"UK and Ireland" Euro 2028 bid - Hampden Park - Page 12 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

"UK and Ireland" Euro 2028 bid - Hampden Park

Bzzzz

11 hours ago, Orraloon said:

It didn't need an upgrade for EURO20 so what makes you think it will get one for 2028?

Depends what you mean by upgrade. Screens and lights were upgraded and automatic turnstiles were brought in for Euro 2020. Not exactly fantastic I’ll grant you but I bet the SFA would argue it was an upgrade. 

I wonder what they’ll do for Euro 2028? Fix the bent trough in the bogs in the West Stand maybe? 😂

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Depends what you mean by upgrade. Screens and lights were upgraded and automatic turnstiles were brought in for Euro 2020. Not exactly fantastic I’ll grant you but I bet the SFA would argue it was an upgrade. 

I wonder what they’ll do for Euro 2028? Fix the bent trough in the bogs in the West Stand maybe? 😂

🤣

They might repaint the lines in the car park? Or, we might get an even louder PA system. What about these fantastic light shows that they put on before very game now? 😉 🤣

I see the SFA have also said that they would like us to qualify in the usual manner, the same as England said yesterday. The difference being that England will 100% qualify whereas at best our qualification is dependent on a variety of facfors.

I can see the SFA doing something noble but stupid and giving the 2 auto qualification slots to the 2 lowest ranked teams.

The 2 places should go to the best 2 unqualified nations.

At worst it should be a play off between the unqualified nations....

7 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

And so it starts 🤢 

Screenshot_20231011_071034_Chrome.jpg

It does beg the question who was driving this to begin with. I struggle to imagine England not saying ‘why do we need the other 4 nations when we are more than capable of delivering the tournament ourselves’

I see nothing wrong with Scottish football getting some much needed finances. I started another thread recently  stating that I’d much rather have the SFA invest money into a National Football Centre first and foremost. If that could be achieved by the money made from this tournament then that would be ideal.

31 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

I see nothing wrong with Scottish football getting some much needed finances. I started another thread recently  stating that I’d much rather have the SFA invest money into a National Football Centre first and foremost. If that could be achieved by the money made from this tournament then that would be ideal.

How much do you think we will get from this? Scotland is contributing 1 stadium. Its fantsay IMO to expect enough money to create anything more than a couple of better Kiosks at hampden

4 hours ago, Orraloon said:

🤣

They might repaint the lines in the car park? Or, we might get an even louder PA system. What about these fantastic light shows that they put on before very game now? 😉 🤣

They’ll upgrade the corporate entrances & lounges and nae much more 🤔

1 hour ago, JECK said:

It does beg the question who was driving this to begin with. I struggle to imagine England not saying ‘why do we need the other 4 nations when we are more than capable of delivering the tournament ourselves’

Because of their embarrassing knuckle trailing fans behaviour England knew they needed an angle to their bid & we’ve bent over backwards to help them, we shouldn’t have anything to do with them. A few token games for the serfs & England get most of the glamour games & probably play all their games at Wembley 🤬🤬🤬

24 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

How much do you think we will get from this? Scotland is contributing 1 stadium. Its fantsay IMO to expect enough money to create anything more than a couple of better Kiosks at hampden

I’ve no idea, I wonder if the SFA will give some sort of projection as to how much they think they’ll make. 
Do the SFA produce annual accounts? It would be interesting to see how they’ve been doing over the last couple of years.

A home tournament for England. Every game for them at Wembley. That’s the deal. 
Our fa don’t support our team . Never have. 
gonna be a change with Ireland and the province of Ulster rejoining before 28 . Though I think they’ll keep the two teams regardless. 

3 hours ago, JECK said:

I think the English were worried they wouldn’t get it on their own after the trouble at Wembley at the Euro 2020 final so they roped the rest of us in. 

4 hours ago, RDFH64 said:

Because of their embarrassing knuckle trailing fans behaviour England knew they needed an angle to their bid & we’ve bent over backwards to help them, we shouldn’t have anything to do with them. A few token games for the serfs & England get most of the glamour games & probably play all their games at Wembley 🤬🤬🤬

There should be a minimum of 3 host nations qualified regardless of how they do it. Under such circumstances it surely can not be allowed or even faciliated for England to play all home games at Wembly unless Scotland played all at Hampden and Wales at Millenium etc. Logistically that couldnt work. Id actually rather go watch Scotland play elsewhere anyway.

It was inevitable that the UK & Ireland (well England only more like) were going to be reqwarded as the hosts. There was no other candidate out there to challenge the bid.

Have the Welsh & Irish FA's said anything about what route of qulification they want to take?

England - I can understand why they would prefer the qualification route as they know fine well that they will qualify through that method regardless so don't really need the automatic quakification spot

Scotland - Hard to telll, will depend on a lot of factors beibg in our favour which is why I am surprised Maxwell has already came out and said he wants to do similar to England and go through the qualification route.

England will be there for sure. Hopefully we will as well. Ireland have got some promising yougsters coming through so will fancy their chances then too. Not sure about Northern Ireland which I'm sure they want the automatic qualification spot. Wales will be begging that they have unearthed a Gareth Bale type player by then but if not, will no doubt want that automatic qualification spot.

Of course a lot can change between now and then so interesting to see how this all plays out. Can't see it being a friendly exchange between the FA's & UEFA on who gets what and how it will be determined.

• 4 weeks later...

The use of Casement Park appears to be running into sectarian problems.

(Like almost everything else in Northern Ireland I suppose)...

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/majority-in-ni-support-euro-2028-games-at-casement-but-unionists-remain-opposed/a534700187.html

I've seen it mentioned that Murrayfield could be used as an alternative venue if the IFA can't sort it out.

11 hours ago, mannyrat said:

Are we in favour of this?

Assuming we don't have to qualify, in which case I'm defo in favour.

Will it result in the East and West stands at Hampden being rebuilt 3ft from the back of the goal nets?

No?

Then it can GTF.

As for qualification...

UK and Ireland = 5 teams

They're not going to auto-qualify 5 teams.

On 11/11/2023 at 10:53 AM, Rich NATA said:

Will it result in the East and West stands at Hampden being rebuilt 3ft from the back of the goal nets?

No?

Then it can GTF.

As for qualification...

UK and Ireland = 5 teams

They're not going to auto-qualify 5 teams.

so just a play off v each other then?

20 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

I've no idea what they're considering.

It's already been publicly mooted (if not as far as I know actually confirmed) that the route will be everyone goes through qualification and then there are two slots held for those that don't qualify through the normal route.

I'm sure someone will know how many times in the last x tournaments 3 or more of the nations involved qualified?

In terms of normal qualification, the reason England (and to a lesser extent Scotland) want to go through qualification is more likely commercial. The 4 or 5 competitive home games missed are worth an absolute fortune in gate money and TV rights, and who would you play in friendlies to replace those if not playing competitive games? I think economically it would be a massive loss of income for any team not involved in the qualification process. For England this is probably more pronounced as they would budget for qualification anyway so the 'gain' for the other nations of playing in the main tournament is probably not seen as such for them.