"UK and Ireland" Euro 2028 bid - Hampden Park - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

"UK and Ireland" Euro 2028 bid - Hampden Park

Bzzzz

I'm a south sider - walked it many, many times, when I was younger I could do it in 25 minutes, now in my late fifties, I reckon 35 minutes, out Hampden go down either Aitkenhead or Cathcart road, walk through Govanhill, Then The Gorbals............Bingo first beer in Merchant City !!!

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Years since I last done it, but we could do Hampden to Clutha Bar for a pint in about 40 minutes, then make our way up to the Horse Shoe for a pint there before train home, so I do not think Hampden to City Centre in 40-45 minutes is all that much of an effort.

I want to know where the celtic bid was? England should not be anywhere near hosting anything after their hooligans disgraced them at the Euro Final at Wembley, if anything they should be banned!!! 
I'm still completely against this proposal, I think it's ridiculous and second rate, we will get nothing whatsoever out of it. 

• 3 weeks later...

It seems like UEFA have come up with a (to my mind) reasonable compromise. None of the Home Nations will get an automatic spot and instead two spots will be reserved for Home Nations teams who fail to qualify. If more than two fail to qualify then the best two will get the retained spots. Not clear what happens if all 5 qualify but tbh that seems low odds.

On 8/2/2023 at 12:12 PM, vanderark14 said:

No fucking way would I accept that. IF England are handed one automatic spot, the SFA should pull out immediately. I am already annoyed that the SFA attached themselves to this nonsense but giving england the host spot would be a step too far. 

Well said that Man!

Plus, England have held the Euro's, the World Cup and the Olympics.

Wales, Scotland and NI should have got to hold the Majority of the games. I know we are just Junior Partners or Colonies in all but name of the Great..........British Union. But fair's fair, this was the ideal chance to EXCLUDE England from holding the vast Majority of another Major Sporting Event!

1 hour ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

It seems like UEFA have come up with a (to my mind) reasonable compromise. None of the Home Nations will get an automatic spot and instead two spots will be reserved for Home Nations teams who fail to qualify. If more than two fail to qualify then the best two will get the retained spots. Not clear what happens if all 5 qualify but tbh that seems low odds.

Seems more than fair!

All 5 could Qualify. A MAX of realistically 2 could fail to qualify (After Scotland SCUD there Group in Double quick time........)

1 hour ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

I had to look this up after reading your post, I think it's a great idea and maybe should be adopted for all future tournaments even ones that are not staged in multiple countries.  I would rather we play in competitive matches during a campaign. It could even grow the sport because other countries would want to get involved hosting with neighboring countries and expose the world to different cultures.  Andorra & Spain hosting or Germany & Czech Republic.  In both scenario's there's at least one nation who is capable of hosting on their own but they might enjoy some cost reduction. 

21 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

Seems the fairest way, and also allows for not wasting 2 years playing meaningless friendlies.

Even if England got a terrible group, they would qualify with relative ease also, hopefully we still have some momentum going that we are a top two seeded country, so would not be out of realms of possibility that at least one from us Wales, NI and Republic of Ireland would also qualify under our own steam, so good chance it could be just a way to make sure NI qualify. 

On 9/19/2023 at 3:51 PM, wanderer said:

Seems the fairest way, and also allows for not wasting 2 years playing meaningless friendlies.

Even if England got a terrible group, they would qualify with relative ease also, hopefully we still have some momentum going that we are a top two seeded country, so would not be out of realms of possibility that at least one from us Wales, NI and Republic of Ireland would also qualify under our own steam, so good chance it could be just a way to make sure NI qualify. 

I reckon they'll do a home countries plus Ireland style group for qualification. 

3 minutes ago, Bzzzz said:

I reckon they'll do a home countries plus Ireland style group for qualification. 

I do not think they can do that as it would mess up the seedings.

Even if its a total blank slate and work on basis that the two highest teams who failed to qualify (either via Nations League or Qualification) you are probably still talking a 2 way fight between Northern Ireland, Wales and one from us and Rep of Ireland, as you would imagine England would breeze through, and if we can keep momentum going, we would not be far behind.

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

Even if its a total blank slate and work on basis that the two highest teams who failed to qualify (either via Nations League or Qualification) you are probably still talking a 2 way fight between Northern Ireland, Wales and one from us and Rep of Ireland, as you would imagine England would breeze through, and if we can keep momentum going, we would not be far behind.

