Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 186 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/13/2022 at 10:45 PM, GHfaeGTA said:

Indeed. Mark Fotheri gham and Jack Aitchison played for Celtic at 16 (Aitchison scored) but what happened to them? Plenty others too. He does look good but let’s see him in a first team before getting too excited 

Fotheringham had decent career tbf, bit unlucky with injuries but played in the Bundesliga and for Norwich and Fulham

On 10/16/2022 at 7:41 PM, ProudScot said:

Hope so. He was good today 

He had a big test aswell. Van Veen is a very tough ST to deal with. Bit of pace, strength, height and a lot of skill.

I thought Van Veen gave him a bit of a hard time but King grew well into the game and had a decent game. I was surprised how good in the air King was. He did leap and strength training outwith the club before pre season began. It seems to have massive worked, he has came on leaps and bounds physically since the summer. It also shows how much he his working towards himself and the future.

There are quite a few games before the World Cup break. So he should get a lot of first team games with Goldson and Souttar out until atleast the end of the World Cup.

Sands is there but it seems King has shot passed him.

The central defensive areas we have a lot of options there just now in the form of Tierney, Hendry, McKenna, Cooper, Souttar, Porteous, Hanley and King. I'd like to see us have more options up front than we have and obviously in the goalkeeping department we are woefully short.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

The central defensive areas we have a lot of options there just now in the form of Hendry, McKenna, Cooper, Souttar, Porteous, Hanley and King. I'd like to see us have more options up front than we have.

And let's not forget Hyam and McIntyre.

7 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

He had a big test aswell. Van Veen is a very tough ST to deal with. Bit of pace, strength, height and a lot of skill.

I thought Van Veen gave him a bit of a hard time but King grew well into the game and had a decent game. I was surprised how good in the air King was. He did leap and strength training outwith the club before pre season began. It seems to have massive worked, he has came on leaps and bounds physically since the summer. It also shows how much he his working towards himself and the future.

There are quite a few games before the World Cup break. So he should get a lot of first team games with Goldson and Souttar out until atleast the end of the World Cup.

Sands is there but it seems King has shot passed him.

King needs game time and more specifically needs game time against good forwards.

My fear for him is that he appears to be switched on for the type of movement players in Scotland make however he was consistently a yard off the pace both times against Liverpool. Not lacking in actuall speed. More just not yet tuned into the subtle movement of top players. One of Liverpools goals at Ibrox (think it was Firmino) is an example of what I mean. Forward and King running towards the goal, King looks a couple of times and is satisfied that he has the man but then the forward just makes a subtle move away from him and that allows Gomez the space to slip the ball into. King then is just too far away to defend. That wouldnt happen in Scotland for many reasons.

My fear isnt so much that King cant learn as he is very young and clearly talented. Its more that you only learn when exposed to something and he wont get exposed to it in Scotland regardless if gametime. And you get to a certain age when its very difficult to learn fundamentals.

7 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

King needs game time and more specifically needs game time against good forwards.

My fear for him is that he appears to be switched on for the type of movement players in Scotland make however he was consistently a yard off the pace both times against Liverpool. Not lacking in actuall speed. More just not yet tuned into the subtle movement of top players. One of Liverpools goals at Ibrox (think it was Firmino) is an example of what I mean. Forward and King running towards the goal, King looks a couple of times and is satisfied that he has the man but then the forward just makes a subtle move away from him and that allows Gomez the space to slip the ball into. King then is just too far away to defend. That wouldnt happen in Scotland for many reasons.

My fear isnt so much that King cant learn as he is very young and clearly talented. Its more that you only learn when exposed to something and he wont get exposed to it in Scotland regardless if gametime. And you get to a certain age when its very difficult to learn fundamentals.

A very valid point.

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

He’s only 18 FFS. Any playing experience is valuable, and he’s very likely to start in another 3 Champions League games in the next few weeks.

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

He has to prove himself against average spl forwards first before an epl team will take a chance on him and even then they probably wont place him straight into the first team. 

Playing an 18 year old untested centre back against liverpool is madness from rangers and just shows how short of decent centre backs they are right now. A couple of seasons playing for rangers in the spl would do king the world of good before making the step up to epl level if hes good enough.

Edited by mccaughey85

5 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

He’s only 18 FFS. Any playing experience is valuable, and he’s very likely to start in another 3 Champions League games in the next few weeks.

Yeh any kind of experience is vital at this stage even if its against average spl strikers. Very few 18 year old centre backs are ready for liverpool or even the epl in general. I really hope king stays at rangers as i think 2/3 seasons of chasing titles and playing in europe will develop him before moving down south which will happen eventually anyways.

I think the point is that, right now, King cannot be pitched in for Scotland. He is not yet ready to be pitted against international class strikers (as was seen V Liverpool). He needs experience and he will get that now for Rangers in the short-term. Hopefully, he does so well that he becomes a long-term fixture in the side and as mccaughey85 says gets a move to the EPL for his next phase of learning and blossoming into an international centre-back.

48 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Totally agree. Just putting over my concerns about King fulfilling the undoubted potential that he has.

Whilst any game time is valuable. The value is lessened if the level isnt very high. There is still value though and he will learn the physical side of defending and the pressures of playing for a side who are expected to win every week.

It wont happen but I think a move to Italy in a couple of seasons would be amazing for him but doubt it would happen as Rangers will want top dollar which they will probably get from England but not Italy.

