Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 326 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Clarke needs to give Ferguson a proper chance in the upcoming friendlies. Hes more than earned a chance to prove himself in the team.

Β 

Absolutely he does, been a sensation over there in, arguably, one of the best leagues in Europe πŸ‘

47 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Is Adams place at the Euros under threat? He doesn’t start at all for Southampton and hasn’t scored for us in ages.

I wonder if he doesn't have an injury or some personal problems because his form has gone off a cliff. Dykes looks like he might be going down with QPR and, while he does a job for us, most teams want strikers who actually score. Good luck to him but I'm beginning to think Dykes has massively overachieved in football.Β 

Β 

I still think Clarke doesn't fancy Shankland for some reason as he brought Dykes on against Norway instead of him (though he got a few minutes at the end).

Β 

2 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

I wonder if he doesn't have an injury or some personal problems because his form has gone off a cliff. Dykes looks like he might be going down with QPR and, while he does a job for us, most teams want strikers who actually score. Good luck to him but I'm beginning to think Dykes has massively overachieved in football.Β 

Β 

I still think Clarke doesn't fancy Shankland for some reason as he brought Dykes on against Norway instead of him (though he got a few minutes at the end).

Β 

I’ve been critical of shankland in the past. But even I think he has improved rapidly over the last few weeks.

Pretty sure Β Clarke will feel the same way and be more likely to play him in the futureΒ 

1 hour ago, syecosse said:

Kieron Bowie scored today v Northampton, but fans again talking about how Brightons on loan Scot Marc Leonard is by far the best player in league 1 and should be playing his football a lot higher.Β 

Have read bits and pieces of the same regarding Leonard. Sounds like he’ll be recalled to be re-loaned to a championship team in january, although the thought crossed my mind that Brighton would maybe hold onto him for the month to take a close up look at him since DM has been a problem for them since caicedo left. Could always send him out at the end of the month if he didn’t hack it with the first team.

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

You’d say on current form two players who need to start the next friendly are Ferguson and Shankland

Shankland 100%. Unless Jacob Brown starts scoring in the EPL, I think Clarke will have his hand forced. Whether he likes it or not.

Ferguson, however, is up against 2 players in the form of their lives: McGinn and McTominay. Even if he was played deeper, that would still be trying to oust Gilmour, who is realising his potential. Or McGregor, who has been consistently great for over 2 years now.Β 

I'm certainly not against him getting a start to try him out. The aforementioned won't always be fit at the same time.

6 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Shankland 100%. Unless Jacob Brown starts scoring in the EPL, I think Clarke will have his hand forced. Whether he likes it or not.

Ferguson, however, is up against 2 players in the form of their lives: McGinn and McTominay. Even if he was played deeper, that would still be trying to oust Gilmour, who is realising his potential. Or McGregor, who has been consistently great for over 2 years now.Β 

I'm certainly not against him getting a start to try him out. The aforementioned won't always be fit at the same time.

The good news is that McGinn, McTominay, Gilmour, Christie and Ferguson all seem to be hitting really top form at the moment.Β 

2 minutes ago, BookhouseBoys said:

The good news is that McGinn, McTominay, Gilmour, Christie and Ferguson all seem to be hitting really top form at the moment.Β 

Of course, I momentarily forgot about Christie, who is getting rave reviews in centre mid. Armstrong is apparently doing well for Southampton lately, albeit at championship level.

We have such a versatile squad with players that can play multiple positions. Kenny McLean becoming a centre back was certainly a shock. That might influence how many centre backs Clarke decides to take to the Euros.

11 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Of course, I momentarily forgot about Christie, who is getting rave reviews in centre mid. Armstrong is apparently doing well for Southampton lately, albeit at championship level.

We have such a versatile squad with players that can play multiple positions. Kenny McLean becoming a centre back was certainly a shock. That might influence how many centre backs Clarke decides to take to the Euros.

