Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 330 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Scot1 said:

I like Hendry, and I think heโ€™s done enough to keep his place in the starting 11, preferably in the middle of the 3. But Clarke may want to bring Hanley back into the side and move Hendry out to the right? Heโ€™s 28 years old, so just beginning to come into his prime, 28 caps for Scotland so beginning to gather experience. Heโ€™s beginning to show composure and maturity in his game and is very decent on the ball.ย 

Hendry has done very well for Scotland and that's what has got him his move as he's pretty much done nothing at club level bar two decent seasons in Belgium. You have to think his club level will unfortunately sneak into his international game at some point. That's why I'd be inclined to go with younger players who are playing at a similar or better level who have more scope for improvement. Hanley has a lot to prove after being out so long. I'd like to see Hickey tried on the right and Porteus or Mckenna in the middle in a 3. I'll admit there isn't a whole lot to choose between the options at the momentย  so might aswell consider the future.

Marc Leonard 2 assists and 1 of them being for Kieron Bowie in Northamptons win, fans tweeting about how good Leonard is again, a few articles have him linked with Brighton wanting him moved to a Championship side on loan for the second part of the season with many after him.ย 

On 12/28/2023 at 6:34 PM, ProudScot said:

Fabio Silva is a wide forward not a striker. They will buy a striker 100% and Iโ€™ll be itโ€™ll be either Shankland or Miovski. More likely to be a non Scot knowing them!ย 

Fabio Silva isn't a wide forward.ย  He's a striker, albeit a very average one.

14 hours ago, bdgsct said:

Hendry has done very well for Scotland and that's what has got him his move as he's pretty much done nothing at club level bar two decent seasons in Belgium. You have to think his club level will unfortunately sneak into his international game at some point. That's why I'd be inclined to go with younger players who are playing at a similar or better level who have more scope for improvement. Hanley has a lot to prove after being out so long. I'd like to see Hickey tried on the right and Porteus or Mckenna in the middle in a 3. I'll admit there isn't a whole lot to choose between the options at the momentย  so might aswell consider the future.

ย 

The only team that gave Hendry ample playing time in Europe was Ostende and it didn't really work out after that so I agree it must have been based on his Scotland form.

I don't have it in for Hendry but I definitely think he has had a drop off in form. I thought he was poor against England and France and let Morata get away from him too easily against Spain.ย  He has also had great games for us to be fair to him but, on recent form, Porteous is our best defender and seems to have the bravery of Colin Hendry with the ball-playing schools of an Italian defender. I hope he gets an EPL move at some point.ย ย 

ย 

Hanley will be back in if he's fit. That is a big 'if' though. McKenna looked really rusty the last time he played which is unsurprising.

6 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

ย 

The only team that gave Hendry ample playing time in Europe was Ostende and it didn't really work out after that so I agree it must have been based on his Scotland form.

I don't have it in for Hendry but I definitely think he has had a drop off in form. I thought he was poor against England and France and let Morata get away from him too easily against Spain.ย  He has also had great games for us to be fair to him but, on recent form, Porteous is our best defender and seems to have the bravery of Colin Hendry with the ball-playing schools of an Italian defender. I hope he gets an EPL move at some point.ย ย 

ย 

Hanley will be back in if he's fit. That is a big 'if' though. McKenna looked really rusty the last time he played which is unsurprising.

I like Porteous but not sure about the ball playing skill of a Italian defender comment . Never been a big fan of Hendry, got decent pace & technique but he gets out muscled too easily for my liking. I find it hard picking my favoured 3 as the only guaranteed pick is on the left Tierney . If pushed for me it's Porteous on the right & probably Mckenna in the centre but that's not viable just now as he has been frozen out at Forest. I hope before our march friendlies most of our options are playing regularly then Clarke has a tough decision call to make.

ย  ย One player I don't expect to make it is Cooper, I think his time for Scotland could be up as barring injuries he isn't a first pick for Leeds anymore.

