Indyref 2 (2) - Page 252 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Indyref 2 (2)

14 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

it wasn’t so long ago that the whole tartan army was homophobic with a song about our friend Jimmy Hill.

Whilst she personally might not of voted for gay marriage I believe that she would have brought it to a vote if leader.  She sees beyond her own religious views.

I think that's stretching it a bit - Jimmy wasn't gay

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

well, no, of course he wasn’t.  Depends on whether you think the use of the term “poof” as a slur is not homophobic unless directed at someone who is actually gay.  I would say it probably was.

9 hours ago, exile said:

As I said on the other thread, it's not so much that she's Christian; the objection some people have is that she apparently said she would not have voted for gay marriage, therefore is seen as not supporting a fair society for all, so is at best divisive, at worst homophobic. 

Would Humza? He had a habit of avoiding votes that were conflicted with Islam. 

9 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Whilst she personally might not of voted for gay marriage I believe that she would have brought it to a vote if leader.  She sees beyond her own religious views.

Agreed - she's said as much. 

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

well, no, of course he wasn’t.  Depends on whether you think the use of the term “poof” as a slur is not homophobic unless directed at someone who is actually gay.  I would say it probably was.

It defo is homophobic, thankfully in the past. 

Just need to get rid of songs about Harry Kane being disabled now though whilst theirs fans with the same disability in the same stadium.

10 hours ago, Malcolm said:

it wasn’t so long ago that the whole tartan army was homophobic with a song about our friend Jimmy Hill.

10 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

The song used a slang term for being gay in a negative sense. As in, Scotland fans thought (at the time) that the worst thing you could say about someone was to call them gay, even if they weren't.

It's straight up homophobic. The only difference between now and then was that homophobia was acceptable in the 80s, as another song goes. 

a HECK of a lot of people claiming virtuosity now were against gay civil partnership (not gay per se) back in the day.  don't kid yourselves on.  It's actually a good thing people can change their minds.  It was a majority who were against it not that long ago which is unthinkable now.

44 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

a HECK of a lot of people claiming virtuosity now were against gay civil partnership (not gay per se) back in the day.  don't kid yourselves on.  It's actually a good thing people can change their minds.  It was a majority who were against it not that long ago which is unthinkable now.

totally agree.  Same with slaves.

29 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Aaaaaaaarrrrrgggghhhh the comments section! 

"Ruth Davidson and Douglas Ross are both wonderful examples of Scottish common sense, competence and both have worked hard to protect the union from the crass, victim-stoked obsession with breaking it asunder.

Well done, Douglas!" 🤡

21 minutes ago, StirlingEgg said:

Aaaaaaaarrrrrgggghhhh the comments section! 

"Ruth Davidson and Douglas Ross are both wonderful examples of Scottish common sense, competence and both have worked hard to protect the union from the crass, victim-stoked obsession with breaking it asunder.

Well done, Douglas!" 🤡

The whole report is vomit-inducing written solely for unionists but wriitten as if they are speaking on behalf of everyone and as if the SNP was some unelected military junta who had taken power via a coup.

12 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I don't know. But I don't remember people being troubled by him in this way.

On 5/2/2024 at 8:37 AM, Squirrelhumper said:

Related to this, not only Yousuf but does Sarwar ever get the same interrogation? Traditional, mainstream, majority Muslim views see same-sex relationships as being sinful. Has he ever been asked how he reconciles Labour Party policy with Islam? He aspires to be FM, what are his views, surely a good journalist would want to find out?

43 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Related to this, not only Yousuf but does Sarwar ever get the same interrogation? Traditional, mainstream, majority Muslim views see same-sex relationships as being sinful. Has he ever been asked how he reconciles Labour Party policy with Islam? He aspires to be FM, what are his views, surely a good journalist would want to find out?

I think the opposite. Only bad journalists think it's any of their or our business. All that matters is how they vote or what their proposed policies are on each issue. What religion they choose to follow is irrelevant, IMO. Even today catholics aren't supposed to use any form of contraception. Should journalists be going around asking every catholic politician if they have ever used a condom?

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I think the opposite. Only bad journalists think it's any of their or our business. All that matters is how they vote or what their proposed policies are on each issue. What religion they choose to follow is irrelevant, IMO. Even today catholics aren't supposed to use any form of contraception. Should journalists be going around asking every catholic politician if they have ever used a condom?

I took that to mean that the theoretical journalist could/should apply the same standard of curiosity and questioning for a person of similar standing in another party. Why is it a sensitive issue for some and not others? We know the answer to that re double standards but the pointless gotcha questions continue. 

Edited by StirlingEgg

7 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

image.jpeg.f9d061ba0b6ae385cb5fb6ed34c41d9f.jpeg

5 hrs ago he had too busy a day to savage the Tories but had enough time 4 hrs ago to post a pathetic cartoon about the SNP. The last time i looked ‘a day’ was 24 hrs. Not much chance of him being able to calculate ‘a generation ‘ then is there.  The guy is an utter bellend.

IMG_9828.thumb.jpeg.8774fba17c794f6b4cf241fa837d7136.jpeg