Managers Thread.... - Page 8 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Managers Thread....

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, slasher said:

That’s not as wild a suggestion as you might think.

Rodgers left on good terms with the board if not the fans. He had a couple of big fall outs with Lawwell, not least over the botched pursuit of Castagne and the signing of Shved, but as far as I hear they had smoothed things over before he left. Whether they would want to work together again is another matter and as DS points out Rodgers still has some standing in epl circles. He’d definitely be in the frame I think.

I’m not convinced Ange will go but he’ll definitely want to talk to Spurs and the club will have no choice but to let him. Hopefully Levy’s track record will be enough to put him off. If he goes, he’ll go with everyone’s best wishes as he has conducted himself properly as Ronny Deila did before him.

Whoever is the Celtic manager in the summer will likely have the biggest budget any Celtic manager has ever had so I hope the board have their ducks in a row. If I was guessing, if Ange did go, I’d reckon we’d be going for another CGN recommendation rather than Brendan but you never know.

At 1st glance Spurs is a massive job and you would think that anybody with ambitions of managing in the EPL would jump at it however with Kane likely to leave in the summer and a big rebuild required in terms of the 1st team with likely a small budget, Ange might want to bide his time.

That being said its very rare for a manager to move from Scotland to a top 6 club in England so he might think the risk is worth it rather than wait and move to somewhere like Crystal Palace further down the line.

1 hour ago, Och Aye said:

Is Neil Lennon available?

Word is he’s hiding in the Hampden showers as we speak 😂

33 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

At 1st glance Spurs is a massive job and you would think that anybody with ambitions of managing in the EPL would jump at it however with Kane likely to leave in the summer and a big rebuild required in terms of the 1st team with likely a small budget, Ange might want to bide his time.

That being said its very rare for a manager to move from Scotland to a top 6 club in England so he might think the risk is worth it rather than wait and move to somewhere like Crystal Palace further down the line.

I guess we’ll all find out next week 🤞🏻

59 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Its definitely worth the move - Ange will end up about £10 million richer after he gets sacked 

58 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Not looking good. Spurs fans are cunts, they don't deserve Ange...

Literally all the alleged ‘in the know’ people are saying the same. Ange is off and Brendan will replace him.

49 minutes ago, slasher said:

Literally all the alleged ‘in the know’ people are saying the same. Ange is off and Brendan will replace him.

Realistically, he can’t be blamed. There’s nothing more he can do with Celtic, progress in europe in reality a no no. 

Spurs is a huge job and challenge, which he seems to revel in and if it doesn’t work out, he’ll be sacked with a multi million payout. 

Thoughts on BR going back?

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I can't see Moyes leaving if the hammers win on Wednesday night

I think he'll go either way.  20 defeats in the league this season. Think he's taken it as far he can. Beating Fiorentina is a big ask but if he did  he'd be going out on a high and reputation repaired after Man Utd, Sunderland, Sociedad. Think it could turn sour for him if he stays on.

15 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

I think he'll go either way.  20 defeats in the league this season. Think he's taken it as far he can. Beating Fiorentina is a big ask but if he did  he'd be going out on a high and reputation repaired after Man Utd, Sunderland, Sociedad. Think it could turn sour for him if he stays on.

thats a fair point but swapping and established EPL team for Celtic doesn't have the same appeal it used to IMO. 6 CL games, most of which they won;t lay a glove on their opponents and then wiping the floor with their domestic rivals is boring to anyone not a celtic fan

The only reason I see him going there is as you say he might feel winning a European trophy is a highlight, now he wants to be a legend in the glasgow goldfish bowl

33 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Probably only the cup run that’s kept him in the job, he’s been a couple of games away from a sacking most of the season. Time to move on either way I reckon 

14 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Realistically, he can’t be blamed. There’s nothing more he can do with Celtic, progress in europe in reality a no no. 

Spurs is a huge job and challenge, which he seems to revel in and if it doesn’t work out, he’ll be sacked with a multi million payout. 

Thoughts on BR going back?

I’m not keen. Stand by for lots of toe curling interviews if he gets it. 
I’d prefer someone who would continue the path we’ve been on like Knutsen or Marsh who would work well with the players we have. There’s no doubt BR did a good job for us last time and could do again, he’ll certainly have a big budget to work with. A lot of fans won’t be happy but they would soon get over it after a few wins.

