Womans World Cup..... - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Womans World Cup.....

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disclaimer, I dont watch womens football. Im not against it, actually I think its great that girls get to play football and some people like watching it however one thing thats increasingly getting on my wick is the over pushing of it and also the narrative that goes along with it (that cant be challenged)

Case in point, I kept hearing about Reece James sister and how great she is, then read a thing on Sky Sports this morning talking about her goal in the world cup yesterday saying if it was scored by Kane or De Brunye then the whole world would be talking about it. The inference being that its because it was scored by a women being the reason why they arent. So im thinking, oh that must have been very special so go and have a look at it and its literally just a side foot volley from about 12 yards out. Its the type of goal you see left backs scoring and nobody bats an eyelid.

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

Disclaimer, I dont watch womens football. Im not against it, actually I think its great that girls get to play football and some people like watching it however one thing thats increasingly getting on my wick is the over pushing of it and also the narrative that goes along with it (that cant be challenged)

Case in point, I kept hearing about Reece James sister and how great she is, then read a thing on Sky Sports this morning talking about her goal in the world cup yesterday saying if it was scored by Kane or De Brunye then the whole world would be talking about it. The inference being that its because it was scored by a women being the reason why they arent. So im thinking, oh that must have been very special so go and have a look at it and its literally just a side foot volley from about 12 yards out. Its the type of goal you see left backs scoring and nobody bats an eyelid.

Completely agree with this, I did exactly the same. When you hear about a supposed spectacular goal...............you always want to see it. I saw and couldn't believe the hype, it was a side foot volley which any half decent defence would have stopped. 

EDIT - I would add that not challenging the narrative isn't unique to womens football. The hype surrounding a lot of football needs to be challenged more IMO

Edited by vanderark14

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Very good post. I 100 percent agree with you , I just can't watch it, can't take it seriously. Graeme Souness was taken to the cleaners for calling it a "man's game", well not go sound prejudicial, but it is a man's game. I've not seen the goal, nor do I care, what is spectacular about a 12 yard volley.. I won't be watching anymore of this world Cup. Thank fuck the SPFL starts this weekend..

1 hour ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Very good post. I 100 percent agree with you , I just can't watch it, can't take it seriously. Graeme Souness was taken to the cleaners for calling it a "man's game", well not go sound prejudicial, but it is a man's game. I've not seen the goal, nor do I care, what is spectacular about a 12 yard volley.. I won't be watching anymore of this world Cup. Thank fuck the SPFL starts this weekend..

I wouldnt say football is a mans game. It can and should be played by girls and women.

To be honest there are loads of annoying things and one of them is this player of the match. If there are 22 men playing why can't it be the man of match, woman of the match if woman. many are slated for calling it a man's game when they are watching a mans game. One thing I have noticed is the lack of male officials at the women's WC.

On 8/5/2023 at 5:48 PM, Toepoke said:

Can't believe Jamaica managed to knock Brazil out!

Not sad to see the Irish depart early, although their performance probably mirrored what ours would have been.

I went to the Brazil game. It wasn’t the best game to watch on a cold Melbourne night. 

On 8/2/2023 at 6:07 PM, Diamond Scot said:

She’s just did a Beckham but not the good kind 

Genuinely I've thoroughly enjoyed this world cup.  When had a daughter presumed football wouldn't be our thing but Saturday we watched both games then went watch the juniors then played Fifa.

Sunday I got up stupid early watch one game then we both watched the US game before chucking a ball up for her to control for two hours.

I put the charity shield on and was asleep in 10 minutes- the quality is no doubt better but it just felt sterile.

Wee lass is having her Italia 90 moment and I'm living the fucking dream!

3 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Genuinely I've thoroughly enjoyed this world cup.  When had a daughter presumed football wouldn't be our thing but Saturday we watched both games then went watch the juniors then played Fifa.

Sunday I got up stupid early watch one game then we both watched the US game before chucking a ball up for her to control for two hours.

I put the charity shield on and was asleep in 10 minutes- the quality is no doubt better but it just felt sterile.

Wee lass is having her Italia 90 moment and I'm living the fucking dream!

I’m far from an expert but the quality of the defending seems to have improved a lot, might explain all the goalless games 

16 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I’m far from an expert but the quality of the defending seems to have improved a lot, might explain all the goalless games 

Keepers as well mate is like comparing apples and trampolines even from 4 years ago.

Still struggle under a high ball but they're typically 5 foot 8 rather than 6 foot 4 so all part of the attraction.  Some of the shot stopping has been top notch.

The other aspect is think only 30-40% of players are professional so the standard is only going to improve as it grows 

1 hour ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Keepers as well mate is like comparing apples and trampolines even from 4 years ago.

Still struggle under a high ball but they're typically 5 foot 8 rather than 6 foot 4 so all part of the attraction.  Some of the shot stopping has been top notch.

The other aspect is think only 30-40% of players are professional so the standard is only going to improve as it grows 

One thing that has stood out for me as well is that the goalkeeping has been a lot better - the Swedish goalie's performance against the USA yesterday was excellent.

England through to the QFs when it looked like the odds were stacked against them.  They haven't been as impressive as they were during the Euros but I still wouldn't bet against them reaching the final.

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

One thing that has stood out for me as well is that the goalkeeping has been a lot better - the Swedish goalie's performance against the USA yesterday was excellent.

England through to the QFs when it looked like the odds were stacked against them.  They haven't been as impressive as they were during the Euros but I still wouldn't bet against them reaching the final.

It's across the board and all rather than a fluke.  I remember a few year back when the red button on the Beeb was like online and they were showing the u19 girls.  Can't remember who in the semis I stumbled on but the keepers were both incredible.  Because they don't come so far for crosses they're saving bullet headers for 6 yards regularly.

Can't see England winning it as they've lost some key players although they'll have the easiest qf on paper.

Set pieces will do for Japan so really is wide open.

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Nigeria seemed to stop playing when England went down to 10, who also defended well. 

Took their penalties well England. 

Cracking pass and finish for the Australian goal.

Psychology seems a massive thing in the women's game maybe because it's not fully professional.

At 11v11 I thought they were going out but thought with x they immediately bizarrely had more chance.  Going down a player worked in their favour as Nigeria couldn't deal with being favourites. 

20 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

It's across the board and all rather than a fluke.  I remember a few year back when the red button on the Beeb was like online and they were showing the u19 girls.  Can't remember who in the semis I stumbled on but the keepers were both incredible.  Because they don't come so far for crosses they're saving bullet headers for 6 yards regularly.

Can't see England winning it as they've lost some key players although they'll have the easiest qf on paper.

Set pieces will do for Japan so really is wide open.

Absolutely, and they also appear to possess the ability to win games even when they're second best, which is often reckoned to be the sign of champions.

If the men's side had found themselves in a similar position they'd have gone to pieces.