14 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

I like Porteous but not sure about the ball playing skill of a Italian defender comment . Never been a big fan of Hendry, got decent pace & technique but he gets out muscled too easily for my liking. I find it hard picking my favoured 3 as the only guaranteed pick is on the left Tierney . If pushed for me it's Porteous on the right & probably Mckenna in the centre but that's not viable just now as he has been frozen out at Forest. I hope before our march friendlies most of our options are playing regularly then Clarke has a tough decision call to make.

ย  ย One player I don't expect to make it is Cooper, I think his time for Scotland could be up as barring injuries he isn't a first pick for Leeds anymore.

Porteous surprised me with how good he's been on the ball for us. Jack Hendry is good on the ball too but jas ร  tendency to get caught out and can lack awareness.

ย 

ย 

21 hours ago, todd said:

๐Ÿ˜‚ indeed, but I did hear a lot of folk griping about Hendry shooting when he did

aye that was one of the most comical moments on here thereโ€™s ever been!!

Marshall on the half way line for no reason & gets lobbed from 50 yards & thereโ€™s knickerwetting here from some about Jack Hendry shooting which was the reason Marshall got completely embarrassed and not his own complete fuck up ๐Ÿ˜‚

On 12/28/2023 at 10:12 PM, bdgsct said:

Interesting to see the contrast between the Clarke and Carver interviews/quotes. Clarke is coy but Carver basically saying we're interested. Not surprising given the minor embarrassment of the Anderson situation which was nobody's fault and probably a good approach.ย 

bdgsct - I agree with what you say hereโ€ฆโ€ฆ

A big contrast between what Carver + Clarke have to say about Newcastles 4 players (H.Barnes E.Anderson T.Livramento A.Gordon)ย 

How I see it, I do think H.Barnes had committed to Scotland for the Qualifiers in Sept/Oct/Nov but his foot/toe injury in August put paid to these games and S.Clarke is remaining tight lipped about the situation and now keeping his cards very close to his chest! And quite rightly so, donโ€™t want Engerland + Southgate stirring it up again. Interestingly, I watched a G.Southgate + K.Trippier interview from back in Sept I think it was and G.Southgate was very diplomatic - spoke about Players being linked to 2 or 3 Countries but was non committal about H.Barnes or E.Anderson. And in a way He and Clarke have to be this way when the press are probing with question after question. They donโ€™t want to give the Players false hope and/or damage the current squad of Players they have at that current time.ย 
Back to H.Barnes, we can only hope he comes back from injury soon and gets called up for our March friendlies, he would 100% add to / improve our attacking options.

As for E.Anderson Iโ€™m not sure weโ€™ll ever know the correct answer for him leaving the Scotland Camp?
With him out injured at Newcastle at the moment (back injury I think) but if he was fully fit and on form it would be tough for him to dislodge a Midfielder from our current squad (McGinn McSauce McGregor Gilmour Christie Armstrong McLean Ferguson) Would he be selected for the 23 man squad - Who knows ??ย 
ย 

Tino Livramento now back on the bench for Newcastle, with Burns back at LB and Trippier at RB. I personally think heโ€™s committed with England and preying for that call up for the Senior Squad but if he goes cold between now and March thereโ€™s a chance Southgate doesnโ€™t call him up and just maybe just maybe we could come in at the 11th hour and turn him. Would he improve our current squad, absolutely!!ย 

Whilst weโ€™re on the subject here, A.Gordon as far as Iโ€™m aware has never hinted or said anything about switching allegiance? Just the press adding fuel to the fire IMO - Will he be called up for Southgateโ€™s next Squads, Iโ€™m thinking Noโ€ฆโ€ฆ.ย 
If R.Sterling doesnโ€™t even make his Squad and J.Grealish sits on the bench for games, I canโ€™t see A.Gordon being called up for Engerland anytime soon! Is he better than what weโ€™ve got, with players in current form? Probably Iโ€™d say but at this moment I donโ€™t think heโ€™s on S.Clarkes radar

All we can hope for from our current squad of players - they are all fit, in form and ready for the Euroโ€™s when they come round!!ย 

21 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

18 goals before the bells for Shankland.ย 

We keep talking about needing to find a striker that can score... Have we found one? He might be just what we need for the Euros.ย 

Yeah but what about his 'hold up play' ๐Ÿฅฑ๐Ÿ™„

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

aye that was one of the most comical moments on here thereโ€™s ever been!!

