Indyref 2 (2) - Page 254 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Indyref 2 (2)

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"out of work couple" is the bit that should be highlighted

I doubt an out of work couple are going to sell their house in England then move to Scotland and buy a new house here.

That's ignoring negative equity and paying off the existing mortgage on their old house, and any other debts they have

A lot of hassle for an extra £400 a week

32 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

That’s a snippet of the benefits package,, why would anyone work when you get handed that 🙈

IMG_5596.jpeg

Is there a breakdown of the benefits that make this up, and do you know if ‘out of work ‘ covers all unemployed including the disabled and carers? Also, any idea roughly how many families with 4 children are receiving this ? 
The gap is massive so just interested to see what its compromised of. 

32 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

"out of work couple" is the bit that should be highlighted

I doubt an out of work couple are going to sell their house in England then move to Scotland and buy a new house here.

That's ignoring negative equity and paying off the existing mortgage on their old house, and any other debts they have

A lot of hassle for an extra £400 a week

A close member of my family deals with this and yes the amount of folk shifting from down south to Scotland with no connections up here to claim benefits is a lot, these folk on the face of it,  don’t have mortgages and are getting council houses. As I said, they are even charging our councils for home removals, shipping everything from down south to Scotland 

17 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Is there a breakdown of the benefits that make this up, and do you know if ‘out of work ‘ covers all unemployed including the disabled and carers? Also, any idea roughly how many families with 4 children are receiving this ? 
The gap is massive so just interested to see what its compromised of. 

I haven’t figures as yet and would Probably only get for my local area, this is being openly spoken about between the department that is dealing with it so they know there is an issue with folk flitting from south to here only for the benifits, 

Benefits Bulletin May 2024.pdf

7 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

A close member of my family deals with this and yes the amount of folk shifting from down south to Scotland with no connections up here to claim benefits is a lot, these folk on the face of it,  don’t have mortgages and are getting council houses. As I said, they are even charging our councils for home removals, shipping everything from down south to Scotland 

How easily are they getting council houses? My sister was in a position recently, with 2 young children aged 10 and under, who lost her rented house as the owner wanted to sell. She could not afford the rent increases in private however she had been on a council house waiting list for years as she knew something like this could happen one day.  She got a council house at the very last minute due to her emergency situation, though its not somewhere you would probably choose to live given a choice. She is still there. 

Is there ample council housing in parts of the country? 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

How easily are they getting council houses? My sister was in a position recently, with 2 young children aged 10 and under, who lost her rented house as the owner wanted to sell. She could not afford the rent increases in private however she had been on a council house waiting list for years as she knew something like this could happen one day.  She got a council house at the very last minute due to her emergency situation, though its not somewhere you would probably choose to live given a choice. She is still there. 

Is there ample council housing in parts of the country? 

I couldn’t answer how readily available the housing is, I have no idea apart from what I hear, and that is,  it’s hard to come by. However the folk coming from down south seem to be getting the housing, I am really unsure how. 

Edited by hampden_loon2878

9 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I haven’t figures as yet and would Probably only get for my local area, this is being openly spoken about between the department that is dealing with it so they know there is an issue with folk flitting from south to here only for the benifits, 

Benefits Bulletin May 2024.pdfUnavailable

I am getting this. They are onto you ! 🙂

IMG_9860.thumb.png.589f7cfe2b92a9bc7fbdc5b3c6debd2c.png

3 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I couldn’t answer how readily available the housing is, I have no idea apart from what I hear, and that is,  it’s hard to come by. However the folk coming from down south seem to be getting the housing, I am really unsure how. 

👍

8 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I have been reading a lot into populations of late, specifically Scottish population.. there has been a marked increase in population flow from England to Scotland,, digging deeper into that, I found that of the inward migration, the % of these being on benifits is massive, I am not speaking about retirees either,, I then dug into the benifits Scotland v England and I was astonished with the difference, I will send in the documention later however,, a unemployed couple with 4 kids receives 23k in England while in Scotland this is 42k 😱🙈 absolutely shocking, the worst bit of this is that they charge the Scottish tax payers for removal from England to Scotland,,, absolutely insane.. why work when you get 42k tax free into your hand 

We have a big problem.  The UK has a big problem. Fundamentally, too many people dont work, therefore we over tax those that do, and we can no longer support our infrastructure. 

i was in Spain recently and what struck me was how clean, well developed and technologically advanced it was.  it was like stepping in to an economy far more successful than our own.  basic things- the streets were not pot hole ridden and beautiful,  there was virtually no litter, things worked and  it was beautiful.  Coming back to Edinburgh felt like entering the third world. Oh yeah, and good food and wine was priced entirely reasonably. 

