Squad - Elliot Anderson called up! - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad - Elliot Anderson called up!

8 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Gordon Marshall or Angus Gunn? 

Gordon and Marshall or Gunn and Clark should more be the point.

Just now if Gunn were to be ruled out through injury we would have to call on capless Zander Clark. Last Euros our back-up was Craig Gordon. Says it all.

Whichever way we look at it we were better off for goalkeepers then than now.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Marky said:

I realise the notion of allegiance is impossible to qualify, but I think we all know the ones that are at it.

Scott McTominay, Don Hutchison, Graham Alexander etc...yes please, every time.

Phil Bardsley, Matt Elliot, Paul Devlin etc....no thanks, regardless of how good they might be or how much they might benefit the team.

No idea about Anderson. Time will tell I guess.

Think you have to compare the number of caps Group A got against Group B.....

The one's who are in it for their own needs, rather than the actual want, are usually weeded out after 5-6 caps.... 

Also it was a sign of the times..... Phil Bardsley has the most tedious link to Scotland of ANY player we have ever been able to get through this rule, and yet there was people for years calling for him to be recalled (after very little in the way of initial outburst at his call up).

Thankfully I think these days are behind us now, and any players we get going forward will both add something to the team, and also be doing it for the want of now (look at Gunn, came straight in, only played 4 games and yet you would think he had been in the squad for 10 years or so going by the way he has fitted straight in).

I think Clarke knows that he has a carrot to dangle now that will be appealing to some players (spot at the Euro's and chance to be playing along side guys like Robertson, Tierney, McTominay, Gilmour and McGinn) and it will not be the same as the Brown, Vogts and Levein days where we were looking for just ANYONE with a link. 

On 8/29/2023 at 8:31 AM, Bzzzz said:

There are obvious variables with regards to how people view the national side. For me the national team is very much a part of my identity and I am fiercely proud and protective of it, it's very personal, it's part of me. For others it's just a football team they support and want to win at all costs, don't care as long as they're eligible etc etc.
Whilst I understand the eligibility rules doesn't mean I like them, and I certainly don't (especially when you have independent association status you really need to be careful with) but also you have to take into consideration that this is part of the player's career and that comes with much different considerations to the one's we have. I don't like it when a player "chooses" to play for Scotland, that jersey is sacred to me, to us, and I don't like to think that it's a second choice for anyone. If it is I'd much rather they didn't "choose" to make themselves available for us, if you're no good enough to play for your own country then...  but then there's sod all we can do about it, the manager's always going to use the rules to our sporting advantage as that's his job and tbh, I can't imagine many of us booing any player who gives their all.

One thing is for sure, we're in the majority a friendly bunch and once all the dust settles and we've stopped moaning about him being English I think the fella's in for a very eye opening welcome, pretty soon he's going to be coming over all Scottish and (unless he's an arsehole) once he's got used to us he's going to love every minute! 

Spot on

On 8/29/2023 at 8:35 AM, Bzzzz said:

Suggesting that someone is racist for not wanting an English player playing for the Scotland national team is moronic, have a word with yourself. If that's what you think then do you think international football should be banned for racism? 

This

On 8/29/2023 at 8:59 AM, vanderark14 said:

I am only throwing out a possibility here so don't think I believe this to be fact, his Dad may have strong connections to scotland via his Elliots mum. Its quite common down here

I know one girls who has a string surrey accent and only spent her childhood holidays in scotland but she cheers scotland on in every sport, she even had a scottish themed wedding. Shes very proud of her families roots. 

"Scottish themed wedding" that makes it sound like some daft party, everyone in kilts and see you jimmys

On 8/29/2023 at 9:24 AM, RDFH64 said:

Surely if he has a Scottish grandparent he also has at least one Scottish parent 🤔

Maybe the grandparent is only a tiny bit scottish

On 8/29/2023 at 10:07 AM, mccaughey85 said:

10 goals and 8 assists in the last 14 games. What more do you expect from him. Mls is probably overall a higher standard than the spl. He was also playing well in portugal before he left. 

Can you name any players that should be ahead of him that didn't make the squad? 

I cant think of any. 

I actually wasnt that bothered if gauld made the squad until recently but his form is that impressive that i really think he deserves a shot. 

If we go down the path of discarding our opinions because certain ppl know more than us then we might as well not discuss anything to do with football or most other topics. 

I have full faith in clarke and his decisions but that doesnt mean hes always correct or always choosing the right line up or squad. 

As i said the squads pretty much what i expected and I agree with his selections with one exception being gauld.

I agree he should definitely be involved 

On 8/29/2023 at 12:46 PM, Bzzzz said:

If you were eligible to play for both but weren't considered good enough to play for Scotland would you opt to play for England? 

I sure as fuck wouldn't.  

Never

On 8/29/2023 at 3:51 PM, csinclair said:

What are your thoughts on someone like Dom Hyam? Was born in Scotland whilst his dad was based there in the RAF but moved after 18 months and has lived in England with his English family ever since. 

He's English 

On 8/29/2023 at 3:54 PM, scotlad said:

I can understand people rolling their eyes at some 28-year-old journeyman from the English Championship being called up but Anderson isn't even 21 yet, he's played age-group level for us already and, crucially, he's a good player playing in the EPL.  I can't see what the issue is here, apart from petty prejudices emanating from people who've seen a couple of McGlashan sketches and didn't get the joke.