Marshall on the half way line for no reason & gets lobbed from 50 yards & thereโ€™s knickerwetting here from some about Jack Hendry shooting which was the reason Marshall got completely embarrassed and not his own complete fuck up ๐Ÿ˜‚

Both were at fault but I would probably attribute more blame to marshall. No keeper should be that far off his line in that situation.ย 

Saying that it was a freak goal thatย  had a huge element of luck and great finishing from the striker.

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

18 goals before the bells for Shankland.ย 

We keep talking about needing to find a striker that can score... Have we found one? He might be just what we need for the Euros.ย 

It says 17 on transfermarket. Either way I agree hes earned a proper chance in the team especially after bailing us out against Georgia.ย 

Rangers or Celtic really need to buy him before a championship club comes in. Guys a good goalscorer and probably be perfect for rangers right now.

20 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Both were at fault but I would probably attribute more blame to marshall. No keeper should be that far off his line in that situation.ย 

Saying that it was a freak goal thatย  had a huge element of luck and great finishing from the striker.

The Czechโ€™s had Marshall sussed it wasnโ€™t a fluke, theyโ€™d talked about how far out his box he getsย 

3 hours ago, broraboy said:

bdgsct - I agree with what you say hereโ€ฆโ€ฆ

A big contrast between what Carver + Clarke have to say about Newcastles 4 players (H.Barnes E.Anderson T.Livramento A.Gordon)ย 

How I see it, I do think H.Barnes had committed to Scotland for the Qualifiers in Sept/Oct/Nov but his foot/toe injury in August put paid to these games and S.Clarke is remaining tight lipped about the situation and now keeping his cards very close to his chest! And quite rightly so, donโ€™t want Engerland + Southgate stirring it up again. Interestingly, I watched a G.Southgate + K.Trippier interview from back in Sept I think it was and G.Southgate was very diplomatic - spoke about Players being linked to 2 or 3 Countries but was non committal about H.Barnes or E.Anderson. And in a way He and Clarke have to be this way when the press are probing with question after question. They donโ€™t want to give the Players false hope and/or damage the current squad of Players they have at that current time.ย 
Back to H.Barnes, we can only hope he comes back from injury soon and gets called up for our March friendlies, he would 100% add to / improve our attacking options.

As for E.Anderson Iโ€™m not sure weโ€™ll ever know the correct answer for him leaving the Scotland Camp?
With him out injured at Newcastle at the moment (back injury I think) but if he was fully fit and on form it would be tough for him to dislodge a Midfielder from our current squad (McGinn McSauce McGregor Gilmour Christie Armstrong McLean Ferguson) Would he be selected for the 23 man squad - Who knows ??ย 
ย 

Tino Livramento now back on the bench for Newcastle, with Burns back at LB and Trippier at RB. I personally think heโ€™s committed with England and preying for that call up for the Senior Squad but if he goes cold between now and March thereโ€™s a chance Southgate doesnโ€™t call him up and just maybe just maybe we could come in at the 11th hour and turn him. Would he improve our current squad, absolutely!!ย 

Whilst weโ€™re on the subject here, A.Gordon as far as Iโ€™m aware has never hinted or said anything about switching allegiance? Just the press adding fuel to the fire IMO - Will he be called up for Southgateโ€™s next Squads, Iโ€™m thinking Noโ€ฆโ€ฆ.ย 
If R.Sterling doesnโ€™t even make his Squad and J.Grealish sits on the bench for games, I canโ€™t see A.Gordon being called up for Engerland anytime soon! Is he better than what weโ€™ve got, with players in current form? Probably Iโ€™d say but at this moment I donโ€™t think heโ€™s on S.Clarkes radar

All we can hope for from our current squad of players - they are all fit, in form and ready for the Euroโ€™s when they come round!!ย 

I am also interested who else Carver has hinted at as others as Karlan Grant cannot think of him doing much lately, Binks seems in and out of the Coventry team maybe it's Quansah who would be an exciting prospect or Archie Gray.ย