In many ways him or Moyes are the lazy appointments but the board won’t give a fuck about the optics. I’d be surprised if Moyes was in the frame though. He was the preferred candidate before Rodgers until he pissed off Dermot by making too many demands and I doubt that’s been forgotten. Anyway, I’m not convinced he’ll be leaving West Ham just yet. If it is Brendan he’ll have to win a lot of the fans over but I’m sure the smarmy fecker will manage it and as I have said all of the ‘itk’ people are convinced it’s a done deal.

Edited by slasher

6 minutes ago, slasher said:

I’m not keen. Stand by for lots of toe curling interviews if he gets it. 
I’d prefer someone who would continue the path we’ve been on like Knutsen or Marsh who would work well with the players we have. There’s no doubt BR did a good job for us last time and could do again, he’ll certainly have a big budget to work with. A lot of fans won’t be happy but they would soon get over it after a few wins.

In many ways him or Moyes are the lazy appointments but the board won’t give a fuck about the optics. I’d be surprised if Moyes was in the frame though. He was the preferred candidate before Rodgers until he pissed off Dermot by making too many demands and I doubt that’s been forgotten. Anyway, I’m not convinced he’ll be leaving West Ham just yet. If it is Brendan he’ll have to win a lot of the fans over but I’m sure the smarmy fecker will manage it and as I have said all of the ‘itk’ people are convinced it’s a done deal.

I dont think Moyes would be a very good fit. He struggles when setting up an offensive team. His style isnt defensive as such but its certainly not free flowing attacking football.

I think Rodgers would do well again but I cant see the benefit for him. His stock is still high and will get an EPL job. Also, as soon as a couple of games dont go well, the ones with a grudge get vocal.

15 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

I dont think Moyes would be a very good fit. He struggles when setting up an offensive team. His style isnt defensive as such but its certainly not free flowing attacking football.

I think Rodgers would do well again but I cant see the benefit for him. His stock is still high and will get an EPL job. Also, as soon as a couple of games dont go well, the ones with a grudge get vocal.

He’s on record as far back as 2019 saying he would ‘absolutely return to Celtic if the opportunity came.’

Maybe he sees it as unfinished business or something, I dunno. Fuck knows how his mind works.

23 minutes ago, slasher said:

He’s on record as far back as 2019 saying he would ‘absolutely return to Celtic if the opportunity came.’

Maybe he sees it as unfinished business or something, I dunno. Fuck knows how his mind works.

I can honestly remember Moyes playing in defence for the Accies and thought he was a fraud he was that fucking bad.

He hasn't done anything to convince me otherwise

Graham Potter and Billy Reid would be a far better choice than Rodgers or Moyes IMO

10 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I can honestly remember Moyes playing in defence for the Accies and thought he was a fraud he was that fucking bad.

He hasn't done anything to convince me otherwise

Graham Potter and Billy Reid would be a far better choice than Rodgers or Moyes IMO

Rodgers smashed the shit out of this league, I think it was two trebles. He would be far better than Potter

Unless he's been promised ridiculous amounts of money to spend to get through to later stages of the champions league I really can't see why Rodgers would go back to Celtic. To achieve much the same as before? An easy life winning things in a two horse race? Who knows? I was surprised someone of his calibre coming to Scotland in the 1st place, I'd be more surprised if he came back again. I get Ange and Gerrard and even Potter coming they had the potential were untried at big clubs (Chelsea was way too much for Potter).

1 hour ago, slasher said:

Ive always just taken that to be the kind of thing you say to the media to keep / get the supporters onboard.

Im not sure what unfinished business he could have. He dominated up here. Didnt do well in Europe so possibly there but thats a huge ask for any OF manager. If he was older then it would be the ideal retirement gig.

If I was a Celtic fan id be hoping to attract another up and coming foreign manager and use the Rodgers / Ange pathway to the EPL as the selling point.

59 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Rodgers smashed the shit out of this league, I think it was two trebles. He would be far better than Potter

The circumstances of Rodger's initial success was mainly due to Rangers being in a complete mess after being in the lower leagues for 4 years which lasted until Gerrard came in 2018

2016-2017 was their first season back in the Premiership (and when Rodgers joined Celtic)