Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 179 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Patterson excellent today.

Shankland scores his 6th goal of the season too. 

Patterson settling in nicely. He’s going to be a quality player. 

2 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

According to Fotmob, Hickey was Brentford's best player, 7.4

Best player according to who.scored as well.

From the same site, an assist and MoM for Gauld in the MLS this morning.

Also according to who.scored Ralston the only player for Celtic that played any sort of game. Not 100% sure how the ratings work but they seem very biased regarding Ralston abilities, main reason I want to see him move on.

Paterson was excellent again, problem is if maintains this level and continues to improve he might end up on the bench at a bigger club.

2 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Best player according to who.scored as well.

From the same site, an assist and MoM for Gauld in the MLS this morning.

Also according to who.scored Ralston the only player for Celtic that played any sort of game. Not 100% sure how the ratings work but they seem very biased regarding Ralston abilities, main reason I want to see him move on.

Paterson was excellent again, problem is if maintains this level and continues to improve he might end up on the bench at a bigger club.

If/when Patterson moves to a bigger club, he won’t be sitting on the bench. Everton are a decent team, a bit lightweight up front at the moment with Dominic Calvin Lewis just returning from injury and them selling Richarlson to Spurs. But the squad is getting stronger with every transfer window since Lampard has taken over. Can see them being mid table this season then pushing on next season. They have their new stadium under construction, could be the beginning of a good time for Everton. 

50 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Anyone watch the Celtic match today or how Turnbull, Ralston and Welsh have been this season, Twitter is not a good place for them at the moment. Nothing positive at all from the Celtic fans. 

Stevie Clark watched them.  👍

That's good enough for me

2 hours ago, syecosse said:

Anyone watch the Celtic match today or how Turnbull, Ralston and Welsh have been this season, Twitter is not a good place for them at the moment. Nothing positive at all from the Celtic fans. 

Standard operating procedure for the Old Firm whenever they lose a game they were expecting to win - blame the young Scots players. In Turnbull's case he has the additional burden of being signed from a diddy club.

9 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Standard operating procedure for the Old Firm whenever they lose a game they were expecting to win - blame the young Scots players. In Turnbull's case he has the additional burden of being signed from a diddy club.

Twenty years ago players like Neil McCann and Jackie McNamara used to be the first to be blamed if either of the Old Firm lost a game. Today they are spoken of as club legends.

You really cannot win with some Old Firm fans.

25 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

You must be a Wee Free. 

Only on a Sunday, atheist like the rest of them during the week.

I'm not saying that Paterson moving to a "big" team and being prepared for full time football there is a bad thing for his career, just a bad thing for those of us that would prefer to watch him.

Mind you it did appear at first that Everton signed him to replace Coleman eventually and it has happened ,but remember he had to wait 6 months to break through. It would be the same if he joined the more elite clubs but would take far longer.

The good thing about Patterson and Gilmour too, is the fact that the national team has played a big part in their career already. They we’re getting games for Scotland even though they weren’t getting much game time for their clubs. Hopefully that will have strengthened the loyalty they have for the national team and regardless of who they end up playing for they will always want to show up and play for Scotland. 

Edited by Scot1

16 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He's only played a handful of games for Everton. Bit premature to be talking about him getting sold then warming the bench somewhere. 

17 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Craig Gordon looks like he's carrying an injury now as the Hearts vs. Motherwell game draws to an end.

One of my big frustrations with the Poland & Austria friendlies was that we didn’t try any of the backup keepers. Now we might have to throw in McLaughlin (who’s in abysmal form) or Kelly (uncapped) in a must win game

39 minutes ago, csinclair said:

One of my big frustrations with the Poland & Austria friendlies was that we didn’t try any of the backup keepers. Now we might have to throw in McLaughlin (who’s in abysmal form) or Kelly (uncapped) in a must win game

McLaughlin may be injured too. Fecking hell !

3 hours ago, csinclair said:

Baffling decision by Clarke. 

6 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Baffling decision by Clarke. 

He never tried a change of formation either in any of those friendlies but we switched to a 4/3/3 in both the Ukraine and Ireland game.

2 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

He never tried a change of formation either in any of those friendlies but we switched to a 4/3/3 in both the Ukraine and Ireland game.

Aye, and we actually looked okay (or in the Ireland game, marginally less pathetic).

5 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Aye, and we actually looked okay (or in the Ireland game, marginally less pathetic).

It’ll be interesting to see what Clarke does in the upcoming games. But if he sticks with the same 3/4/2/1 I’m not too confident about getting much from the Ukraine games.

2 hours ago, Scot1 said:

It’ll be interesting to see what Clarke does in the upcoming games. But if he sticks with the same 3/4/2/1 I’m not too confident about getting much from the Ukraine games.

I don't think it works nearly as effectively without Tierney, who obviously wasn't available the last time we played Ukraine. You could tell they'd done their homework on us.

Against Ireland he switched to a 4-4-2 diamond late on which stopped the rot and even resulted in us actually creating a couple of chances. Well, a chance. I've done my best to erase that game from my memory!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2022 at 10:33 AM, csinclair said:

Do you really think McLaughlin would suddenly turn into a better keeper if he had played against Poland or Austria in a friendly? The guy has played in the Champions League which is far better perpetration for an important international than a bounce game against Poland or Austria. 

Friendlies can be important to see how players can fit into a system or see how they play with players they don’t normally play with. This doesn’t really apply to goalkeepers. Not as much anyway. 

In any case I really hope someone else comes along before Gordon retires as the thought of McLaughin paying for Scotland doesn’t fill me with confidence. Kelly either for that matter. 

29 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Do you really think McLaughlin would suddenly turn into a better keeper if he had played against Poland or Austria in a friendly? The guy has played in the Champions League which is far better perpetration for an important international than a bounce game against Poland or Austria. 

Friendlies can be important to see how players can fit into a system or see how they play with players they don’t normally play with. This doesn’t really apply to goalkeepers. Not as much anyway. 

In any case I really hope someone else comes along before Gordon retires as the thought of McLaughin paying for Scotland doesn’t fill me with confidence. Kelly either for that matter. 

I really hope Clarke is bending McRorie's ear when he's in the camp and telling him to get out of Rangers in January. He can't have a whole career sitting and hoping someone retires. McLaughlin has done that and he has wasted many years. I would probably argue he is a worse keeper than when Rangers signed him due to inactivity.