Scotland v Georgia - Match day thread - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Georgia - Match day thread

Tartan blood

There is only one point of last night.  We won.  Analysing every game would drive us crazy.  On Saturday we didn't play that well but came away with the points.  A lot like Celtic last season.  Even when they weren't that great they still dug out a victory.  That is what wins leagues.  We will win in Cyprus and that will carry us through.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I thought they knocked the ball about well at times. The boy Gagnidze (had to look that up) in midfield was tremendous, and still only 20. Definite potential to cause teams problems in Tbilisi.

Fair enough. I thought they looked quite poor overall. They struggled to create any real chances. Either way it will probably be a much tougher game over in Georgia. 

21 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

We are looking too strong to fuck this up. Just need 1 victory from the remaining 4 games.

The way georgia played tonight then i would expect us to get at least a draw over there although i would imagine they will play alot better at home because last night they looked brutal.

I expect they'll be a different proposition over there.  I was slightly surprised too by how poor they were last night.  The blonde guy playing on the right wing for them asked a few questions and although he was quiet last night, Kvaratskhelia had a couple of runs at us which caused some panic.  He seems like a temperamental boy though, however, if he is in the mood I can imagine him doing some more serious damage.   

One of my favourite bits of last night was when the ref came out to do a pitch inspection and all the Scotland players started firing balls at him to show that the ball was rolling.

Whilst it was funny I think it highlights a change in mentality of Scottish players over last few years. We no longer wait for refs to play fair. We actively try to influence them now and are switched on to other teams doing the same. For example at half time of Spain game 3 spanish players went straight to the ref and assistant to highlight how rough we were being. Robertson did an about turn to get right in there and argue our case.

We also surround the ref to get players booked, stay down to do the same, Hickey rolling back onto pitch to get treatment to allow Patterson time to get changed and warmed up etc. Some might not like these types of things but there is no doubt that all the top sides do it.

19 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

One of my favourite bits of last night was when the ref came out to do a pitch inspection and all the Scotland players started firing balls at him to show that the ball was rolling.

Whilst it was funny I think it highlights a change in mentality of Scottish players over last few years. We no longer wait for refs to play fair. We actively try to influence them now and are switched on to other teams doing the same. For example at half time of Spain game 3 spanish players went straight to the ref and assistant to highlight how rough we were being. Robertson did an about turn to get right in there and argue our case.

We also surround the ref to get players booked, stay down to do the same, Hickey rolling back onto pitch to get treatment to allow Patterson time to get changed and warmed up etc. Some might not like these types of things but there is no doubt that all the top sides do it.

Spain defo couldn't deal with getting their own shitebaggery back - McGinn gesticulating like Hickey was shot was a pisser and Spain bit hook line and sinker.

What I liked from last night was when Georgia finally came out we left them waiting - little details like that make a difference defo 👍 

6 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Unlikely but Georgia could still finish above us.

After seeing them last night i would say unlikely is an understatement. Don't see them getting much from Spain home or away or even Norway away. Maybe they can perform better than last night but doubt it would be enough. 

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

I expect they'll be a different proposition over there.  I was slightly surprised too by how poor they were last night.  The blonde guy playing on the right wing for them asked a few questions and although he was quiet last night, Kvaratskhelia had a couple of runs at us which caused some panic.  He seems like a temperamental boy though, however, if he is in the mood I can imagine him doing some more serious damage.   

At one point I was sure that blond guy was going to get booked or sent off , in the early stages of the game absolutely nothing was going right for him and he was getting really infuriated , it was quite funny . I wouldn’t normally have been so aware but his blond hair drew my attention to him . 

49 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

I’m not sure this is something to be proud of. I wouldn’t say a team needs to do it to be a “top side” either. 

19 minutes ago, thesaint said:

After seeing them last night i would say unlikely is an understatement. Don't see them getting much from Spain home or away or even Norway away. Maybe they can perform better than last night but doubt it would be enough. 

Georgia will take nothing from Spain and will likely lose in Norway. I reckon they’ll get 10/11 points at best and that’s if they beat us in Georgia. 

13 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

18 points are there for the taking with the same application against Cyprus and Georgia away. I expect us to take nothing in Spain and Norway I think a point as a minimum. 

