Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals - Page 36 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals

7 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I don't know where this "England were the better team" stuff is coming from. France were clearly the better team and had that game under control. France weren't at their best with their final ball often just not quite spot on.  I'm happy for the English to think they were the better team, and hard done by, because that means they won't learn from their short comings. They are just not good enough at this level. If Morocco don't offer any more than England did, then France will be very happy. 

If France lift this World Cup with 5 or 6 of their best players missing then nobody else should bother turning up for the next couple.  They looked to me like they could step it up against the English and had the better clear cut chances.  England probably wasted their best opportunity, putting out a full-strength side against a weakened top-level one and they still couldn't do the business despite getting a couple of penalties.

The delusion will continue though even if it has absolutely no basis in facts.  They've already got the next Euros won apparently.  🙄  Reality is, meet a big side and out they go.  When a cheating johnny foreigner can be identified as a scapegoat, the ref in this instance, it does make it even funnier.  🤣

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, daviebee said:

If France lift this World Cup with 5 or 6 of their best players missing then nobody else should bother turning up for the next couple.  They looked to me like they could step it up against the English and had the better clear cut chances.  England probably wasted their best opportunity, putting out a full-strength side against a weakened top-level one and they still couldn't do the business despite getting a couple of penalties.

The delusion will continue though even if it has absolutely no basis in facts.  They've already got the next Euros won apparently.  🙄  Reality is, meet a big side and out they go.  When a cheating johnny foreigner can be identified as a scapegoat, the ref in this instance, it does make it even funnier.  🤣

😂

I'm just glad we are laughing at them before the semi finals. Even shit teams sometimes get lucky. 😂

1 hour ago, mcguffin said:

This is a good analysis of Morocco. I think France will have their work cutout.  That said, with Griezmann and Giroud (with Mbappe playing the same scary decoy role as in the Quater-Final), they might be the only team so far who might unlock the amazing Moroccan defence?

They could easily do a Greece 2004.  It'd be some story if they do.  It'd be interesting to see how they'd react to going behind though.

On 12/11/2022 at 3:39 PM, Third Lanark said:

Yes, let's not get too smug. They are a young improving team with great strength in depth. The law of averages says they will win a major tournament soon. Just hope they get a tougher draw next tournament as they have been helped by kind draws.

Someone pointed out to me that their next qualifying group is probably their hardest for a long while - possibly since Euro 2008 when they were knocked out by Croatia and Russia. They've got Italy, Ukraine and North Macedonia (plus Malta) - Ukraine went unbeaten in their World Cup qualifying group, getting two draws against the French and North Macedonia beat Germany and Italy away in the last qualifiers.

They should still qualify, but that group could lead to a lower seeding for Euro 2024 (as the final tournament seeding is directly based off of your qualifying performance now) and a tougher group as a result.

10 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Normally the English are delusional going in to a tournament and the scathing when they inevitably get knocked out.  You'd think they'd narrowly lost in the final with all the "really close to winning it" guff we've heard since Saturday.  No, you got knocked out in the quarter finals by the first decent team you faced and only managed to beat teams you absolutely should have beaten (and I guess we're just glossing over the USA draw now!).

Basically every tournament since I've been alive has seen England blame their exit on something other than their own performances or ability: media pressure; 'awful weather so kids don't want to play football'; weather being too hot/humid; 'kids want to play video games'; obesity; refereeing decisions; burnout; injuries; 'lottery' of penalties; player x did something which got player y sent off.

All these excuses fail to recognise basically every team at the World Cup has some combination of these factors.

Typically, the side which wins the tournament is one of the best sides in it. The English media cannot accept the reason England haven't won anything in the past 50 years: simply not being good enough.

2 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Normal practice for the 2 teams in the final, bit premature here though

4 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Normal practice for the 2 teams in the final, bit premature here though

Aye, but ordering 18,000???  I really hope it's a spoof as it's genuinely scary to think that there are folk like that walking among us.

Maybe somebody will mass produce Twelfth of Never labels to stitch over them. 😁

For once, we have got to the semi finals and I don't really mind who wins it.

If Morocco win it, that will be an amazing story. I've always liked Argentina and it would be great for Messi to finally win it and put him up there alongside Maradona amongst the all time greats. I've also always liked the way Croatia play the game and it would be good if they could get the top prize before this set of star players retire. If France win, Mbape will be one step closer to emulating Pele, the greatest of them all.

I just hope we get some good exciting football.

8 hours ago, daviebee said:

I daresay the free nationwide publicity he got for his money it was extremely good business as he couldnt  lose 

Unlike his team 😀

10 hours ago, daviebee said:

Aye, but ordering 18,000???  I really hope it's a spoof as it's genuinely scary to think that there are folk like that walking among us.

Maybe somebody will mass produce Twelfth of Never labels to stitch over them. 😁

Aye it's madness but it's England we are talking about.

Anyway Messi sublime tonight. That run for the 3rd goal was tremendous. Really hope they win it now