He English 🤷‍♂️

On 8/29/2023 at 12:46 PM, Bzzzz said:

If you were eligible to play for both but weren't considered good enough to play for Scotland would you opt to play for England? 

I sure as fuck wouldn't.  

What if your Granda was English and took you to Wembley as a child? Or more realistically what if your Granda was from Northern Ireland or the Faroes etc.  and took you to games or at least instilled an interest in them and you ended up not being good enough to play for Scotland? 

Everyone is different. If any professional footballer declares for Scotland, for whatever reason, and they turn up to every squad possible and give it their all then they are more than welcome in my eyes. 

On the other hand anyone who doesn’t give a shit about Scotland and just fancies boosting their wages by getting a few Scotland caps and doesn’t put the effort in for us can GTF. And I include people born in Scotland in that. 

The fact is that those venting anger and displeasure at Anderson being called up will be celebrating like mad if and when he scores just like they will have done when Adams, Dykes, McTominay and other such-likes have scored for Scotland. Therefore all the protesting posts should be taken as 'I do not like this selection but I don't feel strongly about it enough to not cheer if he does well for us'.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

Nah, he's Scottish.

If he's born in England to 2 English parents then he's not Scottish is he!? eligible he might be but not Scottish. Nationality isn't a costume you can put on when you think it suits you. 

6 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The fact is that those venting anger and displeasure at Anderson being called up will be celebrating like mad if and when he scores just like they will have done when Adams, Dykes, McTominay and other such-likes have scored for Scotland. Therefore all the protesting posts should be taken as 'I do not like this selection but I don't feel strongly about it enough to not cheer if he does well for us'.

This is true and I will too because I support the team and the jersey but it doesn't take away the principle of the thing or anyone's right to their opinion on it. 

In 1872 the Scotland team was specifically organised by Queens Park FC members and set up to be OUR national team, there had been a number of "unofficial" international matches in London where the Scotland team was made up of players, many of whom had VERY tenuous "eligibilities", one of the games actually only had 1 player born in Scotland (hence why they will never be recognised as international matches)!
These games were local (London) games and not national, QPFC decided to build an actual national team, a Scotland national team. 
This eligibility question raged on well into the 60s and on, the "Anglos", fowk that even PLAYED outwith Scotland were frowned upon! 

Kirk and others have put plenty of things to say someone can't be Scottish. 

If your Grandparents moved to Ingerlund, your Dad was born in Ingerlund, but he was brought up in a very Scottish way. He then had you and you were brought up Scottish. 

I understand they are technically English.

There are plenty of people where I live that are Scotland supporters and it was their Great Grandparents that were Scottish. 

I can't change the rules but it's very hard to stop them when you have ties like this.

If we lived in an ideal world it would be you can only play for the country you were born in, no exception. 

Going by the latest England squad, it does make you think its only a matter of time before Clarke is on the phone to Harney Barnes.....

Radio Scotland in the last few months have name dropped Barnes as a possible call up in passing conversation, which does suggest that someone in the background has heard something.

1 hour ago, stitch said:

If we lived in an ideal world it would be you can only play for the country you were born in, no exception. 

Those were the old eligibility rules. The problem was you had crazy stuff like Joe Baker having to play for England and his brother Gerry, the USA. So not exactly ideal.

On the other hand I've no issue if a Scots born Englishman like Dom Hyam wants to play for us, but Scotland shouldn't be his only option.

2 hours ago, Bzzzz said:

If he's born in England to 2 English parents then he's not Scottish is he!? eligible he might be but not Scottish. Nationality isn't a costume you can put on when you think it suits you. 

He was born in Newcastle - close enough. It's certainly closer to Scotland than where a lot of people who call themselves Scottish choose to live.

6 hours ago, scotlad said:

Nah, he's Scottish.

He's 💯 not Scottish 

4 hours ago, Bzzzz said:

This 

4 hours ago, wanderer said:

Going by the latest England squad, it does make you think its only a matter of time before Clarke is on the phone to Harney Barnes.....

Radio Scotland in the last few months have name dropped Barnes as a possible call up in passing conversation, which does suggest that someone in the background has heard something.

Very good player just what Scotland need

5 hours ago, wanderer said:

I've always got the impression he's an England or noone player. This is from an article in 2020 about him:

Most notably, he helped the Young Lions win the Toulon Tournament in 2017, where he finished joint-top scorer with four goals.

Two of them came in a win against Scotland, who Barnes qualifies for through his maternal grandparents. Paul (his Dad) reveals the SFA's performance director, Malky Mackay, asked 'quite a few times' if he'd be willing to play for Scotland but Barnes is England through and through.

12 hours ago, csinclair said:

I've always got the impression he's an England or noone player. This is from an article in 2020 about him:

Most notably, he helped the Young Lions win the Toulon Tournament in 2017, where he finished joint-top scorer with four goals.

Two of them came in a win against Scotland, who Barnes qualifies for through his maternal grandparents. Paul (his Dad) reveals the SFA's performance director, Malky Mackay, asked 'quite a few times' if he'd be willing to play for Scotland but Barnes is England through and through.

If it happens or not is a different matter, but I do think Clarke will have a word with him at least in coming months.