Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 385 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

19 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Morgan's goal yesterday.

Every time I watch MLS highlights I think the games are quite mental actually. Played at a good tempo but some of the defending is as daft as you'll see.  Not sure what marking was going on for Morgan's goal but he did react well. He misses a 1 on 1 and a sitter on the rebound less than a minute in to this video and has another chance about 3:30 where he fails to take a decent touch on a simple pass.

Ryan Gauld looks extremely classy throughout though.

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those yelling for Morgan and Gauld to be selected are overlooking a few pertinent facts me thinks. Their form has only improved when they landed in the MLS which, I think, says more about the league standard than them. The SPL takes a lot of flak but look at their last stints in the SPL and they never performed any mouth-watering form at all. Why? Surely, ones so talented would have excelled in such a weak league as the SPL but they did not. That tells me much. Johnny Russell was the same a few years back. Hardly ripped up trees in the SPL and in the twilight of his career moved to the MLS and his star rose and it rekindled his Scotland career. That is why I would say that Morgan and Gauld are by no means must picks for the Euros especially at such a late stage with the Euros just two months off and both playing in areas where our squad has not been decimated by injuries or injury worries. It is the full-back/wing-back positions that needs addressing but no Tierney and Hickey then ditch wing-backs and slot Porteous in at right-back and have Ralston as back up. Left back options after Robertson would have to be Taylor or Doig.

58 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Those yelling for Morgan and Gauld to be selected are overlooking a few pertinent facts me thinks. Their form has only improved when they landed in the MLS which, I think, says more about the league standard than them. The SPL takes a lot of flak but look at their last stints in the SPL and they never performed any mouth-watering form at all. Why? Surely, ones so talented would have excelled in such a weak league as the SPL but they did not. That tells me much. Johnny Russell was the same a few years back. Hardly ripped up trees in the SPL and in the twilight of his career moved to the MLS and his star rose and it rekindled his Scotland career. That is why I would say that Morgan and Gauld are by no means must picks for the Euros especially at such a late stage with the Euros just two months off and both playing in areas where our squad has not been decimated by injuries or injury worries. It is the full-back/wing-back positions that needs addressing but no Tierney and Hickey then ditch wing-backs and slot Porteous in at right-back and have Ralston as back up. Left back options after Robertson would have to be Taylor or Doig.

If Gauld was ever likely to be selected it would have been for the last Euros when he was captaining a side in the Portuguese premier league and still in his mid 20s.

My personal conclusion is that following that team's relegation and him not getting a call up he took the chance to go to the MLS, probably on a decent contract while he was still in a position to get paid well in his prime, and he's still come on to a game.

I suppose we'll never know how his quality really stacks up versus our current squad until such a time as he gets called up. He may end up having one of the more illustrious careers of anyone not to get a Scotland call up who was eligible the whole time.

I believe it's unlikely either will get called up but there still is time to have a look.  The MLS season only started in March and our last friendlies would have been great for us to look but not so great for their fitness and pre-season.  I would expect, with our current situation that Clarke is considering them and it's his decision what he does.  Both have a good reputation in the MLS, and though I believe nether really fits our system, I could be wrong however I think they offer something different off the bench. With a 26 man squad and with some gaps I think they deserve to be under consideration. 

5 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Every time I watch MLS highlights I think the games are quite mental actually. Played at a good tempo but some of the defending is as daft as you'll see.  Not sure what marking was going on for Morgan's goal but he did react well. He misses a 1 on 1 and a sitter on the rebound less than a minute in to this video and has another chance about 3:30 where he fails to take a decent touch on a simple pass.

Ryan Gauld looks extremely classy throughout though

Players miss chances, it happens. Facts are that he's scored 25 in 53 for red bull and 7 in 10 this season. Without those goals red bull would struggle. 

Most strikers would be happy with those stats. One thing we usually lack is goalscorers and Morgan is scoring goals.

He's worth a shout considering the alternative options are off form Turnbull who's career has stagnated or James Forrest who has always been brutal in a Scotland shirt barring 2 or 3 games.

