Ukraine - Page 75 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Belarus strongman Aleksander Lukashenko has conducted talks with Yevegeny Prigozhin.

As a result of the negotiations that lasted for the whole day, Prigozhin has agreed to de-escalate.

Lukashenko’s press service reports the negotiations took place with Vladimir Putin’s agreement.

“Prigozhin has agreed to stop the march towards Moscow and take further steps to de-escalate the situation,” the statement says.

As part of the agreement, Wagner fighters get security guarantees.

What else was offered to Prigozhin and mercenaries is not clear.

Michael O'Hanlon, an expert with the Brookings Institution, tells the BBC this deal "makes sense" because the situation in Russia was "extraordinarily risky" from Yevgeny Prigozhin's point of view.

"The idea that Prigozhin could somehow engender a broad-based mass revolt against Putin is really a fairly tale," O'Hanlon says.

However, it remains a "highly critical and dangerous moment" in Russia, O'Hanlon says.

Several questions also remain, including what kind of terms Prigozhin was offered and what prospects he has for staying alive, O'Hanlon says.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, aaid said:

Not enough since they’ve just shat it.  

I think Lukashenko shat it first - terrified of an uprising in Belarus as well 

There is no way of knowing if Wagner could have instigated a civil war or not - because they stopped

When it kicked off big time anything could have happened

Looks like Wagner bluffed and won - all depends now what the price is they pay for it

5 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I think Lukashenko shat it first - terrified of an uprising in Belarus as well 

There is no way of knowing if Wagner could have instigated a civil war or not - because they stopped

When it kicked off big time anything could have happened

Looks like Wagner bluffed and won - all depends now what the price is they pay for it

Prigozhin exiled to Belarus, presumably he’ll be living in a bungalow 

1 hour ago, sjd1972 said:

As with everything else in the world Craig Murray and his followers reckon its a Western plot and that Prigozhin has been bought off by the CIA amongst others. 😆

Craig Murray should concentrate on paying his bills. 

5 hours ago, aaid said:

He's got plenty of credulous followers who are more than happy to be rinsed of cash in return for Craig's unique take on world affairs.

13 minutes ago, sjd1972 said:

He's got plenty of credulous followers who are more than happy to be rinsed of cash in return for Craig's unique take on world affairs.

None of which seems to be heading towards the artists from Doune the Rabbit Hole. 

8 hours ago, sjd1972 said:

As with everything else in the world Craig Murray and his followers reckon its a Western plot and that Prigozhin has been bought off by the CIA amongst others. 😆

I must have missed that. Just a joke?

6 hours ago, aaid said:

53 minutes ago, aaid said:

None of which seems to be heading towards the artists from Doune the Rabbit Hole. 

Enjoying folk losing money due to covid?   I used to like your posts aaid, but you seem to double down on pro-independence folk.   (Not that I support your nemesis on here either btw.)

7 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

I must have missed that. Just a joke?

Enjoying folk losing money due to covid?   I used to like your posts aaid, but you seem to double down on pro-independence folk.   (Not that I support your nemesis on here either btw.)

I’m not sure it was down to covid.  The festival took place, from what I understand it was well attended and was a successful event.  Artists subsequently weren’t paid what they were due.   Bad management is the only possible reason.  COVID was particularly difficult as well for performing artists, so that card rings a little bit hollow. 

In fact, who’s enjoying it.  I can recall a couple of artists that I follow on Twitter cracking up about it at the time, they weren’t enjoying it.  

Edited by aaid

8 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Give it 6 months and he'll be one of the people to have mysteriously vanished

He won’t vanish, he’ll be found on the pavement beneath a 5th floor window 😳

• 4 weeks later...

Russia is raising the maximum age at which men can be conscripted from 27 to 30, making more of them liable to serve in the armed forces.

The change was passed by the lower house of parliament on Tuesday.

A senior Russian MP said the new law was written with a major conflict in mind.

"It already smells like a big war," Andrei Kartapolov, head of the Russian parliament's defence committee, told MPs.

The draft law also bans men from leaving the country from the day of their call-up. Since April, conscription papers can be issued online instead of in person.

In addition, men who fail to report for conscription will be liable for fines of up to 30,000 roubles ($332), a tenfold increase.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66304522

Someone found an really clever way to estimate deaths on Russian side. Worked out about 50k at the time of the figures.

So this war is really costly on both sides militarily , plus all the civilians too. Infrastructure etc.

26 minutes ago, phart said:

Someone found an really clever way to estimate deaths on Russian side. Worked out about 50k at the time of the figures.

So this war is really costly on both sides militarily , plus all the civilians too. Infrastructure etc.

The worry about trying to win a war of attrition is that eventually both sides, in this case mainly Russia, will look for a quick way to end it militarily 

Potentially increasing conscription is not a good sign

On 7/26/2023 at 8:53 AM, phart said:

Heard the death toll on the Ukraine side is over 200,000 ? surely not ??

• 4 weeks later...