If it was up to me England would have been banned from competing as well as hosting. 
The fact that they are even being considered after their fan's behaviour at the final, is a disgrace. 

3 hours ago, wanderer said:

Probably need to let the Irelands play each other for the sake of the  bid name 

No matter how it’s dressed up still think this a stupid idea. Some countries just do not have the stadia/infrastructure in place. NI being the prime example. End of. England could easily host themselves without the need for wee scraps of the table stuff. Embarrassing really.

20 hours ago, JECK said:

No matter how it’s dressed up still think this a stupid idea. Some countries just do not have the stadia/infrastructure in place. NI being the prime example. End of. England could easily host themselves without the need for wee scraps of the table stuff. Embarrassing really.

I agree, given it's the SFA's 150th they should have been looking to do something unique, to attract serious finance into the country etc not pander to and hang on to England's coat tails. I've no interest in this whatsoever and think we should pull out. 

21 hours ago, JECK said:

After the English fans appalling behaviour last time we shouldn’t have anything to do with them with a joint bid, would any trouble caused by them during the joint finals reflect badly on the other countries involved in hosting the finals 🤯

On 9/27/2023 at 1:37 PM, JECK said:

But Scots would pay our for share of England hosting it on their own, just like we had to do for the Olympics, Euro's and World Cup. Westminster will simply say it is a benefit to all of the UK and we need to pay our fair share. Or, it will be put onto the UK's National Debt and the result is the same. We will need to pay our un-fair share.

On 9/27/2023 at 1:37 PM, JECK said:

Northern Irelands biggest football stadium has a capacity of, what 18,000?  Hardly tournament football capacity.  It really is a farce. Just let England host the whole thing already!

4 hours ago, Craig Fae Hamilton said:

But Scots would pay our for share of England hosting it on their own, just like we had to do for the Olympics, Euro's and World Cup. Westminster will simply say it is a benefit to all of the UK and we need to pay our fair share. Or, it will be put onto the UK's National Debt and the result is the same. We will need to pay our un-fair share.

Good point however pretty much a separate issue altogether. The gutless and brainwashed baby boomers wouldn’t have it any other way. 

I have never been a fan of joint hosts for major tournaments. It should always be like next summer's Euros - in one country. If a country do not have the facilities - too bad you miss out. The Euros should rotate between Germany, France, Spain, Italy and England for the Euros. If any other country puts in a solo bid over joint hosts it should win out. Same goes for the World Cup with those European nations mentioned above being on the rotating hosts list along with USA, Argentina, Brazil, South Africa, Japan and Mexico. Again if another country outs in a solo bid then let them have it over a joint bid.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

22 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I have never been a fan of joint hosts for major tournaments. It should always be like next summer's Euros - in one country. If a country do not have the facilities - too bad you miss out. The Euros should rotate between Germany, France, Spain, Italy and England for the Euros. If any other country puts in a solo bid over joint hosts it should win out. Same goes for the World Cup with those European nations mentioned above being on the rotating hosts list along with USA, Argentina, Brazil, South Africa, Japan and Mexico. Again if another country outs in a solo bid then let them have it over a joint bid.

That might get a wee bit dull eventually, I’m happy enough with two nearby countries hosting together.  Five, with four of them only contributing one stadium each and the other with six or eight or whatever it is, that’s ludicrous and smacks of tokenism. 

2 minutes ago, adamntg said:

That might get a wee bit dull eventually, I’m happy enough with two nearby countries hosting together.  Five, with four of them only contributing one stadium each and the other with six or eight or whatever it is, that’s ludicrous and smacks of tokenism. 

Not that dull as it is kind of happening from time to time now anyway. And when did Spain last host a major tournament? For me the tournament holds far more meaning when it is held in traditional footballing nations with a rich history coupled with iconic stadiums. 

On 9/30/2023 at 10:11 AM, Caledonian Craig said:

Your forgetting the brown envelope factor 😵‍💫

23 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Not that dull as it is kind of happening from time to time now anyway. And when did Spain last host a major tournament? For me the tournament holds far more meaning when it is held in traditional footballing nations with a rich history coupled with iconic stadiums. 

Agree 100% I'd LOVE to go to another World Cup but the next one being spread over the Canada, Mexico and the US, it's just fkin stupid. How the hell are "normal" fitba fans supposed to afford that!?