Managers Thread.... - Page 11 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Managers Thread....

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, SamP said:

Hypocrisy is a small word.  But covers a lot.  Especially from some on here who hated him and now want him back.  You couldn't make it up.  Or maybe you could.  Fact lol.

Well I fuckin hate you and never wanted you back. So there..🖕

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

What could he do in Europe that would amount to sucess though. Would he come back just to try and get into last 16 of CL for example. Anything other than winning EL or ECL wouldnt be sucess given Rangers have just got to the EL final.

I think getting to the EL final should be doable, or even, depending on the draw,. getting to the knockout stages of the ECL.

To be honest, I felt Celtic had a decent chance of getting out of their group in the Champions League last season but they were shite and blew the chance. I'm surprised they weren't criticised more harshly for that.

15 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I think getting to the EL final should be doable, or even, depending on the draw,. getting to the knockout stages of the ECL.

To be honest, I felt Celtic had a decent chance of getting out of their group in the Champions League last season but they were shite and blew the chance. I'm surprised they weren't criticised more harshly for that.

That big aussie cnut couldnae lace Brendan's boots !!

Really surprise if Rodgers comes back.  I was blethering with my Celtic pals at weekend and we all agreed there was no chance.  If he does come back I will say one thing about him.  He has some set of balls!  Talk of Scott Brown coming as well.  If I was a Celtic fan I would welcome this.  Scottish football for you!

14 hours ago, scotlad said:

Yes but would getting to final of EL or knockout of CL be success? Relative terms probably but enough to return to a club where you have done everything else and a percentage of fans dislike you?

I just think its a disaster in the waiting for club and manager. 

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

Yes but would getting to final of EL or knockout of CL be success? Relative terms probably but enough to return to a club where you have done everything else and a percentage of fans dislike you?

For sure I would have preferred a more progressive appointment. With the budget available domestic dominance should be assured so Europe is definitely where he will be judged for me.

Even if he can’t break through this imaginary glass ceiling though I don’t get where you are seeing potential disaster for the club or the manager.

4 minutes ago, slasher said:

For sure I would have preferred a more progressive appointment. With the budget available domestic dominance should be assured so Europe is definitely where he will be judged for me.

Even if he can’t break through this imaginary glass ceiling though I don’t get where you are seeing potential disaster for the club or the manager.

I don't think it'll do much for his reputation down south jumping back in to the saftey net of Celtic unless he does something pretty spectacular in Europe.  However with the £Ms he'll likely be picking up from Celtic he may not care too much!

2 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I don't think it'll do much for his reputation down south jumping back in to the saftey net of Celtic unless he does something pretty spectacular in Europe.  However with the £Ms he'll likely be picking up from Celtic he may not care too much!

His chances of a top level EPL job have probably gone forever, so maybe the European stage Celtic will provide is preferable to scrapping it out in the bottom half of the EPL or the Championship.

As I said in an earlier post who knows how his mind works. Let’s be honest though, most Rangers fans will be dreading his return.

6 minutes ago, slasher said:

His chances of a top level EPL job have probably gone forever, so maybe the European stage Celtic will provide is preferable to scrapping it out in the bottom half of the EPL or the Championship.

As I said in an earlier post who knows how his mind works. Let’s be honest though, most Rangers fans will be dreading his return.

I'm somewhere in the middle.  He's obviously a good manager however it can't be overlooked just how poor the Rangers side he was up against was.  While I'd still have Celtic has favourites to win the league I don't he'll have it quite as easy as he did last time round.  And I'm not sure how much input he had in transfers in his first spell but a few shiny nuggets aside (Dembele, Edouard, Ntcham) his signing record was actually pretty poor when you break it down with some absolute dross in there.  That being said I know next to nothing about the players we're signing so some interesting times ahead!

21 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I'm somewhere in the middle.  He's obviously a good manager however it can't be overlooked just how poor the Rangers side he was up against was.  While I'd still have Celtic has favourites to win the league I don't he'll have it quite as easy as he did last time round.  And I'm not sure how much input he had in transfers in his first spell but a few shiny nuggets aside (Dembele, Edouard, Ntcham) his signing record was actually pretty poor when you break it down with some absolute dross in there.  That being said I know next to nothing about the players we're signing so some interesting times ahead!

When he has had proper money to spend he did just fine. There was undoubted interference later on from Lawwell but that shouldn’t be a factor this time, in fact, I’d imagine that formed part of the discussion. 
You are right to be cautious about the signings, I’ve known little of any of ours lately but most of them haven’t done too badly. 👍

4 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Oh, I agree, I think Rodgers going back to Celtic is bizarre and almost certainly a bad move for everyone involved.  It's certainly not the career-enhancing move it was seven years ago.

I was just putting myself in his shoes and thinking of possibly motivations for going back there.  Personally, I think he'd be daft to.  Wait a few months and more interesting opportunities will surely emerge that will bring a lot less hassle and probably pay better too (not that I suspect he's exactly short of cash). 

3 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

In fairness to Rodgers he also helped develop players such as Armstrong, Christie and McGregor, who were stagnating under Ronny Deila.  If one single thing impressed me about his spell at Celtic it was that. 

4 hours ago, slasher said:

For the record I think if Rodgers returns as manager then Celtic win the league next year. I think he is a top manager.

By potential disaster I mean if things go wrong at any stage then having a not insignificant section of the support already against you can lead to unrest. Ie, If Rodgers has a similar start to Ange then the heat would be ramped right up way beyond what a new manager would get. He wont get the leeway that a new manager would. One of the great things about Celtic as a club and in particular with Ange was the unity. I think under Lennon after he got given the gig at Hampden that was dented and as soon as things turned the cracks started. That unity can then become a burden for the players.

There is a litany of cases in football that emphasise "Never go back"

It's not as prolific with managers than it is players but it is still a big risk

55 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

If Fabrizio says it, it is more than likely happening. His sources across the continent are off the scale good.

I see his name pop up a lot and I have yet to see him announce a sign that didn't happen

The fizz is out his Asti……. last wee while at Leicester his team were reeling and so was he.

if he’s anything like his earlier days with Celtic and Liverpool then great to have at the helm, but if he’s had it, and kinda trying to force it, then it’ll end badly. I think it’ll end badly.

I think it kinda hammers home what the Celtic fans were saying about him when he left - that he's just a mercenary chasing the money.  He literally can't improve one what he did with them domestically (unless he goes consecutive seasons unbeaten!) and I think it's unlikely he's going to do anything significant in Europe the way the CL is stacked in favour of the big guns.  Very much looks like he's coming back for the pay day. Or is he coming back to get Brown up to speed for the big job in a couple of years?

15 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I heard Leeds were sniffing about...

This would be a more sensible move. He has the ability to take a struggling club to challenging for Europa/Conference Cup qualification in a few seasons. That would be an achievement, not coming and repeating what he's done at Celtic.