Indyref 2 (2) - Page 207 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Indyref 2 (2)

7 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

That story is being peddled by Kevin Hague and Sam Taylor of These Islands

The story is completely untrue. Phones were bought by *constituency offices* for staff to work from home during pandemic. As if somebody would buy a burner phone and put it on expenses !

The Scottish express is all over this too. That tells you everything you need to know

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, StirlingEgg said:

I've just sat down and had a quick glance over the latest news updates, how foolish of me...The Covid enquiry at this stage then:

UK govt held regular parties and social events, PM pretended they were near death, funneled wheelbarrows of cash into cronies' pockets for PPE, funneled even more to get rid of the useless stuff, ignored fraudulent grants/loans, ignored expert advice, ignored travel restrictions, went on tv gameshow afterwards, prioritised Brexit over Covid & everything else but without real scrutiny or recognising consequences...

However, Nicola Sturgeon took her mask off at a funeral and didn't take minutes during meetings. 

Hopefully Ireland will seriously start considering uniting then Scotland can't avoid getting its act together 🤞

This is exactly what every independence supporter must remember and they must see through the constant bombardment from the unionist media. Since covid, the media in the UK has been on the offensive to wipe out the snp and its main players and I believe it will get worse.

The SNP should be setting up a team with the sole purpose of debunking their shit, like Wings did before he lost the plot.

8 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

The story is completely untrue. Phones were bought by *constituency offices* for staff to work from home during pandemic. As if somebody would buy a burner phone and put it on expenses !

Which is entirely feasible but why would you buy a 2G phone worth £16 to enable staff to work from home?

I don't know anyone who has a work phone who doesn't have a smart phone. 

12 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Which is entirely feasible but why would you buy a 2G phone worth £16 to enable staff to work from home?

Maybe because it is the publics money and a 2G phone is sufficient for purpose? I dont know , but that also sounds entirely feasible . 

No doubt if they had splashed out on smartphones the headline would be ‘ SNP waste MILLIONS on mobile phones for staff. 

11 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Sturgeon with a burner phone, seems extremely dodgy 

Maybe she was cooking crystal meth in the motor home parked in her mother in law’s driveway then selling it to prisoners on her burner phone. 

9 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Aye, that's a circle I can't square either. I mean, if you were clever enough to know that whatever nefarious scheme you were involved in required the use of a burner phone, you surely wouldn't be stupid enough to try and claim the cost of the phone back on expenses, especially when you get a wee cheap second-hand mobile for washers these days.

I see Wings has done a couple of articles about this too, albeit his angle is different from Hague and Taylor's - they want to make it about the pandemic; Wings is linking it to the Salmond trial.

57 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Oh, I do. 🙄 

He has refused to use it and only uses his laptop when he isn't in the office. 

30 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Maybe she was cooking crystal meth in the motor home parked in her mother in law’s driveway then selling it to prisoners on her burner phone. 

Do you know, that would really good idea for a TV show...

Plenty I don't like about Sturgeon's decision going to the supreme court and then not following through with a defacto referendum, poor policies and the use of SNP funds but I tell you what, this burner phone thing is jump the shark stuff.  I note it's not really percolating into proper journalism but is left about like a bad smell by activists of one side.

Sturgeon is a class act (as was Salmond), looks likely she's coping quite well under extreme attempted smear job.  The inquiry questions though are not a smear, they are legitimate.

Unionism is absolutely desperate to kill off the SNP and smear its symbolic leadership.  Is that not more likely than Machiavellian conspiracies?  I think some Yes supporters are being taken in, spending more time criticising well meaning (if dubious polices about trans stuff etc) than seeing a bigger picture.  I can't stand some in the SNP either by the way, but goodness me.

Edited by PapofGlencoe

21 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

Plenty I don't like about Sturgeon's decision going to the supreme court and then not following through with a defacto referendum, poor policies and the use of SNP funds but I tell you what, this burner phone thing is jump the shark stuff.  I note it's not really percolating into proper journalism but is left about like a bad smell by activists of one side.

Sturgeon is a class act (as was Salmond), looks likely she's coping quite well under extreme attempted smear job.  The inquiry questions though are not a smear, they are legitimate.

Unionism is absolutely desperate to kill off the SNP and smear its symbolic leadership.  Is that not more likely than Machiavellian conspiracies?  I think some Yes supporters are being taken in, spending more time criticising well meaning (if dubious polices about trans stuff etc) than seeing a bigger picture.  I can't stand some in the SNP either by the way, but goodness me.

