Europe 23/24 - Page 19 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

3 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

It's made it worse because it compounds human error. I know that a referee can get it wrong or a linesman can get it wrong but now you've got other people who are watching and who have got the benefits of technology and yet they still get it wrong!

Nail on head HS. 

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's also taken the game further away from those that understand it.

There was always the complaint that most referees didn't understand the game at the top level (I realise its Aberdeen we're talking about here) because they'd never played it themselves.

However, what they did have was experience and a proximity to the game because they were in amongst it. The VAR official chimes in whenever it suits him to do so it seems. In this case you've got a penalty given for an after the ball had gone challenge that had no impact on the move whatsoever in the final second of the game. No players were claiming a penalty despite it being the final attack. That should tell you something about whether it's really worthy of a penalty or not.

All that said, ridiculously needless challenge from Rubizic. If bombscare centre back was in the dictionary, his picture would be next to it. He's almost guaranteed to give the opposition a goal out of nowhere every game. Why is he still getting picked?

20 minutes ago, COLT NY said:

It's also taken the game further away from those that understand it.

There was always the complaint that most referees didn't understand the game at the top level (I realise its Aberdeen we're talking about here) because they'd never played it themselves.

However, what they did have was experience and a proximity to the game because they were in amongst it. The VAR official chimes in whenever it suits him to do so it seems. In this case you've got a penalty given for an after the ball had gone challenge that had no impact on the move whatsoever in the final second of the game. No players were claiming a penalty despite it being the final attack. That should tell you something about whether it's really worthy of a penalty or not.

All that said, ridiculously needless challenge from Rubizic. If bombscare centre back was in the dictionary, his picture would be next to it. He's almost guaranteed to give the opposition a goal out of nowhere every game. Why is he still getting picked?

He made some rash decisions in early games, but has bucked uo his ideas recently and played very well, enough to get a call up to the national team. 

I haven’t seen the penalty back, so can’t comment on it yet. 

Aberdeen team and fans will feel sick this morning. The result of that game hung on two penalty decisions. One was not even looked at by ref and looked like a stonewaller so Aberdeen were denied whilst the second which looked out of the area was reviewed and given allowing PAOK to steal all three points. Real tough on Aberdeen. Clearly, McKenzie was kicked and there was contact and should have been a pen. The reason I don't think it was given was how theatrical McKenzie went down a moment after contact - more canny and it may very well have been reviewed but nonetheless it was a penalty.

Got to feel for Aberdeen as they could and maybe should have had six points but only have one. Encouraging performance from young Scot Connor Barron I thought. One to watch.

37 minutes ago, slasher said:

No one stating the blindingly obvious here. Which is that Robson totally bawsed that with his triple sub when they were totally in control! 🤷🏼‍♂️

I wouldn't put that down to the substitutions though. I sensed around the lead-up to substitutions and immediately after Aberdeen players had got a little over-confident that became sloppy and PAOK sensed it and it gave them renewed hope. Watching it I always felt the Dons couldn't let PAOK get a goal back as that could open the floodgates and that is what happened - a sloppy error led to their first goal and poor/sloppy defending led to the equaliser. The rest is history.

52 minutes ago, slasher said:

No one stating the blindingly obvious here. Which is that Robson totally bawsed that with his triple sub when they were totally in control! 🤷🏼‍♂️

Ome of the subs was sensible. Polvara was breathing out of his arse so bringing Clarkson on made sense. The worst was Hayes for Barron, Barron was having a fantastic game and didn't look like he was struggling. 

14 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Ome of the subs was sensible. Polvara was breathing out of his arse so bringing Clarkson on made sense. The worst was Hayes for Barron, Barron was having a fantastic game and didn't look like he was struggling. 

I would echo that. Barron was impressive whereas god knows what Hayes was doing with that clearance that led to the second goal.

On 10/27/2023 at 12:48 AM, dan cake said:

Donsit 

Hibs are falling apart………….AGAIN

I love how quickly these things age……..

Never mind, I’m sure you’ll find something else to do the Sunday before Xmas. 

GIRFUY 🔴

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Sadly these days I think it is.

Celtic were dreadful, I reckon with 11 men they'd still have been leathered.

That really annoyed me, fuckin brainless from Maeda.

Rodgers CL record really belongs to the Celtic board, a litany of neglect. Unfortunately those shameless cunts will abdicate all responsibility as usual. The failure to recruit properly in the summer has never been more illustrated. My 95 year old father gets oot his chair quicker than Joe Hart moves his feet! 🙈

Unfortunately like most things in life all can be explained by money. Atletico’s squad is worth 4 - 5 times more than Celtic’s. Even Malmo is double that of hibs. Celtics is something like 10 times that of hibs. I don’t know what Liverpool is compared to rangers but it will likely be even more than the difference of Celtic and athletico. I never understand why folk get into nonsensical arguments like the above. Its never talked about by broadcasters in the build up to live matches. In my opinion broadcasters should show every player on the screen showing their market value and wage to give everyone a clear indication of what they are actually watching.