Not really sure what the alternatives are now that it's looking likely mctominay is out. Who would you choose bearing in mind there needs to be 3 replacements plus an extra 1 or 2 guys who could potentially get picked purely based on the squads being 26?

6 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Gauld did well in the Portuguese top flight before he left for Vancouver. He also proved himself in the spl when he was with Dundee united. 

Johnny Russells stats are pretty consistent across the MLS, English championship and spl. He was a decent player at that level but obviously not quite good enough for the top leagues. His career didn't suddenly take off once he went to the MLS. Dunno why you think it did. He got a few chances in Scotland squads but we didn't quite have the strength in depth at that time. If he was still performing well in the MLS and was 4 or 5 years younger he would be getting considered for the squad given how bad the injury situation is.

If you don't think gauld or Morgan should be considered then who do you think should be?

Gauld came within a whisper of being in the Portuguese league's team of the season... in a relegated team.

Morgan recently scored a hat trick in a match involving Suarez, Busquets and Alba.

Not really sure what more Clarke wants him to do.

Double hat-trick. A hat trick of assists and inventing cancer all in the same match?

2 minutes ago, GilmourFan said:

Gauld came within a whisper of being in the Portuguese league's team of the season... in a relegated team.

Morgan recently scored a hat trick in a match involving Suarez, Busquets and Alba.

Not really sure what more Clarke wants him to do.

Double hat-trick. A hat trick of assists and inventing cancer all in the same match?

Inventing cancer! Definite call up

19 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Those yelling for Morgan and Gauld to be selected are overlooking a few pertinent facts me thinks. Their form has only improved when they landed in the MLS which, I think, says more about the league standard than them. The SPL takes a lot of flak but look at their last stints in the SPL and they never performed any mouth-watering form at all. Why? Surely, ones so talented would have excelled in such a weak league as the SPL but they did not. That tells me much. Johnny Russell was the same a few years back. Hardly ripped up trees in the SPL and in the twilight of his career moved to the MLS and his star rose and it rekindled his Scotland career. That is why I would say that Morgan and Gauld are by no means must picks for the Euros especially at such a late stage with the Euros just two months off and both playing in areas where our squad has not been decimated by injuries or injury worries. 

The standard of the defending is brutal. I'd stick my mortgage on Gauld getting nowhere near the goals over here that he gets currently.

12 hours ago, GilmourFan said:

Three players who are in the twilight of their career and over for a holiday with the average age of 36.

If top players start going to the MLS when they are at their peak (or remotely close to it) then naming big names might have more weight. 

5 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

The standard of the defending is brutal. I'd stick my mortgage on Gauld getting nowhere near the goals over here that he gets currently.

And my point remains in why were both not ripping up any trees when they last played in the SPL which often gets slated for its poor standard.

13 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And my point remains in why were both not ripping up any trees when they last played in the SPL which often gets slated for its poor standard.

Didn't Gauld only play 5 games and was injured the rest of the time? 

He was certainly ripping up trees in his first spell in Scotland. 4 assists in 1 game comed to mind.

Anyway, I seriously doubt he'll end up in the Euros squad, but it would be exciting if he was.

12 hours ago, syecosse said:

Liam lindsay was Prestons players player of the year. 

Ethan Erhahon was Lincolns, manager has said he will unlikely be in league 1 next year. 

Like Erhahon, watched a interview of him lately , comes across as a grounded intelligent lad. I'm not sure but think he is a player they can put his foot in also which is possibly something we lack in midfield though until he is established & doing very well at championship level he can't realistically be called up to the senior squad. 

Lindsay plenty on here agree is apparently very poor on the ball so that's probably why Clarke has never called him up. For the central role of the back 3 though he could perhaps do a job so never say never especially now as Hanley & especially Cooper need to be fazed out.

Cooper has been a great servant to club & country but Leeds fans say he legs have gone & when he has played this season they gave conceded quite a few goals. I believe his last appearance, I think away to Watford he was subbed at half time he was that bad .  I really don't want him starting in the summer.

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

He scored 8 in 38 games as an 18 year old in Scotland. He scored 12 last season and 8 the season before so your mortgage wouldn’t be very safe.

Regardless, he’s an attacking midfielder who shouldn’t be judged by the number of goals that he scores.