U21s - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

U21s

Hertsscot

5 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Do you judge him to be better than them? Ive only ive seen him play a couple of times. He has potential but would you say he is currently better than Armstrong and Turnbull? (Btw im not a huge fan of Turnbull but I think he has done enough to be in the squad)

Im all for blooding good youth asap but theres a balance. Senior caps should still be earned. 

I would say he brings something different to Armstrong and Turnbull, namely the ability to drop his shoulder and beat several players. In the absence of Fraser I don’t think we have someone like that in the squad. Anyway, Dykes dropped out and has yet to be replaced, so why not? 

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I would say he brings something different to Armstrong and Turnbull, namely the ability to drop his shoulder and beat several players. In the absence of Fraser I don’t think we have someone like that in the squad. Anyway, Dykes dropped out and has yet to be replaced, so why not? 

So probably competing with Brown, (possibly, not sure if Clarke sees him as a line striker or not) McGinn, Armstrong, Christie and Turnbull for one of the 2 positions behind the striker then?

One thing I do see benefit in is calling up a couple of U21 type players to train with the full squad per game. Gives them exposure, makes then feel part of the setup and also allows management to see them against their competition. Ie Anderson could come in to train and look miles better than those listed above in which case by all means play him.

53 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

So probably competing with Brown, (possibly, not sure if Clarke sees him as a line striker or not) McGinn, Armstrong, Christie and Turnbull for one of the 2 positions behind the striker then?

One thing I do see benefit in is calling up a couple of U21 type players to train with the full squad per game. Gives them exposure, makes then feel part of the setup and also allows management to see them against their competition. Ie Anderson could come in to train and look miles better than those listed above in which case by all means play him.

He’s a different player to those mentioned, one that might change a game with individual skill one v one. It might even be the case we will play a 4-5-1. That would certainly help for future games since every half decent opponent now expects him to go 3-5-2 with a punt up to Dykes, as Ukraine certainly did. 

I have no problem with your training suggestion for some players but I don’t think we should be dragging our heals in this particular case. 

17 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Makes it harder in fairness but I'm pretty sure Wales and Ireland would do it in a similar situation especially after Rice.

Loads of Nations League games and qualifiers against pot5 and 6 sides.

I'd rather we took the nations league seriously. Best route we have to qualify.

4 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Clarke has been very good at bringing young guys in or indeed uncapped players even when they are abit older.

Im all for blooding youth, especially when its mega obvious that they will become a star like Gilmour. Ive not seen enough of Anderson to know if he falls into that bracket however people need to remember that its also good to make a call up mean something.

It wasnt that long ago we were handing out caps too easily. Players were calling off squads all the time knowing they would get straight back in.

Now we have a situation where players are delaying their own holidays to attend 3 and 4 player training camps. Situations like Fraser where players have been left in no doubt whats acceptable and what feels like a real solid club type feel squad.

Theres always a balance and id have no issues with phasing somebody like McLean out the squad to have a top prospect around however again Clarkes been very good at moving people on. However in the current squad what midfield player would you move out? Ferguson who is doing well at Aberdeen? Turnbull who many believe will be a good player?

Great post. 

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

If I judged him to be better than those players, then absolutely, albeit those players are nothing like him. I’m sure the Wales players don’t run crying to their mummy when it happens to them. 

I'd maybe seen your point if he was playing at any sort of level for his club side. 

Guys playing week in week out in the EPL dropped so a boy, who might never ever, ever get close to that level, is capped so he can't switch to Eng;and? If we are that worried about him jumping ship, then let him. 

21 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'd maybe seen your point if he was playing at any sort of level for his club side. 

Guys playing week in week out in the EPL dropped so a boy, who might never ever, ever get close to that level, is capped so he can't switch to Eng;and? If we are that worried about him jumping ship, then let him. 

He has played for the Newcastle first team. Watch him on Sportscene and then decide. It’s not hard to see he’s a player. 

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I do agree with you there. To cap someone just to prevent him playing for England is the wrong reason to do so. If we are that worried he will turn his back on us then we must seriously doubt his commitment.

However, like I said in an earlier post, Newcastle scouts and youth coaches who have been involved with the club for a long time liken him to Bearsdley and Gascoigne - they were two seriously good international players.

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'd rather we took the nations league seriously. Best route we have to qualify.

Oh totally- it's a balancing act that's hugely difficult to achieve and very easy to criticise with the benefit of hindsight.

