Womans World Cup..... - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Womans World Cup.....

39 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

The WSL and Championship below it is also taking the same shape as the EPL and championship. The clubs with money to invest are taking over.

When you think about it, it was inevitable really because investment from existing clubs was really the only way the women's game could grow. 

I had a look at their televised fixtures for the swpl, the first ten look evenly split when compared to the men's premiership but I reckon that will change and become an old firm fest soon enough. As the game grows I'm nor sure Glasgow City Will survive once the OF become dominant and they will. 

Yeah mate defo - they've already blown-up various leagues around the world trying to grow to quickly/ got greedy.  

The bloke's game can tip in relative peanuts, positive ESG points and see a return of sorts in comparison to the p&l on the blokes.  My concern would be they'll drop it like a hot potato as soon as some bright spark demands equal pay.

Heard a comment on yesterday's game that the WSL can no longer hoover up the best Spanish players as their big teams are paying a comparative fortune.  Next challenge is what does the WSL do when the best Lionesses naturally fuck off over there? 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

My daughter sat and watched some of the dons v celtic match with me on Sunday and she was cheering on aberdeen. I'm hoping that's the first sign 😆 

That's quality mate - hope it hooks her in.  Does she play?

I'm living the dream - been 6 Scotland (3 men 3 women) games with her and her record is W5 L1 GF14 GA2!

Her own block of fixtures start back Saturday then we go watch Panmure so hoping her interest sticks!

41 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

That's quality mate - hope it hooks her in.  Does she play?

I'm living the dream - been 6 Scotland (3 men 3 women) games with her and her record is W5 L1 GF14 GA2!

Her own block of fixtures start back Saturday then we go watch Panmure so hoping her interest sticks!

Shes only 5 right now...........................but as we chat on here she just sat down to watch the womens semi final. My toughest job will be ensuring she supports Scotland and not England 😂

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Compared to top level men's football, yes it is.

2 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Viewed in the context that only 35% of players are professional though I'd say they're doing no bad.  The difference from last WC is absolutely massive- to be honest it's the main reason I watch it as its interesting watching it progress.

Hamilton's U16s would beat the majority. And similar has happened as we all know

3 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Viewed in the context that only 35% of players are professional though I'd say they're doing no bad.  The difference from last WC is absolutely massive- to be honest it's the main reason I watch it as its interesting watching it progress.

I think it's clear why England will win this. They've taken their professional game to a new level above the yanks. 

17 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

They’re in the final 😂

I can't see Spain beating them though, can you? Not given the form they're in.

10 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

To be fair over the last 12-18 months they've probably shown themselves to be the best team in the world so can't really complain if they go on and win it as I thought they would.  

Aye, fair play to them. They got a bit lucky with the US being knocked out so early but you're right, the best teams should win tournaments.

It's just the saturation coverage of it that'll last from now until forever that I object to, but that's an auld sang.

I think it's clear why England will win this. They've taken their professional game to a new level above the yanks. 

Yeah it's been an interesting journey but Spain and England are likely the two teams from Europe who've tipped the most wedge in so no real surprise in the end.

Think the US are in for a rude awakening though as they just seem to chuck athletes on the pitch who're technically miles away.  

What point is it you are trying to make?

2 hours ago, Kirk said:

Hamilton's U16s would beat the majority. And similar has happened as we all know

The womens 100m record is 10.5 seconds and u16 boys is 10.2.

My daughter's u10s and u12s had a soccer camp at the same time as 11 year old lads team - girls won the week 3-1.  Girls u12s got to the final of national tournament at Edinburgh earlier this year and are a very good side.

However when they get to 16 they'd get thrashed by 16 year old lads because they simply can't compete with biology 

37 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I can't see Spain beating them though, can you? Not given the form they're in.

Aye, fair play to them. They got a bit lucky with the US being knocked out so early but you're right, the best teams should win tournaments.

It's just the saturation coverage of it that'll last from now until forever that I object to, but that's an auld sang.

Through gritted teeth it's good for us too as keeps it in the spotlight and the difference between the national team players playing here vs the WSL is absolutely huge.  

We've fucked up two massive chances unfortunately as we're more than good enough to be at the WC and should have pissed qualification for the Euros 

22 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

The womens 100m record is 10.5 seconds and u16 boys is 10.2.

My daughter's u10s and u12s had a soccer camp at the same time as 11 year old lads team - girls won the week 3-1.  Girls u12s got to the final of national tournament at Edinburgh earlier this year and are a very good side.

However when they get to 16 they'd get thrashed by 16 year old lads because they simply can't compete with biology 

Aye, up to about 12 max, there is not much difference in physical strength and height etc. Puberty/testosterone is the literal game changer and you're right, by 16 the difference is huge. 

7 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Shes only 5 right now...........................but as we chat on here she just sat down to watch the womens semi final. My toughest job will be ensuring she supports Scotland and not England 😂

Mine wants the Lionesses to win so just shoved her in the boot and will drop her in a carpark in Carlisle!

My wee lass went mini-kickers through the council at 5 I think - more playing games than any football but got her hooked in whilst the interest was there. Purely thinking of her own fitness and wellbeing obviously rather than trying to steer her away from Rainbows and stupid fucking craft badges obviously 😆 

53 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Mine wants the Lionesses to win so just shoved her in the boot and will drop her in a carpark in Carlisle!

My wee lass went mini-kickers through the council at 5 I think - more playing games than any football but got her hooked in whilst the interest was there. Purely thinking of her own fitness and wellbeing obviously rather than trying to steer her away from Rainbows and stupid fucking craft badges obviously 😆 

I have started to talk to her about football and there is a girls team at a local club, they can start when they reach year 1 in school which will be september. I will be ramping up the pressure when she goes back to school. 

8 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Yeah it's been an interesting journey but Spain and England are likely the two teams from Europe who've tipped the most wedge in so no real surprise in the end.

Think the US are in for a rude awakening though as they just seem to chuck athletes on the pitch who're technically miles away.  

Interesting article which may explain why the USA may be on the wane:

https://amp-theguardian-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2023/aug/11/us-soccer-pay-to-play-expenses-world-cup?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9&usqp=mq331AQIUAKwASCAAgM%3D#amp_tf=From %1%24s&aoh=16922194508085&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Ffootball%2F2023%2Faug%2F11%2Fus-soccer-pay-to-play-expenses-world-cup

7 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Aye, up to about 12 max, there is not much difference in physical strength and height etc. Puberty/testosterone is the literal game changer and you're right, by 16 the difference is huge. 

Exactly androgens are a hell of a drug.

20 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Cheers for that - their grassroots seems a shambles and if they're not competitive in the youth tournaments over the last decade can't see how they'll romp the next world cup.

Interesting the equal pay dispute and result has absolutely hammered their finances and all.  

9 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Cheers for that - their grassroots seems a shambles and if they're not competitive in the youth tournaments over the last decade can't see how they'll romp the next world cup.

Interesting the equal pay dispute and result has absolutely hammered their finances and all.  

I think there's always the possibility that teams can do well in one tournament and then flop at the next (e.g Italy Euro winners, then don't qualify for next WC). You can have key players injured, get older, retire but certainly seems to indicate more long term issues.