"UK and Ireland" Euro 2028 bid - Hampden Park - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

"UK and Ireland" Euro 2028 bid - Hampden Park

Bzzzz

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Bzzzz said:

Interesting... 

£77.5m to build a 34,500 seater stadium... how much would a full refurb of Hampden cost? 

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/abandoned-stadium-covered-in-weeds-set-to-host-euro-2028-matches-408248?fbclid=IwAR2J47iG0mjoTkmqWgf7wLkvgs8kM8KwDa9L-ZnYgfaRGRaLErBC4UGS7l8

Using Stuttgart as the like-for-like example, its thought upwards of £90m..... its costing Liverpool over £120m just to add 7,000 extra seats to Anfield.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/16842777.stuttgart-style-hampden-refurb-cost-90m-warns-architect-behind-project/

Edited by wanderer

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

Using Stuttgart as the like-for-like example, its thought upwards of £90m..... its costing Liverpool over £120m just to add 7,000 extra seats to Anfield.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/16842777.stuttgart-style-hampden-refurb-cost-90m-warns-architect-behind-project/

That article is 5 years old too. Given the inflation of construction costs since then you could double that figure at least.

30 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

That article is 5 years old too. Given the inflation of construction costs since then you could double that figure at least.

True, probably talking close to £150m for Hampden, as Anfields redevelopment was initially £60m and then shot up to £80m, and has sky rocketed up to £120m (also I believe the construction company who are handling the project recently went in to receivership.... as it was the same company that built AFC Wimbledons new ground).

This is why I am skeptical on the Irish reports of the new Belfast stadium, when it probably would have been cheaper and easier to do up Windsor Park to bring it closer to 30k..... I honestly think either Belfast will get binned down the road, or a sh*t load of Government money will suddenly be found to save face.

Edited by wanderer

On 10/6/2023 at 1:49 PM, wanderer said:

True, probably talking close to £150m for Hampden, as Anfields redevelopment was initially £60m and then shot up to £80m, and has sky rocketed up to £120m (also I believe the construction company who are handling the project recently went in to receivership.... as it was the same company that built AFC Wimbledons new ground).

This is why I am skeptical on the Irish reports of the new Belfast stadium, when it probably would have been cheaper and easier to do up Windsor Park to bring it closer to 30k..... I honestly think either Belfast will get binned down the road, or a sh*t load of Government money will suddenly be found to save face.

They'll just do a deal with the govt in England again... 

9 hours ago, Bzzzz said:

They'll just do a deal with the govt in England again... 

That's a fair point. If ever there was an open goal for the Westminster government to show how much they value Scotland, Hampden is it. I'm not holding my breath though.

3 hours ago, Toepoke said:

That's a fair point. If ever there was an open goal for the Westminster government to show how much they value Scotland, Hampden is it. I'm not holding my breath though.

They won't even discuss tv coverage of our games, they're sure as fk no going to help us fund a refurb of our national stadium! 

4 minutes ago, GroundsKeeper said:

Would rather have had a fortnight in Turkey tbh.

Will be interesting to see if Hampden gets some investment.

The moat behind the goals needs taken away, but we will be lucky of it gets a lick of paint.🤣

Couldn't agree more, tbh I'd rather have 2 weeks anywhere rather than this. There's little attractive about the possibility of having games in any of these nations and particularly not down south. 

On 10/9/2023 at 8:03 AM, Toepoke said:

Any love bombing from Westminster never really materialised, in spite of what was said beforehand.

I might be on my own so the tin hat is on but I honestly think I will struggle to get motivated for this nonsense. Shame on the SFA for doing this

I am more surprised that the Irish went for it. I thought they would fuck this right off

53 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I might be on my own so the tin hat is on but I honestly think I will struggle to get motivated for this nonsense. Shame on the SFA for doing this

I am more surprised that the Irish went for it. I thought they would fuck this right off

A Celtic nations one might have been interesting (although possibly challenging in terms of venues) but not this.

It's just an English bid in disguise.

I see the FA are saying that they want to qualify through the normal route, as it will give them better preparation for the finals. Imagine if they failed to qualify. 🤣 That is the only scenario, that I can see, which would turn this into a good idea. 🤣

53 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I seem to be in a minority but I'm pleased to see the games coming to the UK and Ireland. I might actually be able to visit one. And Hampden does need an upgrade. We can't blame England getting the lion's share - they've got the best stadia.

It didn't need an upgrade for EURO20 so what makes you think it will get one for 2028?

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

I seem to be in a minority but I'm pleased to see the games coming to the UK and Ireland. I might actually be able to visit one. And Hampden does need an upgrade. We can't blame England getting the lion's share - they've got the best stadia.

You are the first person I have encountered who thinks this is a good idea. Every other Scotland fan I know or have encountered wants nothing to do with this. The SFA have scored another own goal here

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

You are the first person I have encountered who thinks this is a good idea. Every other Scotland fan I know or have encountered wants nothing to do with this. The SFA have scored another own goal here

I'm not wildly ecstatic about this, mainly because Euro2020 was such a let down (although Covid didn't help there). But I certainly wouldn't say I want nothing to do with it, or criticise the SFA for accepting to be part of it.

8 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I'm not wildly ecstatic about this, mainly because Euro2020 was such a let down (although Covid didn't help there). But I certainly wouldn't say I want nothing to do with it, or criticise the SFA for accepting to be part of it.

I also am not totally against it. The UK is small, the Manchester, Newcastle and of course Glasgow based games all within relatively easy reach in a day. I’m hoping to get some tickets and attend my first ever Euro finals games.

Personally id have prefered a Celtic bid. 10 stadiums are required.

Wales x 2 (Cardiff and Swansea)

Northern Ireland x 1

ROI x 3. (Dublin and 2 x GAA anywhere else in the country

Scotland x 4 (Hampden, Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen)

It could have been done but would have required much more investment as there would have been a good few upgrades and new builds.

I like the idea of shared tournaments but only for countries who arent big enough to have 10 stadiums on their own. One of the main things I dont like about this is that England could have easily hosted alone.

Another thing that I dont like about this is that Scotland will 100% the the worst deal. Wales are already being vocal about hosting the opening game. That is likely as the national stadium is 70k and Wales havent hosted any Euros games before. Northern Ireland are getting a new stadium. No doubt Ireland will want some of the big games so will get at least 1 semi final and of course Wembly will get the final.

Hampden will get zero done to it.

14 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

I like the idea of shared tournaments but only for countries who arent big enough to have 10 stadiums on their own. One of the main things I dont like about this is that England could have easily hosted alone.

Seems to be the way of it now:-

2026: USA with Canada & Mexico bolted on

2028: England with Scotland, Wales & Irelands bolted on.

2030: Spain with Portugal, Morocco, Uruguay, Paraguay & Argentina bolted on.

Just read that Wembly will likely get both semis and the final. Utter joke of a bid. The other associations need to get a spine. Wembly has literally just had both semis and a final of the Euros.

Hampden should get a semi and Wales the final. Only reason either Ireland shouldnt get the opener or a semi etc is the stadiums arent big enough.

1 minute ago, Diamond Scot said:

Just read that Wembly will likely get both semis and the final. Utter joke of a bid. The other associations need to get a spine. Wembly has literally just had both semis and a final of the Euros.

Hampden should get a semi and Wales the final. Only reason either Ireland shouldnt get the opener or a semi etc is the stadiums arent big enough.

👍