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I think the point is that, right now, King cannot be pitched in for Scotland. He is not yet ready to be pitted against international class strikers (as was seen V Liverpool). He needs experience and he will get that now for Rangers in the short-term. Hopefully, he does so well that he becomes a long-term fixture in the side and as mccaughey85 says gets a move to the EPL for his next phase of learning and blossoming into an international centre-back.

Do you think Ryan Porteous would have fared better against Liverpool!?

I don’t think the result was anything to do with King. He’s played very well and considering his age is a fantastic prospect.

Id have no qualms about him being included in the Turkey squad & would like to see some others like Ryan Gauld, Lewis Morgan etc in there too. 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

I don’t think the result was anything to do with King. He’s played very well and considering his age is a fantastic prospect.

Id have no qualms about him being included in the Turkey squad & would like to see some others like Ryan Gauld, Lewis Morgan etc in there too. 

Bigger squad and if not who do you leave out? 

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Bigger squad and if not who do you leave out? 

I would imagine some of the regulars would be left out for this one regardless.

Id happily see all the foreign based players who are playing regularly included. Liam Henderson too. 

Don’t see a great deal of point in calling up the likes of Kenny McLean for this friendly. 

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Porteous did a very good job away to Ukraine who have an international class striker in their side. As for Gauld he has given up on any future call ups if newspaper reports can be believed. I would sooner see a new look squad with the likes of Gauld, Morgan and King in it V Turkey but I won't hold my breath. 

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

I would imagine some of the regulars would be left out for this one regardless.

Id happily see all the foreign based players who are playing regularly included. Liam Henderson too. 

Don’t see a great deal of point in calling up the likes of Kenny McLean for this friendly. 

Get your point regarding some of the more experienced squad members that aren't starters just wish Clarke would take a bigger squad. Surely no limit for a friendly.

Doubt that Henderson will get called up, looks like a mediocre player in a mediocre team according to the stats sites at least.

Had a look at Serie A and Sergej Milinkovic-Savic is currently the best player there. Bit of a worry that the second best player is Khvicha Kvaratskhelia a 21 year old Georgian at Napoli.

According to the site he is currently the 8th best player in the Champions League!

33 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Get your point regarding some of the more experienced squad members that aren't starters just wish Clarke would take a bigger squad. Surely no limit for a friendly.

Doubt that Henderson will get called up, looks like a mediocre player in a mediocre team according to the stats sites at least.

Had a look at Serie A and Sergej Milinkovic-Savic is currently the best player there. Bit of a worry that the second best player is Khvicha Kvaratskhelia a 21 year old Georgian at Napoli.

According to the site he is currently the 8th best player in the Champions League!

Seen a few clips of that Georgian lad, really exciting player, no doubt he will hurt either us or Norway during the qualification. 

Mckenna excellent in Nottm forest away draw at Brighton.

Hyam named captain for Blackburn as they went top of the Championship. 

Liverpool U21s where losing 3-0 to Accrington first team in the PFL cup then on the 70th minute Ramsey and Doak came on 1 goal for Ramsey and a goal and assist for Doak to finish 3-2.

On 10/17/2022 at 4:23 PM, ghorne67 said:

Fotheringham had decent career tbf, bit unlucky with injuries but played in the Bundesliga and for Norwich and Fulham

Decent? Long career certainly but got nowhere near to the level expected when he was Doak’s age now. Bit of a journeyman. He only played in Bundesliga 2 and think highest level in England was championship. 

4 hours ago, syecosse said:

Mckenna excellent in Nottm forest away draw at Brighton.

Hyam named captain for Blackburn as they went top of the Championship. 

Liverpool U21s where losing 3-0 to Accrington first team in the PFL cup then on the 70th minute Ramsey and Doak came on 1 goal for Ramsey and a goal and assist for Doak to finish 3-2.

Hyam needs to be called up. If he doesnt make it as a first pick with us then we always need back up guys who can do a job and he is probably capable of doing that.

On 10/15/2022 at 12:53 AM, ger intae them said:

I don’t think Brighton are honking…,., but on the back of two defeats the new guy will have to change it. Gilmour looks fit as a butchers dug so I think he’ll be playing soon.

I'm worried for Gilmour. I have a niggling feeling that the previous manager, Graham Potter, brought in Billy Gilmour as a replacement for the midfielder Caicedo who was rumoured to be sold during the summer. That didn't happened and instead it was Potter who left for greener pastures. And so far the new Brighton manager, De Zerbi, seems to be sticking with Caicedo. It's not looking good. I hope I'm wrong.

35 minutes ago, mcguffin said:

I'm worried for Gilmour. I have a niggling feeling that the previous manager, Graham Potter, brought in Billy Gilmour as a replacement for the midfielder Caicedo who was rumoured to be sold during the summer. That didn't happened and instead it was Potter who left for greener pastures. And so far the new Brighton manager, De Zerbi, seems to be sticking with Caicedo. It's not looking good. I hope I'm wrong.

Ppl might hate this suggestion but a loan back to rangers or even celtic in january would be great imo. Chance for him to play football and then next season brighton can either give him a proper chance or sell to a club willing to play him. Maybe even a loan to europe in january might be good. I think gilmour would suit spanish or Portuguese football better than epl anyways.