Womans World Cup..... - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Womans World Cup.....

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think France might walk it - interesting dynamic is their coach has one the bloke's African Cup of Nations twice and managed at the blokes world cup too.  BE interesting to see how that translates.

Love watching Japan but worry they'll get overpowered. Sweden could play for set pieces Tony Pulis style and give them real problems I reckon 

5 hours ago, scotlad said:

Absolutely, and they also appear to possess the ability to win games even when they're second best, which is often reckoned to be the sign of champions.

If the men's side had found themselves in a similar position they'd have gone to pieces.

For want of a better phrase they've got bigger bollocks that the blokes side defo - wouldn't fancy a 50 50 with Milly Bright! 

I think in the Colombia game today there was an example of just how far things have moved on.  Late in the US game ball over the top to the back stick loads of space and Rapinoe's shape and position is all wrong, bounces miles off her knees and away for a goal kick- player who was apparently best in the world at some point and played the last 10 years of her career professionally in US along and 20 years pro overall.

Colombia lass ball over the top, back stick, loads of space- kills the ball stone dead bangs it in the goal two touch smooth as silk like its nowt.  She's playing domestically in a league that's been pro 6 years.  She's early 30s - the kids in their 20s and those not even broke through yet are going to kick on even further.

Wouldn't be surprised if US carry on with what they're doing, have Rapinoe on the coaching and wonder why they're inevitably crap in 4 years again.

7 hours ago, scotlad said:

Absolutely, and they also appear to possess the ability to win games even when they're second best, which is often reckoned to be the sign of champions.

If the men's side had found themselves in a similar position they'd have gone to pieces.

They’ve been pretty rank in the the two games I’ve seen though, Haiti and yesterday.  It’s not a case of finding a way to win, it’s being lucky.  They also haven’t played anyone of note yet. 

1 hour ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I don't see anything wrong with what the manager has said there. It's a moment of madness which is likely unlike her real character.v

1 hour ago, aaid said:

They’ve been pretty rank in the the two games I’ve seen though, Haiti and yesterday.  It’s not a case of finding a way to win, it’s being lucky.  They also haven’t played anyone of note yet. 

I ended up watching some of the England game yesterday and I agree with you here. The pundits and English players were talking about finding a way to win. They went through on penalties and were extremely lucky to get there.

3 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

For want of a better phrase they've got bigger bollocks that the blokes side defo - wouldn't fancy a 50 50 with Milly Bright! 

I wouldn't mind a tussle with her (albeit not in a footballing sense).  😉

2 hours ago, aaid said:

Aye, that's true.  Trouble is, as has happened in some of the recent men's tournaments, some of the teams of note have gone out early.  I would have fancied Germany and the USA to beat them but they've both been put out already.

Edited by scotlad

1 hour ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Genuinely pissed off to see the Spain keeper pretending be injured and their players just falling over like the blokes.

Inevitable unfortunately but still not good seeing it creeping into the women's game

The womens game will end up exactly the same as the men and I don't just mean the cheating. The same clubs in the mens will dominate the womens game - See scotland for this process already starting.  Glasgow City will become the next Doncaster Belles

Edited by vanderark14

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

The womens game will end up exactly the same as the men and I don't just mean the cheating. The same clubs in the mens will dominate the womens game - See scotland for this process already starting.  Glasgow City will become the next Doncaster Belles

Yeah defo - this world cup seems like an ending of an era and not all in a good way.

The rough edges and innocence of the women's game really appeals to me in comparison to how sterile the bloke's game is but that'll just be mirrored by the next world cup how fast things are going.  

13 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Yeah defo - this world cup seems like an ending of an era and not all in a good way.

The rough edges and innocence of the women's game really appeals to me in comparison to how sterile the bloke's game is but that'll just be mirrored by the next world cup how fast things are going.  

The WSL and Championship below it is also taking the same shape as the EPL and championship. The clubs with money to invest are taking over.

When you think about it, it was inevitable really because investment from existing clubs was really the only way the women's game could grow. 

I had a look at their televised fixtures for the swpl, the first ten look evenly split when compared to the men's premiership but I reckon that will change and become an old firm fest soon enough. As the game grows I'm nor sure Glasgow City Will survive once the OF become dominant and they will. 

9 hours ago, Kirk said:

The quality of the football is fucking dire

Viewed in the context that only 35% of players are professional though I'd say they're doing no bad.  The difference from last WC is absolutely massive- to be honest it's the main reason I watch it as its interesting watching it progress.

28 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Viewed in the context that only 35% of players are professional though I'd say they're doing no bad.  The difference from last WC is absolutely massive- to be honest it's the main reason I watch it as its interesting watching it progress.

My daughter sat and watched some of the dons v celtic match with me on Sunday and she was cheering on aberdeen. I'm hoping that's the first sign 😆