Indyref 2 (2) - Page 116 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Indyref 2 (2)

On 4/6/2023 at 9:59 AM, Caledonian Craig said:

I do not see the independence movement being anywhere near united enough to put forward a strong united case for independence though due to selfish people with their own agendas (in ALL pro-independence parties) 

I think I'm correct in thinking that there's an indy march on 6 May in Glasgow and an anti monarchy march/demo in Edinburgh on the same day. For those of us who won't be glued to the TV watching Charlie's coronation it at least gives us a couple of options for what else to do but can't help thinking a little more communication and fewer egos would be helpful.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Churchill allegedly offered Northern Ireland to de Valera, on the proviso that the Irish joined the Allies in WW2.

I didn't know that. I can imagine Churchill doing something like that though.

4 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Salmond is way too toxic

This however is brutal and i doubt Aaid can even disagree

https://wingsoverscotland.com/the-partys-over/

Correct, the murrells did a number on salmond and is damaged however I would have him back in a second to oversee the internals of the party and work on strategy but I dare say the alba party will now be look at 10-15 seats at the next holyrood elections so he will stay and build that party 

Hard to work out what that piece of performative theatre in Uddinston was all about. Looked way over the top and more like an investigation into a mass murder.  Who was behind it?  MI5?  is this whole business an attempt to destroy the SNP?  Do they think that indy supporters will abandon indy en masse and go back to voting unionists?  Are they really that tone deaf?

It looks very much as if the leadership election was not only rigged to shoehorn Yousaf into place, but to shorten the process to get it completed before this latest controversy erupted.  As an SNP member, I can't easily accept the blatant manipulation of the electoral process as still being acceptable given what is now coming out. Yousaf is not up to the job, has already reneged on his promise to attend the AUOB thing on 6th May, is pressing ahead with the stupidity of challenging the GRR decision (and AFAIK is not going to make it a general point of principle that could cover other matters such as constitutional issues but just a challenge to the blocking of the GRR itself).  Already he is like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

It will be interesting to see if any charges are pressed.  Has Murrell used indy funds to buy himself a motorhome and the loan was an attempt to get out of a tricky situation?  Surely he wouldn't be that stupid?  I'm guessing that this whole thing is some sort of attack by the British state but it's like a very poorly written soap opera.  Let's see who gets thrown under a bus...

2 hours ago, Alibi said:

Hard to work out what that piece of performative theatre in Uddinston was all about. Looked way over the top and more like an investigation into a mass murder.  Who was behind it?  MI5?  is this whole business an attempt to destroy the SNP?  Do they think that indy supporters will abandon indy en masse and go back to voting unionists?  Are they really that tone deaf?

It looks very much as if the leadership election was not only rigged to shoehorn Yousaf into place, but to shorten the process to get it completed before this latest controversy erupted.  As an SNP member, I can't easily accept the blatant manipulation of the electoral process as still being acceptable given what is now coming out. Yousaf is not up to the job, has already reneged on his promise to attend the AUOB thing on 6th May, is pressing ahead with the stupidity of challenging the GRR decision (and AFAIK is not going to make it a general point of principle that could cover other matters such as constitutional issues but just a challenge to the blocking of the GRR itself).  Already he is like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

It will be interesting to see if any charges are pressed.  Has Murrell used indy funds to buy himself a motorhome and the loan was an attempt to get out of a tricky situation?  Surely he wouldn't be that stupid?  I'm guessing that this whole thing is some sort of attack by the British state but it's like a very poorly written soap opera.  Let's see who gets thrown under a bus...

the story that i heard was that it was a prominent donor has a lot to do with it  

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

the story that i heard was that it was a prominent donor has a lot to do with it  

See if you google "SNP donor death" you will see the SNP has received huge amounts left in people's wills and not just donations from the Weir's

6 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

See if you google "SNP donor death" you will see the SNP has received huge amounts left in people's wills and not just donations from the Weir's

Maybe the police thought they might be buried in the garden?

52 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Maybe the police thought they might be buried in the garden?

The amounts the SNP were taking in through memberships and donations  yet Murrell has to make a "loan" to keep the SNP solvent ?

I am starting to smell something stinking of fish ...and it's not fish

57 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

The amounts the SNP were taking in through memberships and donations  yet Murrell has to make a "loan" to keep the SNP solvent ?

I am starting to smell something stinking of fish ...and it's not fish

From what I've heard, the loan was made during an election campaign for cash flow reasons as opposed to keeping the party solvent. There'll be a things that cannot be reported at this stage due to the potential of contempt of court of course.

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Well without going into detail as it could be total pish is that a former donor(still alive) ran their own investigation into the party’s finances and stumbled across irregularities 🤷‍♂️ I think us as a party are in serious trouble 

Meanwhile, in Ireland.....

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2023/0418/1377638-cso-government-finance-figures/

"The Government is expected to run a surplus in the public finances of €10 billion this year, while its forecast for next year is for a surplus of €16.2 billion."

Also....i'm pretty sure Ireland (specifically the republic) is about to overtake Scotland in terms of population in the next few years.

27 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2023/0418/1377638-cso-government-finance-figures/

"The Government is expected to run a surplus in the public finances of €10 billion this year, while its forecast for next year is for a surplus of €16.2 billion."

Also....i'm pretty sure Ireland (specifically the republic) is about to overtake Scotland in terms of population in the next few years.

Wouldn't surprise me. What's the population there now, just over 5 million?  Norway is pretty much neck and neck with us now too.

10 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Wouldn't surprise me. What's the population there now, just over 5 million?  Norway is pretty much neck and neck with us now too.

Aye, just over 5m now.

Scotland falling behind and atrophying. 

Screenshot (3).png

1 hour ago, Dave78 said:

Aye, just over 5m now.

Scotland falling behind and atrophying. 

Screenshot (3).png

Depressing reading (if you live in Scotland, which not many people do!). 

I think last year or the year before we had the lowest birth rate since records began.

Leaving the EU isn't exactly conducive to growing the population either, and going through a heath pandemic (which was largely managed dreadfully) won't have helped in that regard. Neither too will the apparently disproportionately high number of people in this country who kill themselves through drink and drug misuse each year. 😕

15 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Just shows what can be done if a small country has control over its own finances. There are some caveats in that report though. And, I'm not convinced that growing the population is the best way to improve our economic well being.

The SNP loved to reference Norway as a model for Scotland pre 2014, just a reminder that they are not in the EU and we don't need to be either. But they changed their tune since Sturgeon took over and want to model us as a neoliberal tax haven like Ireland instead. 

I suspect Humza as the continuity candidate will follow suit, however long he lasts. It's not what I want for Scotland 

8 minutes ago, Freeedom said:

The SNP loved to reference Norway as a model for Scotland pre 2014, just a reminder that they are not in the EU and we don't need to be either. But they changed their tune since Sturgeon took over and want to model us as a neoliberal tax haven like Ireland instead. 

I suspect Humza as the continuity candidate will follow suit, however long he lasts. It's not what I want for Scotland 

What makes you say that?

NS didn't have the powers to turn Scotland into a "neoliberal tax haven" even if she had wanted to.