No more can we laugh at thr “backwards” nations like spain like we did in the 70s.  the uk is fast becoming a relative shit hole. 

The big problem is the generation of today have their heads in the clouds. They turn their nose up at jobs they see as below them in transport, in travel, in catering industries etc. They feel they are destined for so much more as a YouTube blogger, an actor, singer etc. Jobs that they do not feel is becoming of them Poles moving to the country take on, stick to it and gain promotions in that field of work. Shame our young generation do not have the same ethics.

How many couples with 4 children are on benefits of 42k per year? 

Why are they on benefits? Which benefits are they on?

The above needs to be answered before anyone jumps to conclusions. 

9 hours ago, Malcolm said:

I was in Spain recently and what struck me was how clean, well developed and technologically advanced it was.  it was like stepping in to an economy far more successful than our own.  basic things- the streets were not pot hole ridden and beautiful,  there was virtually no litter, things worked and  it was beautiful.  Coming back to Edinburgh felt like entering the third world. Oh yeah, and good food and wine was priced entirely reasonably. 

No more can we laugh at thr “backwards” nations like spain like we did in the 70s.  the uk is fast becoming a relative shit hole. 

I'm glad that you acknowledge that this is a UK wide problem and not just limited to Scotland as the media often seems to suggest. I think it's a combination of both societal attitudes as well as economic decline. 

We came back from Riga a few weeks back and were struck by how clean it was, very little rubbish in the streets, no chewing gum stained pavements, no discarded cigarette butts, little graffiti. You get the sense of national pride (understandable after decades of Soviet oppression), perhaps that would be a positive side effect of Scotland being independent!

10 hours ago, Malcolm said:

We have a big problem.  The UK has a big problem. Fundamentally, too many people dont work, therefore we over tax those that do, and we can no longer support our infrastructure. 

i was in Spain recently and what struck me was how clean, well developed and technologically advanced it was.  it was like stepping in to an economy far more successful than our own.  basic things- the streets were not pot hole ridden and beautiful,  there was virtually no litter, things worked and  it was beautiful.  Coming back to Edinburgh felt like entering the third world. Oh yeah, and good food and wine was priced entirely reasonably. 

You are absolutely right, time for scotland to get the fuck out of it

Well, there has been a lot of Tory chat on this thread in the past 24 hours. It reads more like the letters page of the Daily Mail, instead of a thread that is meant to be about Indy Ref 2.  

A few points:

• People on benefits are more likely to be in work than out of work.
  • It's a false assumption that most people are incentivized to work solely by the salary they receive. There's loads of evidence that isn't the case, from experiments where universal basic income has been tried, all the way through to society underpaying critical jobs, such as nursing.
  • HMRC loses way more money to tax avoidance and tax evasion schemes that it does to fraudulent benefit claims. Coincidentally, it’s the fraudulent benefit claims that get the most media coverage, particularly from newspapers whose owners have Non-Dom status.
  • The biggest problem for the “generation of today” is the shit-show that the generation of yesterday left behind. Whether that’s the environment or wages not keeping pace house prices.
  • Scotland is sparsely populated, so folk moving here from elsewhere is actually a good thing. Also folk are more likely to emigrate for work, study, or family connections, rather than a perception that folk move to countries because the benefit system there is a “soft touch”.  

6 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The big problem is the generation of today have their heads in the clouds. They turn their nose up at jobs they see as below them in transport, in travel, in catering industries etc. They feel they are destined for so much more as a YouTube blogger, an actor, singer etc. Jobs that they do not feel is becoming of them Poles moving to the country take on, stick to it and gain promotions in that field of work. Shame our young generation do not have the same ethics.

On 5/3/2024 at 6:35 PM, King Of Paisley said:

Imagine this was, say, Pete Wishart posting a cartoon showing the last 4 Tory PMs being hung. It would be headline news for days on the likes of BBC Scotlans with the usual BritNat sycophants demanding sackings, resignations and senior SNP guys being door stepped by the likes of Glenn Campbell.

Neil is on a par with Kelvin McKenzie. A hate filles, odious little cunt. Must have been his upbringing in Ferguslie Park that's turned him into the poisonous shit that he is

I reckon when he was a school wean in FP, he was bullied and had his play piece stolen from him, he's making up for it now though, the red faced, breathless, bloated cunt.

15 hours ago, Malcolm said:

I actually (for once) agree 100% with Malcolm 

7 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Spot on Craig - through work I deal with a good few Polish lads, hard working, shite weather doesn't bother them whilst working, they could do with a wee smile on their faces right enough 😄