Injury Watch - Page 12 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Injury Watch

Caledonian Craig

I think we need to prepare ourselves for the real possibility of Aaron Hickey missing the Euros or at very best being very short of match practice. A report was going around yesterday quoting the Brentford boss saying that Hickey was finally back on the training pitch for the first time so probably doing no more than the obligatory jogging around the outside of the training pitch. He also stated it was unlikely he'd feature again this season and Hickey I think was quoted as saying he faced a race against time which he could lose to be fit for the Euros.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I think we need to prepare ourselves for the real possibility of Aaron Hickey missing the Euros or at very best being very short of match practice. A report was going around yesterday quoting the Brentford boss saying that Hickey was finally back on the training pitch for the first time so probably doing no more than the obligatory jogging around the outside of the training pitch. He also stated it was unlikely he'd feature again this season and Hickey I think was quoted as saying he faced a race against time which he could lose to be fit for the Euros.

Aye big worry tbh. I've mentally taken that as a 75% likelihood of a write off given time taken to be match fit etc.

Hopefully Paterson rediscovers how to kick his own arse between now and then.

9 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Aye big worry tbh. I've mentally taken that as a 75% likelihood of a write off given time taken to be match fit etc.

It's a major worry as I think we'll struggle to get through without him.You'd hope Frank is erring on the side of caution. Brentford are probably safe from relegation and there may not be much to play for by the time he comes back so why take the risk? For us, it's obviously worth the risk.

Doubt Dyche is losing his job between now and the end of the season and he clearly doesn't fancy Patterson at all. Maybe he's as bad in training as he was for us recently...

I feel sorry for him as I think he has the capacity to be a top player but has gone down the wrong path though not through any real fault of his own. Look at Hickey and how he's done things. The same goes for a lot of our players; as much first-team football as possible even at a lower level and then just getting better and better. Michael Stewart turned down a loan move early on from Man Utd as he felt he was going to break into the first team. I do wonder if he could have been a much better player.

1 minute ago, BryanBlessed said:

It's a major worry as I think we'll struggle to get through without him.You'd hope Frank is erring on the side of caution. Brentford are probably safe from relegation and there may not be much to play for by the time he comes back so why take the risk? For us, it's obviously worth the risk.

Doubt Dyche is losing his job between now and the end of the season and he clearly doesn't fancy Patterson at all. Maybe he's as bad in training as he was for us recently...

I feel sorry for him as I think he has the capacity to be a top player but has gone down the wrong path though not through any real fault of his own. Look at Hickey and how he's done things. The same goes for a lot of our players; as much first-team football as possible even at a lower level and then just getting better and better. Michael Stewart turned down a loan move early on from Man Utd as he felt he was going to break into the first team. I do wonder if he could have been a much better player.

Paterson is an interesting one because he was never getting 1st team experience at Rangers under Tavernier and for all parties a £16m transfer to Everton was a no brainer at the time.

He's still very young and I thought at his best he could have been another Alan Hutton type player. He's still very young, I imagine he may find his level eventually, perhaps 1 step below and build confidence from there.

12 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Paterson is an interesting one because he was never getting 1st team experience at Rangers under Tavernier and for all parties a £16m transfer to Everton was a no brainer at the time.

He's still very young and I thought at his best he could have been another Alan Hutton type player. He's still very young, I imagine he may find his level eventually, perhaps 1 step below and build confidence from there.

It didn't help last time out v N. Ireland that he was getting pelters from some of our support. Yes, he was at fault for their goal but it was clear as day that the guy is severely lacking in confidence due to what's happened at Everton. Getting booked by your own fans seriously can't help.

2 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

It didn't help last time out v N. Ireland that he was getting pelters from some of our support. Yes, he was at fault for their goal but it was clear as day that the guy is severely lacking in confidence due to what's happened at Everton. Getting booked by your own fans seriously can't help.

The TA are extremely fickle with some shit at times when it comes to supporting players who need it most. Chris Martin and especially Gary McAllister come to mind.

Hickey won’t be in Germany.

Patterson has no chance really of playing at Everton this season unless they have a catastrophic injury crisis in that part of the defence. Coupled with a pretty disastrous game against NI he shouldnt start in Euro’s. But he will, as there’s nothing else. He just has to step up. Easy to say as it’s his confidence that is shot, and the boo’s make it worse.

Having watched NI back, as well as the calamitous stuff, I think he still has it and can be a class above other options, but needs the confidence. Has to be 90mins and good performances in both of the friendlies.

