Indyref 2 (2) - Page 114 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Indyref 2 (2)

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

🙂The people shouting on there are already entrenched in their own side and I cannot see any neutrals being impressed.  

The only way I can see Westminster granting a vote is for the Scottish Government to ask for it in the future, say 2030 (I know, I know stuck with these feckers for another 7 years). The UK Government would probably agree to this as it won't be the current incumbents problem and they would appear to be democratic. The younger generation in general are more pro independence so the more years that go by the stronger support will be. 

Edited by Och Aye

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, aaid said:

That kind of sums up the attitude of zoomers like McEleney and that other tube.

They seem to have this view that Alba deserve a lot more coverage than they get.  If anything the National and other media outlets give them way more coverage than their support or electoral success warrants.   It is sheer entitlement.

They are a fringe party on a par with All For Unity and the Scottish Family Party.

They might be a fringe party but they are pro independence. Should a pro independence paper not be giving them decent coverage? Its not like there are a huge number of independence parties fighting for coverage. 

2 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

They might be a fringe party but they are pro independence. Should a pro independence paper not be giving them decent coverage? It’s not like there are a huge number of independence parties fighting for coverage. 

I’ve heard the National described on here recently as a “comic” rather than a newspaper, seems like here they’re behaving like a paper.

Would you say that a party that polls between 1-2% should be entitled to demand coverage in a paper and why given that level of support - and that on top of not being popular, they are in fact extremely unpopular - would a paper give them a platform as it’s not likely to increase their readership and isn’t giving the vast majority what they’re interested in.

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Its not that easy to have face to face chats with people, particularly those with no real interest in politics

I met somebody a while ago who told me they didn't vote in our Referendum because they weren't interested in politics.

Strange as it sounds, I responded; "It wasn't about politics; it was about Independence".

A General Election is political. An Independence Referendum? That is something 'other' to me.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

I’ve heard the National described on here recently as a “comic” rather than a newspaper, seems like here they’re behaving like a paper.

Would you say that a party that polls between 1-2% should be entitled to demand coverage in a paper and why given that level of support - and that on top of not being popular, they are in fact extremely unpopular - would a paper give them a platform as it’s not likely to increase their readership and isn’t giving the vast majority what they’re interested in.

Part of the reason the National is described as a comic is because its seen as an SNP propaganda machine. It is doing nothing to that quash that view by refusing to feature a former FM who got us to the brink of independence.  A paper that is supposed to be for independence should  give a voice to all parties, regardless of their popularity . 

1 hour ago, Rich NATA said:

I met somebody a while ago who told me they didn't vote in our Referendum because they weren't interested in politics.

Strange as it sounds, I responded; "It wasn't about politics; it was about Independence".

A General Election is political. An Independence Referendum? That is something 'other' to me.

Being able to highlight that difference is hugely important IMO. People switch off when they hear the word politics. 

8 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Part of the reason the National is described as a comic is because its seen as an SNP propaganda machine. It is doing nothing to that quash that view by refusing to feature a former FM who got us to the brink of independence.  A paper that is supposed to be for independence should  give a voice to all parties, regardless of their popularity . 

You think a newspaper should have its editorial content dictated to it by politicians?

16 minutes ago, aaid said:

You think a newspaper should have its editorial content dictated to it by politicians?

No. I think a neutral editor in a pro independence paper would give a platform to all pro independence parties . 

https://scotgoespop.blogspot.com/2023/03/exclusive-scot-goes-pop-find-out-now.html

For the seventh Scot Goes Pop opinion poll of voters in Scotland, I commissioned a different polling company from the two I've commissioned before.  Find Out Now are relative newcomers to political polling, but they're full members of the British Polling Council, and I believe this is already the fourth Scottish independence poll they've conducted.  And given the challenging circumstances we currently find ourselves in, I would suggest the results are just a little bit sensational.

Should Scotland be an independent country?  (Scot Goes Pop / Find Out Now, 1st - 9th March 2023)

Yes 52%
No 48%

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

https://scotgoespop.blogspot.com/2023/03/exclusive-scot-goes-pop-find-out-now.html

For the seventh Scot Goes Pop opinion poll of voters in Scotland, I commissioned a different polling company from the two I've commissioned before.  Find Out Now are relative newcomers to political polling, but they're full members of the British Polling Council, and I believe this is already the fourth Scottish independence poll they've conducted.  And given the challenging circumstances we currently find ourselves in, I would suggest the results are just a little bit sensational.

Should Scotland be an independent country?  (Scot Goes Pop / Find Out Now, 1st - 9th March 2023)

Yes 52%
No 48%

Panic over, let’s go down the pub.  

Just now, Hertsscot said:

Out of interest, does anyone know if there are any statistics or rough estimates about how many people now living in Scotland who couldn't vote in the last Indy either because they weren't living here or because they weren't old enough?

Not 100%but you can do a back of a fag packet approximation but the birth rate in Scotland has been pretty consistent slightly less than 50k each year.   Some people will have left but others will have arrived.  

So I’d say that it’s a safe assumption to say that in the 8 years since the referendum, there are 400k people who would’ve not been able to to vote.

Similarly the death rate is around 57k rising to 62k in 2020, so the number of deaths over a similar period would be in the region of 480k.

Since the population has been relatively flat, the gap between births and deaths is bridged by net migration, which would be around 80k.  

9 hours ago, aaid said:

Not 100%but you can do a back of a fag packet approximation but the birth rate in Scotland has been pretty consistent slightly less than 50k each year.   Some people will have left but others will have arrived.  

So I’d say that it’s a safe assumption to say that in the 8 years since the referendum, there are 400k people who would’ve not been able to to vote.

Similarly the death rate is around 57k rising to 62k in 2020, so the number of deaths over a similar period would be in the region of 480k.

Since the population has been relatively flat, the gap between births and deaths is bridged by net migration, which would be around 80k.  

Thanks for that. You hear so much rubbish from Unionist politicians about the once in a generation nonsense. Yet with each succeeding month there's more and more people in Scotland who never had a vote in 2014.

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

20230404_220840.jpg

that’s a catastrophe for the SNP.   But worryingly an increase for the greens.  I think a lot of youngsters are voting green because of climate change, but hopefully without the snp in the picture the fade off to irrelevance.

inndependence has been sacrificed for far left “progressive” ideology.

10 hours ago, Shaundy said:

That’s over 60% for solid Unionist parties 

That there is classic unionist thinking and propaganda.

I heard all that crap at the last election from unionist MPs at Westminster. Their total pie in the sky biased beliefs were that not everyone voting SNP supported independence but happily claimed all votes for Labour, Tories and Lib Dems were from supporters of the union.

This mindset is what will never see independence come about as figures will always be twisted by unionists and supported by the media without question. Of course the other reason independence won't happen is too many people not grasping the concept of independence and too many factions pulling in different directions putting personal alliances above the big goal.

May as well close this thread down. Couldn't get independence support near 60% in the polls after the recent Westminster shit show and now this. Won't see independence in our lifetime I'm afraid. The cunts have been handed enough ammunition to last them a 'generation'.

1 minute ago, Och Aye said:

May as well close this thread down. Couldn't get independence support near 60% in the polls after the recent Westminster shit show and now this. Won't see independence in our lifetime I'm afraid. The cunts have been handed enough ammunition to last them a 'generation'.

And most depressingly handed to them by Scots.

I also think salmond is due a massive apology from many within the snp, what he has done is set up a safety net in alba incase something catastrophic happens to the snp,,he was absolutely and totally set up by so called independence driven folk and yet he is still driving the case for independence in spite of all that’s happened