Wholeheartedly agree (for what it's worth 🙂). Surely more folk by now are thinking there's 2 different yardsticks getting used...

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Maybe because it is the publics money and a 2G phone is sufficient for purpose? I dont know , but that also sounds entirely feasible . 

No doubt if they had splashed out on smartphones the headline would be ‘ SNP waste MILLIONS on mobile phones for staff. 

Why would NS, as first minister, be buying £16 phones for staff? I know she likes to micro manage but come on. 

3 hours ago, scotlad said:

Oh, I do. 🙄 

He has refused to use it and only uses his laptop when he isn't in the office. 

Mine is switched off when i'm not working but it's handy if i need to nip out when meant to be working. 

I refuse to believe in this day and age anyone has a works phone that doesn't have Teams etc on it! 

7 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Why would NS, as first minister, be buying £16 phones for staff? I know she likes to micro manage but come on. 

For working from home during the pandemic when normal office landlines may be unavailable? In the job I do we all needed mobiles during covid as a disaster  recovery back up. 

What is the issue, the fact they were cheap or that they were given to staff? I am trying to be the devils advocate here. In normal times landlines would be used. I don’t think staff using their personal mobiles would be an option. 

1 hour ago, PapofGlencoe said:

👍

36 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

For working from home during the pandemic when normal office landlines may be unavailable? In the job I do we all needed mobiles during covid as a disaster  recovery back up. 

What is the issue, the fact they were cheap or that they were given to staff? I am trying to be the devils advocate here. In normal times landlines would be used. I don’t think staff using their personal mobiles would be an option. 

It just seems a bit odd, might be perfectly reasonable purchase. 

9 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

It just seems a bit odd, might be perfectly reasonable purchase. 

I am cutting them a bit of slack here as I know what my company was like at the start of covid. We had landlines diverting to mobiles  all the time as we were not set up for home working at all , it was chaos and the phone lines could only cope with so many incoming calls , the rest were getting diverted to mobiles with voicemail as customers were not getting through otherwise .
I work in a profit making area and had to put all sorts of things on expenses as we just didn’t have them at home. It was a case of react first.
The public sector will be under a lot more scrutiny regarding costs. I  can see this being a plausible situation regarding the phones. 

13 minutes ago, Freeedom said:

The best thing that can happen to the independence movement is to not vote for the SNP, don't reward bad behaviour it's the only way that the party can reset. 

Send them a message at the ballot box

Bang on, that is exactly where I am at the moment 

1 hour ago, Freeedom said:

The best thing that can happen to the independence movement is to not vote for the SNP, don't reward bad behaviour it's the only way that the party can reset. 

Send them a message at the ballot box

Are you suggesting people shouldn't vote, or do you think they should vote for another party? If so, which one?

The KC being an extreme quisling (promoted a No vote in 2014) would have been better spent asking questions today about lockdown rather than Independence

Nae wonder the Covid Bereaved families are still looking for answers

29 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Are you suggesting people shouldn't vote, or do you think they should vote for another party? If so, which one?

The only thing I'm suggesting is to not vote for the SNP if you support independence. You can make your own decision from there

Edited by Freeedom

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

The KC being an extreme quisling (promoted a No vote in 2014) would have been better spent asking questions today about lockdown rather than Independence

Nae wonder the Covid Bereaved families are still looking for answers

It does seem a bizarre line of questioning given the context of Covid management. Who really cares about an email referencing Spain? Some folk are saying there hasn't been enough focus on independence when it may well have been hanging around in the background of every decision here (of course it would when they know the scrutiny is turned up to 11). Sturgeon said in an early briefing that they'd get things wrong. The stuff revealed so far is hardly "let the bodies pile high" material. 

Some of what the Wee Ginger Dug says (in tomorrow's National?):

In doing so, it [the BBC] has done a grave disservice to the victims of the pandemic and their families.

Given the hysterical and over the top reaction of the anti-independence media you'd think it was Sturgeon who said something as callous as "Let the bodies pile high," had liberally larded out PPE contracts to her mates, pushed for a herd immunity approach while deliberately allowing mass gatherings, ignored scientific advice and introduced an expensive scheme to open up restaurants which led to a huge spike in Covid deaths - all while she was hosting drunken and raucous parties in Bute House.

They have cut off the head TWICE, and are currently destroying the independence movement, and some folk think letting Starmer's Brit Nat Tories take Scottish seats will be a good idea!

Have a wee think about it.