but Clarke might. 

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, The Black Bra said:

I was a lot more optimistic 6 months ago. I was happy with Germany as pot 1 team as they were in the worst state they’d been in in my lifetime and I’d rather have them than England, France or Portugal. Not so sure about that now….
Looking for positives, I think our recent record in competitive games is ‘won 15 of last 21’, if you take into account the last 2 were dead rubbers, you could say ‘15 wins in last 19 meaningful games’ which is incredible for us. We’ve always been pish in friendlies and they were mostly against top teams so maybe they’re meaningless? The way we played against Netherlands for an hour was great apart from the finishing.

As usual with us I’m hopeful, but if I was going to put my house on it I think there’s a very good chance we’ll lose to Germany and Hungary. A win against Switzerland might be enough for 3rd, don’t know much about them.

The Swiss are better than they're given credit for. Tournament regulars who often reach the knockout stages, they're not a 'big name' side but at this point I don't fancy our chances against them.

Just now, scotlad said:

The Swiss are better than they're given credit for. Tournament regulars who often reach the knockout stages, they're not a 'big name' side but at this point I don't fancy our chances against them.

We have proven on our day we can win against top notch  sides in the last two years or so. For evidence of that look to our wins against Spain, Denmark and Ukraine. However, that was with us with a full strength side and everyone on form. 

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

We have proven on our day we can win against top notch  sides in the last two years or so. For evidence of that look to our wins against Spain, Denmark and Ukraine. However, that was with us with a full strength side and everyone on form. 

The good news is we weren't at full strength against Ukraine as Robertson was out (we played Tierney at LB) and Gilmour wasn't playing. The Spain match we were at full strength though you could argue Gilmour (who was an unused sub) would make that team better. The Denmark game was a dead rubber for them. It was a good performance nonetheless.

5 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

The good news is we weren't at full strength against Ukraine as Robertson was out (we played Tierney at LB) and Gilmour wasn't playing. The Spain match we were at full strength though you could argue Gilmour (who was an unused sub) would make that team better. The Denmark game was a dead rubber for them. It was a good performance nonetheless.

I think Gilmour is an outstanding wee player and has played in a number of great games for us but I think against the better teams, we'd be better off with a more physical presence in there as off the ball, Gilmour doesn't have that natural physique to compete well enough at the top level. He is much more suited to playing in a possession based team like your Barcelona's etc. 

19 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

I think Gilmour is an outstanding wee player and has played in a number of great games for us but I think against the better teams, we'd be better off with a more physical presence in there as off the ball, Gilmour doesn't have that natural physique to compete well enough at the top level. He is much more suited to playing in a possession based team like your Barcelona's etc. 

I think in the past year, the games where Gilmour hasn’t played or when he’s been taken off we’ve looked a much worse side

6 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

They did beat England but England definitely don't take the NL seriously. I think the standard of international teams can vary a lot in as little as two or three years. When I look at the Swiss and Hungary squads, the Swiss look better. We probably could beat one of them but not both of them.

Funny how if England lose, in what some consider a meaningless game, it's just meh!

But we lose an even more meaningless game and the arse has fallen out of our footballing world 

2 minutes ago, todd said:

Funny how if England lose, in what some consider a meaningless game, it's just meh!

But we lose an even more meaningless game and the arse has fallen out of our footballing world 

😁 

A bit of an analogy for more than just the football too! 

1 hour ago, todd said:

Actually, there were calls for Southgate's head after their NL performance. They then had a pretty good World Cup so now they get the benefit of the doubt. If we do well in the Euros, we'll get the benefit if the doubt next time we lose friendlies

25 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

Actually, there were calls for Southgate's head after their NL performance. They then had a pretty good World Cup so now they get the benefit of the doubt. If we do well in the Euros, we'll get the benefit if the doubt next time we lose friendlies

No we won't, we're Scottish, it's tradition to be down on the national team no matter what. Like some sort of perverse defence mechanism, does my head in

Just now, todd said:

Like some sort of perverse defence mechanism, does my head in

It isn't perverse

You really had to have been there ....on more occasions that i care to remember

Argentina done something to the Scottish psyche in the late 70s - fact

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Getting a big result at a finals tournament when the opposition are fully focused has always been more difficult for us though. Hopefully this time we can do it for once.

I'd have had Paterson, Armstrong & Ferguson in my 23 man squad. If all are to miss it i was thinking who'd i replace them with 

I looked through soccerway of all scots playing abroad & quick scan of players in the SPL- drop off from our squad to the replacements is quite dramatic 

Assuming Livramento, Barnes &Armstrong not interested 

I'd have McCrorie, Fraser & Gauld in 

Genuinely thinking who else you'd have in the 2 midfield roles and it doesnt look great  

5 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Aye, at full strength I'd feel a lot more confident about our chances but sadly we won't be, and the drop-off in quality in some positions is alarming.

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

It isn't perverse

You really had to have been there ....on more occasions that i care to remember

Argentina done something to the Scottish psyche in the late 70s - fact

I have been there, and on a number of occasions. But still I find this self deprecating bullshit tiresome at best. Why can't we ever just be happy with what we've achieved, in this case qualification for what will, in my opinion, be the last decent tournament before uefa/fifas right on agenda ruins it all.

Edited by todd

I've asked this before, but how come England never seem to get serious injuries? Their top players like Palmer, Kane and Foden play for clubs that play a huge number of games right at the pressure end. Are they better trained or what? 

2 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I've asked this before, but how come England never seem to get serious injuries? Their top players like Palmer, Kane and Foden play for clubs that play a huge number of games right at the pressure end. Are they better trained or what? 

Chilwell missed the last tournament. didn't he?

They probably have a deeper pool of strength in depth without a sharp drop-off in quality. We do not have access to anything comparable.

1 hour ago, borojock said:

I'd have had Paterson, Armstrong & Ferguson in my 23 man squad. If all are to miss it i was thinking who'd i replace them with 

I looked through soccerway of all scots playing abroad & quick scan of players in the SPL- drop off from our squad to the replacements is quite dramatic 

Assuming Livramento, Barnes &Armstrong not interested 

I'd have McCrorie, Fraser & Gauld in 

Genuinely thinking who else you'd have in the 2 midfield roles and it doesnt look great  

There's a thread on thus topic over on the euro24 board

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

How could you forget Rooney's metatarsal?  Front page news for about a month. Or Rio's knee. Going further back, Bryan Robson's head falling off on Spitting Image.