Strength in depth - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strength in depth

0Neils40yarder

3 hours ago, Whelky75 said:

Maybe internet forums aren’t the place for me, if we’re seriously just meant to ignore blatant spelling mistakes, as if they aren’t there. Unfortunately, that isn’t how my brain operates. If I see a mistake, I want to fix it. I can understand the opposite opinion, that it doesn’t matter, but I’m surprised at how much of a majority that opposing opinion seems to have on here!

I’ve forgotten what you were referring to earlier when you mentioned your blood was boiling, but seeing spelling mistakes, especially on short and simple words, has the same effect on me.

I don’t mean any offence by correcting someone’s spelling - I’m just pointing it out so that person can either correct the typing mistake or learn from the spelling mistake, for future reference. As I said, I’d hope and expect that people would do the same for me. Obviously if that’s not the way the forum works, then I’ll probably soon be removed and people will be free to continue making spelling mistakes to their hearts’ content!

Wank’er

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Whelky75 said:

I mean…. It’s not ok to point out spelling mistakes, but abuse like that is fine?!

Surely not?

I mean….you and Bobster are clearly the same person and you are trying to make a point. Badly.

Here’s a hint:

If you act like a wanker and people call you a wanker it’s not abuse.

4 hours ago, Whelky75 said:

Maybe internet forums aren’t the place for me, if we’re seriously just meant to ignore blatant spelling mistakes, as if they aren’t there. Unfortunately, that isn’t how my brain operates. If I see a mistake, I want to fix it. I can understand the opposite opinion, that it doesn’t matter, but I’m surprised at how much of a majority that opposing opinion seems to have on here!

I’ve forgotten what you were referring to earlier when you mentioned your blood was boiling, but seeing spelling mistakes, especially on short and simple words, has the same effect on me.

I don’t mean any offence by correcting someone’s spelling - I’m just pointing it out so that person can either correct the typing mistake or learn from the spelling mistake, for future reference. As I said, I’d hope and expect that people would do the same for me. Obviously if that’s not the way the forum works, then I’ll probably soon be removed and people will be free to continue making spelling mistakes to their hearts’ content!

Pointing out spelling mistakes is only a small part of the problem. If that was all you did people could probably stomach it. 

Lol theres some right oddballs in here. I remember getting a hard time of members for using could of and should of instead could've or should've. This place has some right weirdos who could with getting out the house more.

Seems like this chripper/dark knight chap is back with a vengeance. 

5 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Lol theres some right oddballs in here. I remember getting a hard time of members for using could of and should of instead could've or should've. This place has some right weirdos who could with getting out the house more.

You got a hard time for that and rightly so...horrible behaviour, particularly when it was pointed out to you.

Anyway, cracking discussion and I think it's pretty obvious that this group of players is the best squad we have had since 1998 and there is definitely an argument that it is even better than that one.

6 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

There're and off. 

2 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

You got a hard time for that and rightly so...horrible behaviour, particularly when it was pointed out to you.

Anyway, cracking discussion and I think it's pretty obvious that this group of players is the best squad we have had since 1998 and there is definitely an argument that it is even better than that one.

To get back on topic, we now have IMO the following certain starters: Gunn, McTominay, McGregor, McGinn, Tierney, Robertson. The rest are either/or's with not much between them, viz. Patterson/Hickey, Adams/Dykes, Porteous/Hendy, Armstrong/Christie and Hanley/McKenna.

Though after the last game Porteous and Hanley may have secured their positions. Certainly in the next game Clarke will only really have to decide between Dykes and Adams.

42 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

To get back on topic, we now have IMO the following certain starters: Gunn, McTominay, McGregor, McGinn, Tierney, Robertson. The rest are either/or's with not much between them, viz. Patterson/Hickey, Adams/Dykes, Porteous/Hendy, Armstrong/Christie and Hanley/McKenna.

Though after the last game Porteous and Hanley may have secured their positions. Certainly in the next game Clarke will only really have to decide between Dykes and Adams.

The good thing is that after the September games most of us probably thought that McKenna and Hendry had secured their positions (if fit). It's great that we now have options at the back and McTominay doesn't need to be one of them. 

Just now, Orraloon said:

The good thing is that after the September games most of us probably thought that McKenna and Hendry had secured their positions (if fit). It's great that we now have options at the back and McTominay doesn't need to be one of them. 

Also Souttar could be in contention too but needs game time.

5 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Lol you kept hassling me about in the same way this weirdo hassles ppl about spelling etc.

You should of just let it go instead acting like a relentless idiot.

The others that kept hassling me about just didnt like the point i was making at the time which is kind of pathetic really.

If you cant argue something without resorting to petty point scoring over grammar and spelling then an internet forum like this is probably not the best place for you to discuss your interests etc.

