Mikey Johnston - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Mikey Johnston

csinclair

Looks like Stephen Kenny has been speaking to him and he's set to declare for Ireland.

Fair enough I guess as I couldn't see him getting a Scotland call up anytime soon. He qualifies as his grandparents are from Derry.

Edited by csinclair

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a huge loss, he is 24 in a few weeks time and his career has never really reached the heights of what was expected of him as a kid, plus he is so far out the picture at Celtic, I doubt even the Irish would make much of him.

Plus you have to add in how injury prone he is.

We have Christie to fill in that position for at least the next 5 years, and I doubt Ben Doak will be overlooked much longer....

1 hour ago, csinclair said:

Looks like Stephen Kenny has been speaking to him and he's set to declare for Ireland.

Fair enough I guess as I couldn't see him getting a Scotland call up anytime soon. He qualifies as his grandparents are from Derry.

Goodbye and all the best. 😂

3 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Probably sees he's got fk all chance of getting near our side.  Oh well, McGeady and McCarthy didn't exactly turn out to be disastrous losses either despite all the early hype.

McGeady would have been a great asset in the Euro 2008 campaign when he was arguably at his peak

43 minutes ago, wanderer said:

McGeady would have been a great asset in the Euro 2008 campaign when he was arguably at his peak

I wouldn't have swapped Faddy for him.  Not sure how else he could've fitted into that side.  Certainly not into the starting 11 anyway.

20 minutes ago, daviebee said:

I wouldn't have swapped Faddy for him.  Not sure how else he could've fitted into that side.  Certainly not into the starting 11 anyway.

Faddy never really established himself in the team until Paris (he had been using sparingly by Smith for a good long time by that point, and even Eck).... it probably would have came at the expense of someone Teale, McCulloch or Hartley more so than Faddy.

1 hour ago, daviebee said:

McGeady circa 2007 would've been one of the first names on the team sheet!

4 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Not something I like to see. He seemed to be doing well in Portugal in the first half of the season.

Focuses the mind on getting Doak in the senior squad immediately (no idea if he’s eligible elsewhere but let’s face it he probably is). 

Yeh disappointing as now he is injury free & getting a run of games albeit at a low level he is playing very well. 

He is a player plenty of us got quite excited about a couple of years ago. Only time will tell if he comes close to fulfilling that early potential & becomes someone that could make a difference in our squad. Like you said if Doak who looks another level continues to impress should be in the first team squad asap. There's other potential wide talents such as Mebude to come but there's no guarantees with any of them yet. I prefer to have as many options as possible as we know more don't fulfill early promise than do.

I do find it very sad that a young Scottish born player is so keen to switch without showing a bit of patience though I've said plenty about my feelings on why we lost Souttar & I don't want to go over negative old ground especially for a player who hasn't done enough in his career as of yet to get worked up about.

7 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Yeh disappointing as now he is injury free & getting a run of games albeit at a low level he is playing very well. 

He is a player plenty of us got quite excited about a couple of years ago. Only time will tell if he comes close to fulfilling that early potential & becomes someone that could make a difference in our squad. Like you said if Doak who looks another level continues to impress should be in the first team squad asap. There's other potential wide talents such as Mebude to come but there's no guarantees with any of them yet. I prefer to have as many options as possible as we know more don't fulfill early promise than do.

I do find it very sad that a young Scottish born player is so keen to switch without showing a bit of patience though I've said plenty about my feelings on why we lost Souttar & I don't want to go over negative old ground especially for a player who hasn't done enough in his career as of yet to get worked up about.

He is 24, had his fair share of injury problems, and so far out the picture at Celtic (it was clear it was curtains for him when Postecoglou went out and signed a load of wide players as soon as he was through the door at Celtic), that I think Ireland may use him sparingly at best.

David Turnbull is established in the Celtic team, and even he struggles to make a break through in Clarke's team.

Its probably going to turn in to as major as loss for Scotland as losing Matt Kennedy to Northern Ireland was....

3 hours ago, theabsentee said:

I'd have had him in the squad about three years ago when he was playing regularly for Celtic.

Disappointed he's made this decision; at 24 he still had a good chance of being called up at some stage if he could find first team football at a decent level. Clearly he couldn't have been all that fussed about playing for Scotland though if he's decided to cash in his chips at this stage.

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

I'd have had him in the squad about three years ago when he was playing regularly for Celtic.

Disappointed he's made this decision; at 24 he still had a good chance of being called up at some stage if he could find first team football at a decent level. Clearly he couldn't have been all that fussed about playing for Scotland though if he's decided to cash in his chips at this stage.

Yeh sadly , Irish been sniffing about him for years though I believe. I know we're guilty of it within the English youth set up but think there should be more respect between between 2 nations with much smaller pools of players to choose from.

On bright side we've got Ben Doak, this video proves he is 100% Glaswegian & not frightened to show it taking on half the Porto team after the penalty shoot out in the Youth League last night💪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🤣

5 hours ago, wanderer said:

He is 24, had his fair share of injury problems, and so far out the picture at Celtic (it was clear it was curtains for him when Postecoglou went out and signed a load of wide players as soon as he was through the door at Celtic), that I think Ireland may use him sparingly at best.

