Ukraine v Scotland - discussion - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ukraine v Scotland - discussion

romanticscot

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Up there with Wembley last year and Australia 1985.

Incredible effort by the whole squad over the 3 games, we really are developing a fantastic club spirit about the squad.

Hickey could be world class.

Better than Wembley for me as we have got huge rewards from it instead of a consolation point. 

2 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Nah, tonight was better than both of them. 

Australia were a bit of a joke footballing nation tbh in 85 ; we made heavy weather of it as usual

Dave Mitchell was their "household" name 

ForwardDave Mitchell

Also the Wembley game, we were underdogs, in a straightforward 'do or die' situation. But in this game the pressure was on us to hold our nerve and hold on. A different kind of discipline.

Edited by exile

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

Great result tonight but can anyone tell me any advantages to being in league A. I know we get pot2 from winning this group and we get our play off place but our next nations league campaign will be very tough and it could be a struggle to get a play off place from it. 

We don't know how the play off places for WC 26 will work yet. But who doesn't want to play against the best teams. We might even beat some of them?

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Great result tonight but can anyone tell me any advantages to being in league A. I know we get pot2 from winning this group and we get our play off place but our next nations league campaign will be very tough and it could be a struggle to get a play off place from it. 

If we do decent we will be pot 2 for the World Cup qualifying. Can’t remember the last time that happened. 

3 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

If you keep winning groups you end up at the top and a crack at the trophy!

Also second pot for the qualifiers proper.

J

As a few people have alluded to, this also shows the depth of the squad we have now.

Only 2-3 years ago a few critical call offs left us short in certain positions.

The last 7 days has shown (in defence in particular) the options now available.

I hope Clarke gets a bit of credit for this .

17 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

It was obvious Porteous was going to start as I said earlier and fair play to him he was excellent. Porteous and Hickey top drawer tonight, also Jack Hendry. 

Hendry is a top centre back.

Well done Ryan Porteous. Be a few teams looking at him now I bet. 

Did you no have hickey at left back. Taylor actually played there which I told you would happen. Will just forget you were completley wrong about that.

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Also a big shout out to Jack Hendry. He has been superb in all three games and he has cemented his place in the side for me.

He really has been brilliant

23 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

We have yet another quality CB to add to the pool of potential starters. Hickey was immense, but under the extreme circumstances, you have got to give the MOTM to Porteous. What a performance.

So many putting him down before KO. Us Hibs fans know he’s quality. 

J

7 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Do we go into A4 or do we not know who we will have yet? Forgot how it all works tbh

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

We don’t know how the playoffs will be decided for the next World Cup yet so there’s no point in worrying about that. 

Euro 2024 is the priority now and we have given ourselves the best chance possible to get there. 

We will also have some potential glamour games in 2 years with some good away trips (Italy, Germany, Spain, Netherlands, France etc. are a lot more appealing than Armenia, Krakow or Dublin). 

If we can avoid relegation we will also be almost guaranteed a playoff for Euro 2028 as well. There’s also no guarantee we’d win our group next time if we had stayed in league B this time. 

Zero negatives about getting promoted for me. 

Just now, ProudScot said:

Do we go into A4 or do we not know who we will have yet? Forgot how it all works tbh

We’ll need to wait for the draw before we know what group we’ll be in but we’ll be in pot 4 so we’ll avoid Israel at least  

6 minutes ago, fringo said:

As a few people have alluded to, this also shows the depth of the squad we have now.

Only 2-3 years ago a few critical call offs left us short in certain positions.

The last 7 days has shown (in defence in particular) the options now available.

I hope Clarke gets a bit of credit for this .

There was a post on here in June calling for him to be sacked. Amazing how quickly things can change. 

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

For once I would have been happy to get Israel.

Nah I want a glamour group. Didn’t do Hungary any harm.

Sick of the sight of Israel and Ukraine. Commentator on Premier said it was Ukraine that finished best second placed team and will also be in Pot 2 so I was hoping we would avoid them at least until the next World Cup qualifiers but I think it might actually be Finland that will be in pot 2 with us and the other 3 group winners from league B. 

15 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

We don't know how the play off places for WC 26 will work yet. But who doesn't want to play against the best teams. We might even beat some of them?

14 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

If we do decent we will be pot 2 for the World Cup qualifying. Can’t remember the last time that happened. 

14 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

If you keep winning groups you end up at the top and a crack at the trophy!

Also second pot for the qualifiers proper.

J

10 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

We don’t know how the playoffs will be decided for the next World Cup yet so there’s no point in worrying about that. 

Euro 2024 is the priority now and we have given ourselves the best chance possible to get there. 

We will also have some potential glamour games in 2 years with some good away trips (Italy, Germany, Spain, Netherlands, France etc. are a lot more appealing than Armenia, Krakow or Dublin). 

If we can avoid relegation we will also be almost guaranteed a playoff for Euro 2028 as well. There’s also no guarantee we’d win our group next time if we had stayed in league B this time. 

Zero negatives about getting promoted for me. 

All very good but would we get a play off spot for finishing bottom or second bottom in league A which being honest theres a good chance we will.

These games have been great and its brilliant us topping the group because of the pot2 advantage and the play off spot to fall back on but being in league A next nations league is surely a disadvantage in terms of trying to get another play off spot. 

Either way we have done great but it just seems like going up a league might reduce our chance of another play off spot next time.