Mikey Johnston - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Mikey Johnston

csinclair

25 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I think its a bit daft to say you wouldnt consider playing for another country. If i was 25/26 and not good enough to play for scotland then i would certainly consider playing for another country especially if there was a decent chance of getting to major tournaments.

Its a dream for young footballers to play at a euros or world cup. Mikey johnston is about to turn 24 and clearly knows he isnt going to get a chance with scotland so has taken an option most would take. 

Personally i wish him all the best. Hopefully he helps ireland out and plays well. Just not against us lol.

It's actually not daft as it is my right, but I respect your opinion, you are entitled. To be honest, I am eligible for Scotland, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, and Canada. I would only play for Scotland, cannot, and would not pull on another countries jersey, that's just who I am. Some folk may not agree, but it's my decision. I was born in Scotland, my allegiance only belongs to her. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

It's actually not daft as it is my right, but I respect your opinion, you are entitled. To be honest, I am eligible for Scotland, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, and Canada. I would only play for Scotland, cannot, and would not pull on another countries jersey, that's just who I am. Some folk may not agree, but it's my decision. I was born in Scotland, my allegiance only belongs to her. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Pretending to support Celtic doesn't make you Irish.  

Absolute state of this thread.

Back to more objective matters, I think the fact Johnston has not been called up to our main squad is more indicative of how far our squad depth has come in the past 5/6 years.

If anything, the strength and depth of our squad has probably switched places with Ireland's in the same time period more or less.

2 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Absolute state of this thread.

Back to more objective matters, I think the fact Johnston has not been called up to our main squad is more indicative of how far our squad depth has come in the past 5/6 years.

If anything, the strength and depth of our squad has probably switched places with Ireland's in the same time period more or less.

Fair point, I agree.. The fact MJ is not a regular starter, and we have better options, I don't think to many folk are bothered he is switching to Ireland. Alot of players are doing this these days. Not good enough for their country of birth, so they go down the granny route.. Now, if it was Ben Doak we were talking about, it would be a  20 page thread already...

• 3 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I don't know what to say... 

I'm looking at that Ireland squad and I'm not envious of any player they've got any more. The fact Mikey Johnston is getting in their squad and would be nowhere near ours is telling of that.

1 minute ago, Clyde1998 said:

I'm looking at that Ireland squad and I'm not envious of any player they've got any more. The fact Mikey Johnston is getting in their squad and would be nowhere near ours is telling of that.

Not even Gavin Bazunu or Evan Ferguson?  I'd take both of them for Scotland in a second.

2 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Not even Gavin Bazunu or Evan Ferguson?  I'd take both of them for Scotland in a second.

Bazunu, I'd take right now but I think that's more a result of our current keeping situation.

Ferguson will likely become a player I'm envious they've got in the future, but not right now. He'd maybe get into the squad though.

2 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

Bazunu, I'd take right now but I think that's more a result of our current keeping situation.

Ferguson will likely become a player I'm envious they've got in the future, but not right now. He'd maybe get into the squad though.

Given our options up front, I don't think there's any doubt Ferguson would make our squad. 

3 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

Maybe?

Lol he would be straight into our squad no bother.

13 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Getting a game tonight against latvia. Fair play to the lad, he wasnt going to get a game with us. Shame as hes the kind of player we usually lack.

Playing well too. Beat 2 players and nearly scored there

He did more in 25 minutes than certain Scotland players have managed over the course of several caps.  He played a major role in Ireland's winning goal and was unlucky not to score himself.  

Latvia are no great side, I think it's fair to say, but they're not much worse than Cyprus.

27 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Johnston will probably end being a big loss. Nevermind lets hope doak becones a star.

Yeh Doak will probably turn out much better but you never know & that's the point.

We shouldn't be losing players with as much natural ability as Johnston , if he progresses to anywhere near his potential he is probably good enough to have made some impact for us .

13 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Yeh Doak will probably turn out much better but you never know & that's the point.

We shouldn't be losing players with as much natural ability as Johnston , if he progresses to anywhere near his potential he is probably good enough to have made some impact for us .

From a personal point of view i am really disappointed as i felt johnston was a really big talent especially when he was 20/21. He was playing quite well for celtic and looked like he could be a big star in the future. If we had called him up around then and he played well in games then he could easily have been part of our present day squad. Hes the type of player we could need especially if we are playing with a back four. A winger who can make things happen is always going to be a useful addition for us. Its why i have always wanted morgan in the squad and still do.

For what its worth i am pretty sure i seen johnston at a scotland game a few years ago which suggests he wanted to play for us and was a fan. He clearly wasnt going to get that chance and has taken his only route to international football. Good luck to him and hopefully he does well for ireland. Just not against us lol.

40 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

From a personal point of view i am really disappointed as i felt johnston was a really big talent especially when he was 20/21. He was playing quite well for celtic and looked like he could be a big star in the future. If we had called him up around then and he played well in games then he could easily have been part of our present day squad. Hes the type of player we could need especially if we are playing with a back four. A winger who can make things happen is always going to be a useful addition for us. Its why i have always wanted morgan in the squad and still do.

For what its worth i am pretty sure i seen johnston at a scotland game a few years ago which suggests he wanted to play for us and was a fan. He clearly wasnt going to get that chance and has taken his only route to international football. Good luck to him and hopefully he does well for ireland. Just not against us lol.i

If we had lost him a couple of years ago I would have been gutted as he looked potentially quite special   Now we can only speculate on whether he is much of a loss.

Maybe the game you saw him at was a freebie for all the under 21 squad? If not  & he was there as a actual fan I think it's terrible to think that Clarke & his scouting staff may not be bothering themselves to watch & motivate players such as him by telling them there is a pathway to full squad selection .

We aren't just a squad of 22 to 26 there has to be competition for places which means encouraging talented fringe players. Surely that's a given & doesn't need to be stated in a contract if your a successful coach or Scout 🤔

3 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

If we had lost him a couple of years ago I would have been gutted as he looked potentially quite special   Now we can only speculate on whether he is much of a loss.

Maybe the game you saw him at was a freebie for all the under 21 squad? If not  & he was there as a actual fan I think it's terrible to think that Clarke & his scouting staff may not be bothering themselves to watch & motivate players such as him by telling them there is a pathway to full squad selection .

We aren't just a squad of 22 to 26 there has to be competition for places which means encouraging talented fringe players. Surely that's a given & doesn't need to be stated in a contract if your a successful coach or Scout 🤔

It looked like he was there with his dad and maybe his uncle or dads mate. Either way its disappointing but i doubt clarke could justify calling him up based on the last 2 years form.

Lets just hope he doesnt turn into cr7 or robben in the next year or 2.

Even the Ireland fans on twitter last night were telling the FAI twitter feed to calm down with the Messi comparisons for him last night 😂

Only Ireland fans I have seen on social media creaming themselves over his call up at the ones from Glasgow who are just delighted to have a Celtic player in the Ireland squad, most fans are pretty "meh" on him.

Good luck to him, but doubt he will be a big miss, as he plays in a position that Clarke dose not really utilize with Scotland, he is as injury prone as they come, and he is so far out the picture at Celtic, I would be shocked if he is still there next season unless Celtic plan a major sale of the 3/4 players that play in the same position as him that Postecoglou has signed since he came through the door.