7 minutes ago, ger intae them said:

Patterson has no chance really of playing at Everton this season unless they have a catastrophic injury crisis in that part of the defence. Coupled with a pretty disastrous game against NI he shouldnt start in Euro’s. But he will, as there’s nothing else. He just has to step up. Easy to say as it’s his confidence that is shot, and the boo’s make it worse.

Having watched NI back, as well as the calamitous stuff, I think he still has it and can be a class above other options, but needs the confidence. Has to be 90mins and good performances in both of the friendlies.

I hope so. Ralston is not as good as Patterson or Hickey but I don't think he's ever really let us down has he?. I also remember an unfancied Stephen O'Donnell having Jack Grealish in his pocket at the Euros a little while back so not quite time to despair.

2 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

I am sure he would if given half a chance under Dyche. 

It'll most probably be Patterson and Ralston as our RBs - an Everton reserve and a Celtic reserve.

Johnston and McCrorie are at least playing regularly but I don't think either have ever featured in senior squads (could be wrong about McCrorie) so I'd be amazed if either is selected at this juncture.

2 hours ago, ger intae them said:

If he's back training now, he has two months before our first match. More realistically he has to target being back for both friendlies so 10 days earlier than that. He might not be match fit but Patterson clearly wasn't match fit either. If Hickey is raring to go (fingers crossed) I'd take Ralston as his replacement (unless he continues to not get any minutes which is likely I admit). So, any choice at right back won't have been playing for their clubs and that's a major concern. 

I think Clarke has to take a bit of the blame for this if Hickey doesn't make it. He should have brought in a RB getting regular game time for their club. This situation wasn't unforeseeable.  If Max Johnston is doing OK, he should be drafted into the squad. I've seen he's making appearances but mainly as a sub.

3 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

100% agree that he should be playing somewhere else even if it's the championship. But, right now, I don't want him anywhere near the team.  There could be a future with him on the right and Hickey on the left..

Lewis Ferguson subbed off after 62 mins with an injury. Didn't see it, so i'm not sure what type of injury. Hopefully not serious

9 hours ago, ger intae them said:

If Patterson doesn’t start another game this season then he won’t be match fit either. I’d rather Hickey than Patterson if I’m choosing between two players who’ve barely kicked a ball this year.

1 hour ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

If Patterson doesn’t start another game this season then he won’t be match fit either. I’d rather Hickey than Patterson if I’m choosing between two players who’ve barely kicked a ball this year.

Hickey is a no brairner Patterson has been pathetic that’s were the problem lies. 

Playing in a euros is the highlight of players careers and think of all the Scotland players of the past 20 years who haven’t played in one. Hickey will be desperate to be in the squad and the fact he’s on the grass now means time is on his side to be fit in time for it. 

34 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Playing in a euros is the highlight of players careers and think of all the Scotland players of the past 20 years who haven’t played in one. Hickey will be desperate to be in the squad and the fact he’s on the grass now means time is on his side to be fit in time for it. 

Not listening to the soundbites coming from the Brentford boss or even Hickey himself. I think the very best we can hope for is he gets no more setbacks and is approaching match fitness by the time our two friendlies come around in June and he gets some match time in them but he'd still be very much lacking in true match fitness and we take the punt and name him in the squad. That, I think, is the very best case scenario.

10 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Hickey is a no brairner Patterson has been pathetic that’s were the problem lies. 

Hickey might be worse than pathetic after three months off. We just don't know yet.

Not sure if brentford would actively want hickey involved in Euro's to help push on his rehab or would they try and stop him going to be safe that he’s fit for them next season (and a poss big pay day if the Man City transfer rumours are true).

If I was frank I wouldn’t care about Scotland…….. but if I was hickey all I’d care about was Germany.

If Hickey is back out on the grass doung light training now then he will be fine come the Euros. 

Brentford dont need to rush him back. If they were fighting for Europe or against relegation then it might be different.

Hickey will just need to get his match sharpeness back but given how well he reads the game im not overly concerned. He also tends to keep things simple 2 friendlies and he will be good to go.

9 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

If Hickey is back out on the grass doung light training now then he will be fine come the Euros. 

Brentford dont need to rush him back. If they were fighting for Europe or against relegation then it might be different.

Hickey will just need to get his match sharpeness back but given how well he reads the game im not overly concerned. He also tends to keep things simple 2 friendlies and he will be good to go.

Fingers crossed you are right.

7 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Reports in Italy is it is not looking good for Ferguson, looking out for the season and Euros. 

Not good but, and without wanting to tempt fate, at least it's in the one area of the pitch where we have strength in depth.