The Referree / Var thread.. - Page 32 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Referree / Var thread..

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

The hibs straight red wasn't harsh in today's game. Pre 2000 that's not a booking but today it's a red all long

The first red/2nd yellow is barely a foul let alone a yellow. 

Rangers players conduct during both incidents and the conduct of their fans in the stands shows exactly what kind of club they are. I have absolutely no idea why any of the decent rangers fans on here or anywhere can support that club.

It wasn't that long ago rangers were all behind their player because he was racially abused but when it comes to catholics its OK theyre fair game for abuse. The doubles standards from their fans and the clubs will be be ignored by the media too.

The second yellow was merited on 2 counts.  the Hibs player caught the player twice. Once with his leading hand then then  2)he caught him again with the other. The  second was premeditated and he knew where the Rangers player was.

Not only that but the ref had warned the same Hibs player just previously for pushing MacCausland and Rangers staff off the pitch .A booking offence its own. 

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I haven't seen and won't bother watching it. I could hear the commentary from the other room, I usually like Michael Stewart but he must've said it wasn't a penalty 100 times. I'm surprised the Commentator didn't ask him to shut up

"I've no seen it so Michael Stewart must be right"

10 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Fairbairn, I respect you as one of the most balanced posters on this site. However, what would your view of that incident had been if that got given against your own team, or against your son in an amateur game?

That's the metric I use when I judge these things. Frankly, I preferred it in the 70s when I was growing up playing the game. You had to assassinate somebody in the box before a ref would give a penalty in those days.

That award today was pathetic, but it is indicative of how refereeing standards have been straitjacketed by inflexible rules and procedures that leave no room for interpretation.

See last week's series of nonsense decisions at Tynecastle for further evidence.

I'd have thought it was penalty against us as it was a foul. I'm genuinely baffled by this as I can't see how anyone can see it as anything other than a foul.  I'll be the first to hold my hands up when I think we've got away with one but this isn't one of those instances, not even close.  For the record, I think the second yellow was probably a bit on the harsh side (although I think as Ed says, if the boy hadn't just been warned by the ref for his conduct it may not have happened) but the red was also nailed on.  A few people seem to think that because he didn't make full contact it's not a red but that doesn't stop it being reckless and dangerous.

I've absolutely nae time for Rangers and wanted Hibs to beat them yesterday but I'm genuinely bamboozled at how anyone, in the cold light of day and with the benefit of camera replays, can say that wasn't a penalty...for me, its as clean cut as you'll see.

The 2nd yellow was harsh but the straight red was just utter stupidity from the Hibs player 

I still can't work out how anyone thinks that the 2nd yellow was harsh, normally I find Mikey Stewart is about right but last night he must have had Hibs on his coupon or something as I thought he was completely wrong on both issues. 
Add into that I'd have sent Boyle off too... 

3 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

I've absolutely nae time for Rangers and wanted Hibs to beat them yesterday but I'm genuinely bamboozled at how anyone, in the cold light of day and with the benefit of camera replays, can say that wasn't a penalty...for me, its as clean cut as you'll see.

The 2nd yellow was harsh but the straight red was just utter stupidity from the Hibs player 

Absolutely this, the outlandish comments from the Hibs manager after in the interview after the game doesn't help. But I've long since accepted that football fans especially in Scotland couldn't agree on the colour of shite when it comes to refereeing decisions.

The penalty is a clear trip. Anywhere else on the pitch the ref gives a foul and no one bats an eyelid. If anything it's smart for the player to go down instead of trying to stay up despite being unfairly impeded.

2nd yellow - I think we've seen in plenty games for years now that contact with the hand or arm to the face seems to be an automatic yellow. Probably even worse given it was off the ball.

Straight red - It's basically the dictionary definition of excessive force/endangering safety that breaks the threshold for a red card these days. The only redeeming factor is that contact is limited, thankfully.

13 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I'd have thought it was penalty against us as it was a foul. I'm genuinely baffled by this as I can't see how anyone can see it as anything other than a foul.  I'll be the first to hold my hands up when I think we've got away with one but this isn't one of those instances, not even close.  For the record, I think the second yellow was probably a bit on the harsh side (although I think as Ed says, if the boy hadn't just been warned by the ref for his conduct it may not have happened) but the red was also nailed on.  A few people seem to think that because he didn't make full contact it's not a red but that doesn't stop it being reckless and dangerous.

You must look like Zorba the Greek every time your team plays!

Greek Dance Zeimpekiko GIF - Greek Dance Zeimpekiko Opa ...

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Sutton, Snodgrass, and shockingly Boyd all agree it was a penalty 100 percent !! Sevco get one every week, but wee are denied a stonewaller. It's a disgrace......

Boyd said it wasn't a penalty 

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

A massive thing that's been consistently missed by the VAR teams, both in Scotland and elsewhere, is that they are only meant to intervene when there has been a CLEAR and OBVIOUS ERROR by the officials on the pitch. 

This is yet another example of VAR getting involved when there hasn't been a clear and obvious error during the match. 

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I said before VAR came in that we shouldn’t be throwing any more money at the refereeing fraternity until there was root and branch reform of the whole thing. The clubs should withdraw funding until that happens. We’d be cheaper paying foreign refs than supporting this lot any further!