HS2 Fiasco - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1 minute ago, Toepoke said:

TBF that headline is a bit disingenuous, the guy wasn't forced to sell by HS2, although it would've affected his sale price.

The flipside is another family have bought his house at a knockdown price and won't now have a railway running past.

There are other far less disingenuous examples too. The whole scheme is a disaster that wreaked havoc in many ways and more so by it now being totally curtailed/cancelled. To cap it all Sunak today had the nerve to make more promises and claimed his party is the only one that can be trusted. Utterly deluded.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Minor point in the light of the HS2 fiasco. What is the problem with English Unionist politicians? Constant references on the news to 'the north' or 'the north of the country'? If your country is GB, the north of the country isn't York, it's Orkney!

When I first moved down to England, I worked with this girl who was from Sheffield.  She said to me once “us Northeners should stick together”. The look on her face was priceless when I replied, “I don’t know what you’re talking about, I’m from the south of Scotland, you’re all English as far as I’m concerned”.

4 minutes ago, aaid said:

When I first moved down to England, I worked with this girl who was from Sheffield.  She said to me once “us Northeners should stick together”. The look on her face was priceless when I replied, “I don’t know what you’re talking about, I’m from the south of Scotland, you’re all English as far as I’m concerned”.

😄😄😄

13 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Minor point in the light of the HS2 fiasco. What is the problem with English Unionist politicians? Constant references on the news to 'the north' or 'the north of the country'? If your country is GB, the north of the country isn't York, it's Orkney!

If you include the northern isles everything below the Forth is in "The South".

The other BS from Sunak was his 'promises' on what the money would be spent on instead of HS2 and was upcoming. One of them was completed in 2013 and another work began on a few years ago so evidently is not a result of them ploughing the billions in from HS2. The rest are empty promises that probably won't get off the planning table but hey ho it pleased the happy clapping sheep at a party conference.

10 hours ago, aaid said:

There should be a campaign to highlight all of these statements. Every one skewering a Better Together claim. Probably not enough billboards in Scotland to illustrate every one. There was a story in the Guardian from 2011 under the current HS2 story about the Scottish govt offering to pay for the Scotland part of the high speed rail link. This was on the condition that the Manchester section was completed first. It's interesting when there's a big story and then previous relevant reports are online underneath forming a useful reminder/comparison of how things were spun in the past. It's rarely mentioned though in the updated reports. 

On 9/26/2023 at 10:15 AM, Squirrelhumper said:

I don't think you;ll get many people here disagreeing with that. Some are a bit more objective, we are far from without our own problems and we can't blame all of them on Westminster unfortunately. Some of the decisions/policy are entirely the SG's own doing. 

I think ignoring that or underplaying it has led to the SG get in too deep on certain issues that are way out of sync with the electorate. 

The difference is though, when a WM administration fucks up - and HS2 has been a fuck-up and an almighty waste of money - it isn't painted as some sort of existential disaster.

I mean, no one is suggesting the UK isn't fit for purpose because of the HS2 fiasco, yet this week we've had both Starmer and Alister Jack using the "failure" of the DRS as an example of why Scotland isn't capable of governing itself.

On 10/3/2023 at 11:19 PM, Toepoke said:

Cancelled north of Birmingham...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66998692

What a farce, all that cash to shave about 20 minutes off going from Birmingham to London.

Should've started off the project with a high speed link between Liverpool and Leeds.

Absolutely they should. That way, at the very least, one of the most populous parts of the north of England would have had some much needed improvements to its rail infrastructure. 

We moan about public transport up here, but for size of its population the rail infrastructure in the north of England is terrible, especially compared to the south east.

4 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

What a bunch of wee cocks, they don't even know WTF they are talking about!! Sad to see the big ginger Scottish lad in there agreeing with this Rishi pish!! "Rishi is brave" get yerself tae fuck!! 

14 hours ago, Grantyboy1983 said:

What a bunch of wee cocks, they don't even know WTF they are talking about!! Sad to see the big ginger Scottish lad in there agreeing with this Rishi pish!! "Rishi is brave" get yerself tae fuck!! 

😂 I actually laughed out loud when he said that . Its like a parody but unfortunately isnt. I seriously would happily punch every one of them in the face, its like a remake of Tom Browns school days.
Does the guy from Bradford call HS2,  NH2? 

Thankfully I will be dead and buried when this lot are the UK cabinet in 2045 . 

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, GroundsKeeper said:

Total waste of money along with Trident.

HS2 no benefit to Scotland what so ever, yet we contribute to it.

It really just sums up all that is totally wrong with being tied into a union. Scots paying for stuff of no benefit to Scotland whilst being used to convince thick Scots how great the union is improving its transport links when HS2 was not even coming within 200 miles of Scotland's borders.

6 minutes ago, aaid said:

HS2 may well be a complete fiasco but Scotland is not paying for it.

https://fullfact.org/online/hs2-scotland/

Is it not being paid for by borrowing? Does Scotland not fund a share of that borrowing? Or, are we getting a "refund" every year under Barnett until the debt is paid off? Which will be never.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Is it not being paid for by borrowing? Does Scotland not fund a share of that borrowing? Or, are we getting a "refund" every year under Barnett until the debt is paid off? Which will be never.

Barnett consequentials work this way.

Lets say a project in England costs £1billion over 10 years and is subject to Barnett in Scotland, then over that 10 year period Scotland will get £117 million  - 2019 numbers - added to that budget over that 10 year period.   The Scottish Government decides what it wants to spend that money on.

The UK Treasury to fund that £1billion project needs to raise £1.117 billion, usually through borrowing and needs to pay that debt back over time.   

So we get additional money, decide what we spend it on, and then have to pay back the money that was borrowed to give to us.