David Turnbull is established in the Celtic team, and even he struggles to make a break through in Clarke's team.

Its probably going to turn in to as major as loss for Scotland as losing Matt Kennedy to Northern Ireland was....

Yes.Does anybody really care if this character decides to play for Ireland?He is 24 and has done f..k all.End of.Nothing more to be said apart from bye bye.😄

5 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Fuck all these plastic paddy’s. good riddance.  The only one remotely decent was ray houghton.

I would have more respect for them  if they declared their “irishness” at 18 years old.

I think thats a bit harsh on him. He clearly wanted to play for scotland but just isnt quite good enough. Hes been given the promise of international football with ireland and hes about to turn 24. He could probably have waited a couple of years but realistically i doubt hes going to turn into a player good enough to get in our squads. 

Good luck to the lad, always hoped he would make the step up and play for scotland but hes just not good enough. Shame as we often lack flair players like him. 

17 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I think thats a bit harsh on him. He clearly wanted to play for scotland but just isnt quite good enough. Hes been given the promise of international football with ireland and hes about to turn 24. He could probably have waited a couple of years but realistically i doubt hes going to turn into a player good enough to get in our squads. 

Good luck to the lad, always hoped he would make the step up and play for scotland but hes just not good enough. Shame as we often lack flair players like him. 

if he isn’t good enough for us he should try harder until he is.  I couldn’t contemplate representing any other country than Scotland.  International football should not be pick and choose - you should declare at 18 and that’s it.

33 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

if he isn’t good enough for us he should try harder until he is.  I couldn’t contemplate representing any other country than Scotland.  International football should not be pick and choose - you should declare at 18 and that’s it.

Neither would I consider choosing anyone other than Scotland. 
My wife however would be eligible for Ireland, Italy, England & Scotland. Some people have complex ancestry that may not be obvious to you. Choosing Ireland seems to be a particular issue for some people in this country and by the way the term plastic paddy is offensive. Not to me particularly, but it has obvious connotations which anyone with half a brain in this country would be keen to avoid. 
You don’t strike me as stupid Malcolm so I’m therefore left to believe you were on a wee fishing mission. Maybe be a wee bit more careful in future as you’re pushing the boundaries a bit with this shite.

3 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Yeh sadly , Irish been sniffing about him for years though I believe. I know we're guilty of it within the English youth set up but think there should be more respect between between 2 nations with much smaller pools of players to choose from.

On bright side we've got Ben Doak, this video proves he is 100% Glaswegian & not frightened to show it taking on half the Porto team after the penalty shoot out in the Youth League last night💪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🤣

We do a bit, as do a lot of other countries, but like you say, it's rare for one country with a small pool of players to "take" from another.

Good on wee Doak though. Hope he gave as good as he got. Shades of Jimmy Johnstone against Atletico Madrid!

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

You sound very patriotic. You must be an die hard indy supporter?

7 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

You sound very patriotic. You must be an die hard indy supporter?

you can be the most patriotic Scot in the world and a unionist - the two are entirely exclusive but I accept related.  Not saying I am either btw.

17 hours ago, Toepoke said:

McGeady circa 2007 would've been one of the first names on the team sheet!

I personally always preferred Maloney to McGeady. And Faddy is one of my favourite players of all time. But both those guys were injury prone. Faddy especially wasn't able to really do much at all into his 30s. 

McGeady at the very least would have been an amazing attacking alternative. That strength in depth might have been the difference in turning the odd loss or draw into a win. Too big of a What If to even contemplate though.

James McCarthy was definitely not missed. At his peak, centre mid was probably our strongest position. Plus, he is pretty overrated anyway.

9 hours ago, slasher said:

Neither would I consider choosing anyone other than Scotland. 
My wife however would be eligible for Ireland, Italy, England & Scotland. Some people have complex ancestry that may not be obvious to you. Choosing Ireland seems to be a particular issue for some people in this country and by the way the term plastic paddy is offensive. Not to me particularly, but it has obvious connotations which anyone with half a brain in this country would be keen to avoid. 
You don’t strike me as stupid Malcolm so I’m therefore left to believe you were on a wee fishing mission. Maybe be a wee bit more careful in future as you’re pushing the boundaries a bit with this shite.

my point is about choice.  I have a nephew who could play for Scotland or Australia.  I don’t think he should be allowed to switch if not good enough for the first choice.  If you have complex ancestry you nominate which you feel most closely aligned to, not get to continue to step down until you find your level.

and as for the use of the term “paddy” I don’t want to get in to a massive debate about it but it is no more offensive than the term “jock”, which personally I have no issue with at all.

36 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

my point is about choice.  I have a nephew who could play for Scotland or Australia.  I don’t think he should be allowed to switch if not good enough for the first choice.  If you have complex ancestry you nominate which you feel most closely aligned to, not get to continue to step down until you find your level.

and as for the use of the term “paddy” I don’t want to get in to a massive debate about it but it is no more offensive than the term “jock”, which personally I have no issue with at all.

Your allegiances and who you feel more closely aligned to can change the older you get

44 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

you can be the most patriotic Scot in the world and a unionist - the two are entirely exclusive but I accept related.  Not saying I am either btw.

Absolute horse shit, its amazing how many of you billy brits believe this