Totally agree and wasn’t having a dig. It’s just nice to see so many players at that level and in top form when for years it was β€œhe isnae playin”, β€œ neither’s he” etc Long may it continue…

8 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I’ve been critical of shankland in the past. But even I think he has improved rapidly over the last few weeks.

Pretty sure Β Clarke will feel the same way and be more likely to play him in the futureΒ 

I suppose the only caveat is that he's scoring in Scotland and maybe needs to show he can do it at a higher level. I'm beginning to think he could do a job for a bottom-half EPL team. I just hope he doesn't go to Saudi Arabia though I wouldn't blame him for taking the money.

I agree that Fergson is going really well but Serie A is not as good a level as the EPL and I don't think he deserved to take the place of any of our midfielders. Even McTominay, in a poor Utd team, has still managed to get a few goals and that's not even considering his international form.Β  He's a great option to have on the bench.

42 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

I agree that Fergson is going really well but Serie A is not as good a level as the EPL and I don't think he deserved to take the place of any of our midfielders. Even McTominay, in a poor Utd team, has still managed to get a few goals and that's not even considering his international form.Β  He's a great option to have on the bench.

I concur that English Premiership is superior than Serie A and McGinn Gilmour McTominay all playing against a higher level of player / team…… 

You can also then say Serie A is superior than the Scottish Premier League and L.Ferguson is playing against better players + teams than C.McGregor, I’m not saying he’s a better player than McGregor or any of the fore-mentioned Scottish MidfieldersΒ 

I mean it’s a dilemma that we don’t often have in Midfield, I just wish we had this dilemma with our current strikers / forwards / attack minded players. But S.Clarke will have interesting thoughts and conundrums around who he fits into his Midfield from B.Gilmour J.McGinn S.McTominay C.McGregor L.Ferguson S.Armstrong R.Christie K.McLeanΒ 

If A.Robertson + K.Tierney are fully fit and firing then I can see S.Clarke starting with the 5-4-1 formation and picking 4 midfield player’s from above will be a headache!!Β 
Does B.Gilmour take C.McGregors place in the team and McGregor takes the bench?Β 

If it were me, at the moment I’d go with and like to see Β - McGinn Gilmour Ferguson McTominay but would that work? And how/what shape would they occupy if going with L.Dykes up front

19 minutes ago, broraboy said:

I concur that English Premiership is superior than Serie A and McGinn Gilmour McTominay all playing against a higher level of player / team…… 

You can also then say Serie A is superior than the Scottish Premier League and L.Ferguson is playing against better players + teams than C.McGregor, I’m not saying he’s a better player than McGregor or any of the fore-mentioned Scottish MidfieldersΒ 

I mean it’s a dilemma that we don’t often have in Midfield, I just wish we had this dilemma with our current strikers / forwards / attack minded players. But S.Clarke will have interesting thoughts and conundrums around who he fits into his Midfield from B.Gilmour J.McGinn S.McTominay C.McGregor L.Ferguson S.Armstrong R.Christie K.McLeanΒ 

If A.Robertson + K.Tierney are fully fit and firing then I can see S.Clarke starting with the 5-4-1 formation and picking 4 midfield player’s from above will be a headache!!Β 
Does B.Gilmour take C.McGregors place in the team and McGregor takes the bench?Β 

If it were me, at the moment I’d go with and like to see Β - McGinn Gilmour Ferguson McTominay but would that work? And how/what shape would they occupy if going with L.Dykes up front

I suppose it's because Callum McGregor has really delivered for Scotland and wouldn't look out of place in the EPL. I always thought Gilmour and McGregor would be paired together but Clarke doesn't seem to agree and now it appears to be one or the other.Β  It's difficult, for me, to make a case for McGregor over Gilmour in that case.Β  I don't think Christie makes it into the midfield if everyone is available.

The problem is that we really lack a defensive midfielder to play next to Gilmour. Could that be Ferguson (even though he plays further up for Bologna)?Β Β