The way things are going i cant see us losing or drawing ever again - endless wins until global warming gets us 

But seriously Cyprus dont look great dont have great players i see us wining there, same for Georgia apart for the Napoli lad (who as one poster on here righly said a couple of days ago is too greedy) don't have anything that worries me see us wining there. Spain tidy footballers but little end product can see us getting a draw there no problem, then Norway by then its done and would love to see some squad players getting the experience and if we were to lose but get a few fringe players getting valuable experience no issues on that from me 

Technically thought they were very good in patches but their temperament is evidently suspect so will struggle away from home in particular.

Fancy them for third though although the bloke at the back who literally and figuratively looked to be running in water was an obvious weakness.

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m not sure this is something to be proud of. I wouldn’t say a team needs to do it to be a “top side” either. 

I think you would struggle to find a top team who dont act this way. 

Im not talking about cheating btw. Just not being overly fair or walkovers like i feel we have been in the past.

20 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Im not talking about cheating btw. Just not being overly fair or walkovers like i feel we have been in the past.

Yeh its just the way it is. Sadly football is like that and we need to fight fire with fire to a certain extent.

Saying that i like us to be fair as much as possible. 

58 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Yeah I get that but it’s embarrassing nonsense. 

Very small thing hardly worth mentioning but I will anyway.

I find it strange / disappointing that when we made a sub in injury time last night that Clarke went for Christie. 

I thought it would be an ideal time to give a cap to somebody like Ferguson who has turned up to numerous camps now without getting much if any gametime. Doesnt make much of a difference as he wouldnt have touched the ball much anyway but at least he would have another cap and have been on the pitch. Christie had already played in Norway.

27 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Very small thing hardly worth mentioning but I will anyway.

I find it strange / disappointing that when we made a sub in injury time last night that Clarke went for Christie. 

I thought it would be an ideal time to give a cap to somebody like Ferguson who has turned up to numerous camps now without getting much if any gametime. Doesnt make much of a difference as he wouldnt have touched the ball much anyway but at least he would have another cap and have been on the pitch. Christie had already played in Norway.

Very surprised ferguson didnt get any gametime. Cant really argue with the results but i thought he deserved a chance to show what he can do after a brilliant season.

11 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Man of the Match by a country mile leading the line admirably.  When less gifted members of the team were increasingly spooked by a hostile crowd he led by example bollocking them for pushing water towards the goal! 

The leaf blowers showed their inexperience on the international stage for me and although full of endeavour lacked end product.

We were in the pub with the boy who's getting the praise Dad. He text when the game got going saying he was absolutely shattered 🤣

2 hours ago, Kirk said:

We were in the pub with the boy who's getting the praise Dad. He text when the game got going saying he was absolutely shattered 🤣

I was feeling the pain of the ball boys who were sent out with the giant jaggy brushes. They too learned something last night!

5 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Yeah I get that but it’s embarrassing nonsense. 

I know, but find it funny.

So many years of having the pish ripped out of us, I see a wee smirk in the players giving it back...   We invented this game, you'll have had yer nonsense, have some of this apple juice 🥳

Clarke will have our boys prepared for the georgia away fixture. Georgia have already started playing the victim card, their managers post match interview was embarrassing but he has ammo to rile his players up for the home fixture. IMO they can be as riled up as the want. We have a team full of captains who are not afraid to work hard and fight for the points. I'm confident we will beat them again.

Edited by vanderark14

6 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Clarke will have our boys prepared for the georgia away fixture. Georgia have already started playing the victim card, their managers post match interview was embarrassing but he has ammo to rile his players up for the home fixture. IMO they can be as riled up as the want. We have a team full of captains who are not afraid to work hard and fight for the points. I'm confident we will beat them again.

I agree.

I am surprised that our own fans have not noticed a whole new mindset the Scotland team has now. A determined and will to win mindset that goes way above teams of ours of recent years. Confidence too is coursing through their veins. It is surprising how some of our fans have this almost supersticious thought that our team will bottle it instilling automatically traits of different set of players onto our current set of players. Why?

23 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I agree.

I am surprised that our own fans have not noticed a whole new mindset the Scotland team has now. A determined and will to win mindset that goes way above teams of ours of recent years. Confidence too is coursing through their veins. It is surprising how some of our fans have this almost supersticious thought that our team will bottle it instilling automatically traits of different set of players onto our current set of players. Why?

That's what we've become accustom too. 

Players IMO didn't care as much for the national side under previous managers. They may have had a winning mentality for their clubs but it never transferred to Scotland. Wasn't it Kenny Miller who said some players saw Scotland trip as a break? 

We also have a proper manager who only wants committed players. Clarkes only focus is Scotland, he's not there to appease club managers who want their players rested, he's there to get results for Scotland 

Edited by vanderark14