I see Allen Campbell is starting every game for Luton these days. They're only three points off 2nd in championship if they win today (pending the 3pm games) so just wondering if he's got the quality to seriously threaten the CM spots or will be more of a Kenny McLean squad player.

Midfield area is so exciting currently, hasn't been this strong since the mid 90s imo.

11 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Lol you kept hassling me about in the same way this weirdo hassles ppl about spelling etc.

You should of just let it go instead acting like a relentless idiot.

The others that kept hassling me about just didnt like the point i was making at the time which is kind of pathetic really.

If you cant argue something without resorting to petty point scoring over grammar and spelling then an internet forum like this is probably not the best place for you to discuss your interests etc.

Alternatively, if you can’t spell, or use basic grammar rules which are taught in primary school, then an internet forum like this is probably not the best place for you to discuss your interests either.

6 minutes ago, Whelky75 said:

Alternatively, if you can’t spell, or use basic grammar rules which are taught in primary school, then an internet forum like this is probably not the best place for you to discuss your interests either.

Well why dont you go away and start a scottish football forum where everyone has to have perfect spelling and grammar and see how well that goes lol.

You would never get anything discussed on there and ppl would soon lose interest and move to sites where ppl arent so hung up on correct spelling.

Out of interest why did you only pull up  Caledonian craig for a spelling mistake(if it was one) when myself and countless other have made spelling mistakes in this thread?

Maybe there should be a seperate section on this board for ppl hung up on these things and they can discuss with other like minded ppl the topics they want with absolute adherence to correct spelling and perfect use of the english language. You and oneils40yarder can have a great time in there lol.

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Well why dont you go away and start a scottish football forum where everyone has to have perfect spelling and grammar and see how well that goes lol.

You would never get anything discussed on there and ppl would soon lose interest and move to sites where ppl arent so hung up on correct spelling.

Out of interest why did you only pull up  Caledonian craig for a spelling mistake(if it was one) when myself and countless other have made spelling mistakes in this thread?

Maybe there should be a seperate section on this board for ppl hung up on these things and they can discuss with other like minded ppl the topics they want with absolute adherence to correct spelling and perfect use of the english language. You and oneils40yarder can have a great time in there lol.

I think I pulled someone up because they had used the wrong word completely - some combination of their/there/they’re - rather than a spelling mistake, thus changing the meaning of the sentence, or making it not make sense at all. That was why.

Can you not spell and use grammar very well, or do you just choose not to? If it’s not important to you, then so be it, but it is important to some people. It beggars belief to me, that you’d wear being regularly incorrect as such a badge of honour.

Whelks, been an ignorant, narcissistic cunt myself. Still am 

your no doing yer self any favours. But crack on . I do . Verstehen Sie ? 

when do you think we had a better squad and coach ? I would like to know 

1 hour ago, Shaundy said:

Whelks, been an ignorant, narcissistic cunt myself. Still am 

your no doing yer self any favours. But crack on . I do . Verstehen Sie ? 

when do you think we had a better squad and coach ? I would like to know 

Any time up to about the year 2000, for starters.

7 hours ago, Whelky75 said:

I think I pulled someone up because they had used the wrong word completely - some combination of their/there/they’re - rather than a spelling mistake, thus changing the meaning of the sentence, or making it not make sense at all. That was why.

Can you not spell and use grammar very well, or do you just choose not to? If it’s not important to you, then so be it, but it is important to some people. It beggars belief to me, that you’d wear being regularly incorrect as such a badge of honour.

Are you seriously trying to tell me you didnt understand what he was saying when he used the word their instead of they're? What other meaning could there have been to that sentence?

In all serious you really come across as an oddball and you seem to have a knack of getting on ppls nerves. 

I am guessing you are chripper/dark knight?

If you feel this strongly about spelling then why are you not trawling through every topic/subject correcting mistakes?

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Are you seriously trying to tell me you didnt understand what he was saying when he used the word their instead of they're? What other meaning could there have been to that sentence?

In all serious you really come across as an oddball and you seem to have a knack of getting on ppls nerves. 

I am guessing you are chripper/dark knight?

If you feel this strongly about spelling then why are you not trawling through every topic/subject correcting mistakes?

The onus is on the person writing the post to make sure it is correct and understandable - it shouldn’t be on the reader to have to stop and reread and change words here and there, so that it makes sense. To me, it’s selfish and disrespectful to write something that doesn’t make sense, expecting others to have to interpret it for themselves. You’re right, it’s only a minor change that was needed, but it’s still the person writing the post who should do that, rather than every single reader having to do it!

I don’t care about it enough or have time to trawl the forum correcting mistakes - but I will point them out when I see them. No offence is meant. Surely we all want to learn from our mistakes? You seem to be carrying a grudge that someone dared to point out your mistakes, months or years ago. You should be thankful that they tried to help you.

No, I’m not ‘chripper’ or ‘dark knight’.