I just think given the size of bench there is room for one with potential that's progressing and has England hovering. They don't need to take a punt and if he rips it up before 4 caps we've maybe a fight on our hands.

We're loads better with youngsters now but still bits to learn. Southgate was all over Liveremento as example and they must already have at least 5 right backs ahead in the queue.

Benefit of hindsight again but Harry Souttar is a massive loss and don't want to risk another one held in higher esteem already

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I do agree with you there. To cap someone just to prevent him playing for England is the wrong reason to do so. If we are that worried he will turn his back on us then we must seriously doubt his commitment.

However, like I said in an earlier post, Newcastle scouts and youth coaches who have been involved with the club for a long time liken him to Bearsdley and Gascoigne - they were two seriously good international players.

It’s not the only reason. I expect him to make a big career breakthrough next season, so we should show him we want him. Three Nations League games now is a good way of getting ahead of the curve. 

I think if he turns up to play in a dead rubber game in Belgium then hopefully that tells enough that he wants to play for us. He doesn't need to try and get him name out there as a lot of people have said he is highly rated already.

23 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

He has played for the Newcastle first team. Watch him on Sportscene and then decide. It’s not hard to see he’s a player. 

How many games for the first team? 1? 2? 

Matty Longstaff has played tons for Newcastle and wouldn't get a sniff for Scotland. Could barely get a game for a rank rotten Aberdeen side. 

I watched the 21s game live, he's a decent player, he might have a good career but stating that he should get game time in Nations League games which are great way of qualifying for major tournaments, just so he doesn't fuck off to England is crazy talk. 

The boy has played at League 2 level and no higher but aye, lets play him ahead of established EPL players in crucial qualifiers so he can't piss off to England potentially in 2 years. 

Gie us peace. 

I'd say the fact he was playing league 2 at 19 years old and not say Championship gives an indication of his current levels. 

15 minutes ago, stitch said:

I think if he turns up to play in a dead rubber game in Belgium then hopefully that tells enough that he wants to play for us. He doesn't need to try and get him name out there as a lot of people have said he is highly rated already.

Agreed, let him progress. If he gets game time at a decent level next season then i;m more than sure Clarke will call him up to have a look. 

He called up Gilmour and Patterson for the Euro's at his age. Difference was these kids were playing (albeit not every week) at top level domestically and in Europe. 

37 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

How many games for the first team? 1? 2? 

Matty Longstaff has played tons for Newcastle and wouldn't get a sniff for Scotland. Could barely get a game for a rank rotten Aberdeen side. 

I watched the 21s game live, he's a decent player, he might have a good career but stating that he should get game time in Nations League games which are great way of qualifying for major tournaments, just so he doesn't fuck off to England is crazy talk. 

The boy has played at League 2 level and no higher but aye, lets play him ahead of established EPL players in crucial qualifiers so he can't piss off to England potentially in 2 years. 

Gie us peace. 

I'd say the fact he was playing league 2 at 19 years old and not say Championship gives an indication of his current levels. 

Bookmarked. I saw enough of him the other night to see he would give us a great option off the bench.

On 6/5/2022 at 11:18 PM, mccaughey85 said:

We would have to cap him 4 times to lock him in. Surely we cant justify capping a guy whos only played league 2 football. I know hes a talented player but hes only made a couple of sub appearances for Newcastle.

I don't think the English League 2 is much worse than our Championship, where a young John McGinn was playing when he won his first cap.  It might "only" be League 2 football but Anderson by all accounts stood out a mile.

I really don't see the harm in capping him sooner rather than later, or at the very least, including him in a few senior squads if the U21s don't have a game.  If he fulfils his potential we could have a hell of a player on our hands; if he doesn't make the grade, well, the history books will show he won a few caps for Scotland, that's it. 

At the moment he seems like he might be a more exciting addition than perennial benchwarmers like Lewis Ferguson and Kenny McLean.

8 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

No Elliot Anderson for the u21s. It can only mean 3 things. 

Could mean five things.

1. He is carrying an injury.

2. He is being rested.

3. He has been called up for the senior squad.

4. He has went over to the dark side in which case good to know now he was not fully committed to us.

5. He is going to a wedding.

8 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Could mean five things.

1. He is carrying an injury.

2. He is being rested.

3. He has been called up for the senior squad.

4. He has went over to the dark side in which case good to know now he was not fully committed to us.

5. He is going to a wedding.

6. He's got a dentist appointment.