Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 189 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

1 hour ago, theabsentee said:

We will leave the shooting to the Ukrainians 🇺🇦😉 but surely we can do better than him. He is a journeyman & from what i recall not the biggest. 

I'm pleased Clarke is keen on the grandparent route, especially when he finds a gem such as Adams & "we all know the goalie position is going to be up for grabs within a couple of seasons so let's hope we get lucky without having to ask Angus Gunn again! 

Hate to say it but Gunn is probably our best option by some way.

Didn't think he was only 26,only one day older than Liam Kelly. He has over 30 EPL appearances and over 60 Championship ones so he can't be that bad.

Of course there is the problem that he thinks he's English.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

https://youtu.be/_M41lY5jegM

Mikey johnston scores 2 belters in the Portuguese cup. I know hes lost his way with celtic but if he can do well in portugal then maybe his career could start to take off again. First goal is amazing although its a third division team tbf. 

Theres a player in there just needs a run of games at a decent level to see what he can do and get his confidence back 

Were the crowd shouting braveheart after his first goal???

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Hate to say it but Gunn is probably our best option by some way.

Didn't think he was only 26,only one day older than Liam Kelly. He has over 30 EPL appearances and over 60 Championship ones so he can't be that bad.

Of course there is the problem that he thinks he's English.

As much as i hate buying in players who have very distant if any links to Scotland with questionable reasons for playing for us i do think its worth investigating for the goalie position. After Gordon hangs his gloves up we have no real quality for such an important position 

Problem with Gunn is for the last 5 seasons (if you include this one) he hasnt been first choice and played a limited amount of games so i dont know if he is the answer seems happy to sit on the bench 

A guy who works with me his brother is a youth goalie at Middlesbrough and the SFA were in contact with him asking if he had any Scottish links so they are out there searching just if nothing is there nothing is there 

13 minutes ago, borojock said:

As much as i hate buying in players who have very distant if any links to Scotland with questionable reasons for playing for us i do think its worth investigating for the goalie position. After Gordon hangs his gloves up we have no real quality for such an important position 

Problem with Gunn is for the last 5 seasons (if you include this one) he hasnt been first choice and played a limited amount of games so i dont know if he is the answer seems happy to sit on the bench 

A guy who works with me his brother is a youth goalie at Middlesbrough and the SFA were in contact with him asking if he had any Scottish links so they are out there searching just if nothing is there nothing is there 

Was there not a keeper called up in the youth teams from Middlesbrough Metcalfe? 

Short term is not looking good but we actually have a lot of young keepers who have moved down south or on the books of Prem./ Champ sides just need some to kick on. These are the ones I can think of that hopefully will kick on.

Slicker Man city 

Kinnear West Ham

Hogarth( nottm forest) brother at Rangers. 

Angelini Watford

Mair and Mccracken at Norwich 

Helmsley??? Rotherham

Long Lincoln 

Mccracken is on loan at Bohemians in the top Irish league and Long on loan at Boston utd, both are playing I think. 

6 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Are there any Scottish goalies playing in the Scottish Championship that we could look at as back-ups ? That's desperate, I freely admit, but it's not all that inconceivable that one or even two goalies from the Scottish Championship could get called up next year if Gordon and/or Kelly get injured.

Ross Doohan is playing regularly for Tranmere, but it is in English League Two.

Don't know of any in the Scottish championship but you've got the Hogarth brothers playing at Falkirk & Alloa on loan from Nottm F & Rangers. Though nobody knows if one of them will play at the top level. 

Just checked who Wales 3rd choice keeper is, the guy plays for Salford in league 2, if Jackson was above average surely he would be on his way to Qatar very soon. 

For now it has to be Gunn unfortunately, he can feel as English as he wants but unless he has incredible self belief in himself then he must realise if he wants to play internationally realistically it'll have to be with us.

We don't need him yet but I'm sure he is aware that Craig Gordon can't go on forever so he might be being smart by keeping his dream of a 3 lions shirt alive until the time the next Scotland approach comes. 

12 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thisisanfield.com/2022/10/liverpool-u21s-come-from-behind-to-win-mini-derby-with-doak-winner/amp/

Doak scores winner for u21s against everton. Encouraging to see that doak has goals in him as we need players who can score. He might be a winger/forward similar to guys like sterling and mane who contribute lots of goals to their teams.

He seems to be making a serious impression, at this rate don't think it's a ridiculous thought that he might be ready for a first team debut by FA cup 3rd round time in January. 

1 hour ago, theabsentee said:

He seems to be making a serious impression, at this rate don't think it's a ridiculous thought that he might be ready for a first team debut by FA cup 3rd round time in January. 

Yeh maybe. A few apps in cup games this season then next season out on loan somewhere. Personally i would like to see him go out on loan in january. A championship or league1 side that will guarantee him games would be good for his development.

9 hours ago, theabsentee said:

I think I read the other week that Dire Mebude actually has a better goal/assist ratio this season than Doak but it is not a bad dilemma to have for us if they both progress like they are. 

7 hours ago, syecosse said:

I think I read the other week that Dire Mebude actually has a better goal/assist ratio this season than Doak but it is not a bad dilemma to have for us if they both progress like they are. 

Mebude is in Europa youth league action on BT sports 1 i think.

Was looking for the Celtic game earlier but couldn't find it so choose the less lazy option,a trip to the gym! 

31 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Mebude is in Europa youth league action on BT sports 1 i think.

Was looking for the Celtic game earlier but couldn't find it so choose the less lazy option,a trip to the gym! 

His stats last season and this season are very impressive. Last season he had 14 goals and 19 assists in 30 games. Obviously hes got some serious potential.

Edited by mccaughey85

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

His stats last season and this season are very impressive. Last season he had 14 goals and 19 assists in 30 games. Obviously hes got some serious potential.

I saw most of the 2nd half, Mebude played wide right, he looks a unit who has a great touch, close control & plenty skill.  Skipped past 3 players in the first half to score his goal.

The commentary said there's 'no doubt he is player' from what i saw i would agree. 

5 hours ago, theabsentee said:

I saw most of the 2nd half, Mebude played wide right, he looks a unit who has a great touch, close control & plenty skill.  Skipped past 3 players in the first half to score his goal.

The commentary said there's 'no doubt he is player' from what i saw i would agree. 

He seems to have gone up a level at City. He was rated at Rangers but not at the same level as Lowry, King, etc. Obviously made the right choice to leave and unlike his brother Dapo, Dire seems to have the right attitude. Hopefully keeps developing and we could have some pace on the wings. 

Dire was was wanted by Spurs, Brugge and PSV in the summer, so he seems we'll rated. PSV at the minute are wonderkid central and are constantly signing top rated young players.

5 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Sounds like a young Ollie Burke