Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 101 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack was absolutely immense against one of Europe’s top sides getting a MOM performance. Some serious tough calls for Clarke for this squad that’s for sure. Jack obviously will be in the squad and based on tonight It’s going to be very hard to leave him out of the starting team. 

31 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

based on tonight’s performance he would be straight in the team.  A lot depends on where Clarke is going to play Mctominay, but I would pick a midfield 3 of jack, Mctominay and Mcginn.

No Gilmour?

28 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

hmmm. I know, difficult to leave out.  Play gilmour and only one up top.  I don’t ‘know tough call.

For me Gilmour and McGinn are must picks. Gilmour is a step above anything we have in terms of keeping the ball ticking over, making himself available etc. He really does set the temp for us which at such a young age is amazing. 

Clarke has some tough decisions to make regarding the midfield. Personally I would stick with gilmour mcgregor mcginn but maybe a midfield diamond of 

Jack

Gilmour         mcgregor 

Mcginn

might be worth a try in the future. Then theres mctominay as well who is playing every week for man utd. Our midfield strength in depth is strong and guys like Ferguson and McLean are going to have a tough time getting in the squad. 

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Clarke has some tough decisions to make regarding the midfield. Personally I would stick with gilmour mcgregor mcginn but maybe a midfield diamond of 

Jack

Gilmour         mcgregor 

Mcginn

might be worth a try in the future. Then theres mctominay as well who is playing every week for man utd. Our midfield strength in depth is strong and guys like Ferguson and McLean are going to have a tough time getting in the squad. 

I was thinking that too but with Turnbull injured there’s that place up for grabs. Maybe for a slightly more attacking midfielder. 

10 hours ago, Malcolm said:

based on tonight’s performance he would be straight in the team.  A lot depends on where Clarke is going to play Mctominay, but I would pick a midfield 3 of jack, Mctominay and Mcginn.

I cannot see Gilmour not playing, he is integral in how we play. 

I think he'll stick with McGinn, McGregor and Gilmour and quite rightly. 

8 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I cannot see Gilmour not playing, he is integral in how we play. 

I think he'll stick with McGinn, McGregor and Gilmour and quite rightly. 

He almost certainly will. In fact, the only chance that will change is if he decides to play McTominay in midfield, not Jack.

I'm sure Jack was great last night, but no way is Clarke going to change his starting 11 after, what, 2 and a half games back from a long injury? Clarke has proven he doesn't call people up on knee jerk reactions, without there being an injury crisis. (See Hickey, Gauld, Ralston, Turnbull etc) 

Saying all that, I have no doubt Jack will be reinstated into the squad. Which I'm more than happy with. 

11 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Jack was absolutely immense against one of Europe’s top sides getting a MOM performance. Some serious tough calls for Clarke for this squad that’s for sure. Jack obviously will be in the squad and based on tonight It’s going to be very hard to leave him out of the starting team. 

Dortmund aren't one of Europe's top sides but Jack is a tremendous player, as most Aberdeen fans were saying years ago, so he's well worth a place in the Scotland squad.

He won't start though, it'll be McGregor, Gilmour and McGinn as the strength of those three as a unit outweighs anything one individual will bring.

46 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

Dortmund aren't one of Europe's top sides but Jack is a tremendous player, as most Aberdeen fans were saying years ago, so he's well worth a place in the Scotland squad.

He won't start though, it'll be McGregor, Gilmour and McGinn as the strength of those three as a unit outweighs anything one individual will bring.

Dortmund are one of Europe’s top sides. 

It’s a shame Aberdeen fans booed Jack at Pittodrie vs Holland if they think he’s such a tremendous player. 

13 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Dortmund are one of Europe’s top sides. 

It’s a shame Aberdeen fans booed Jack at Pittodrie vs Holland if they think he’s such a tremendous player. 

Tremendous players can still be Judas bastards, players rarely get booed because of lack of ability. It was clear when he was a teenager that Jack had excellent talent and temperament, who knows if he'd have got even better going down south rather than staying in Scotland.

The German league is weak after Bayern and if Dortmund were that good they wouldn't have got papped out of the Champions League by Ajax and Sporting.

12 hours ago, wee-toon-red said:

Is this a serious statement?

11 hours ago, wee-toon-red said:

Tremendous players can still be Judas bastards, players rarely get booed because of lack of ability. It was clear when he was a teenager that Jack had excellent talent and temperament, who knows if he'd have got even better going down south rather than staying in Scotland.

The German league is weak after Bayern and if Dortmund were that good they wouldn't have got papped out of the Champions League by Ajax and Sporting.

Put the Aberdeen hatred of Rangers aside for a moment and you’ll see Rangers just hammered one of Europe’s top sides on their home turf & it’s one of the best performances and results in Europe by a Scottish club. Hats off to them. And Jack was the best player on the park. 

Good to see Jack back fit and playing well. With the strength we are now building within the squad and in midfield  (depending on injuries), I think that we should seriously consider switching to a back 4 in certain games. This would allow us another midfielder on the pitch. So for example a 4-1-3-2 could have a midfield consisting of

McGregor  Gilmour  McTominay

Jack

With McGinn pushed up higher playing off Dykes or Adams

This does reintroduce the Robertson/Tierney conundrum if playing a back 4. The only real solution would be to move Tierney into the left-sided Centre Half position beside Hanley/Hendry

11 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Put the Aberdeen hatred of Rangers aside for a moment and you’ll see Rangers just hammered one of Europe’s top sides on their home turf & it’s one of the best performances and results in Europe by a Scottish club. Hats off to them. And Jack was the best player on the park. 

Exactly. Credit where it's due. Regardless of what you think of Rangers, there is no denying it was a tremendous result. A massive bonus that there was a Scot at the heart of it all.

I've seen some people claiming it's the best result for a Scottish team in the modern era. Which is just hyperbolic. Top 10, maybe. 

3 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Exactly. Credit where it's due. Regardless of what you think of Rangers, there is no denying it was a tremendous result. A massive bonus that there was a Scot at the heart of it all.

I've seen some people claiming it's the best result for a Scottish team in the modern era. Which is just hyperbolic. Top 10, maybe. 

Can you really name many more? Both sides have had some pretty big scalps in recent times but nothing like going to the second best team in Germany and recording a comfortable win.

I'd say the biggest result in modern times is Celtic beating Barca (in their prime) at home 2-1, after that I'd say it's this result.

1 hour ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Can you really name many more? Both sides have had some pretty big scalps in recent times but nothing like going to the second best team in Germany and recording a comfortable win.

I'd say the biggest result in modern times is Celtic beating Barca (in their prime) at home 2-1, after that I'd say it's this result.

It depends on how far you want to go back, but if you are talking post-2000 then there are many more. A handful of results from Celtic and Rangers' Uefa cup final runs would be considered bigger e.g Celtic v Liverpool, Rangers v Sporting Lisbon etc

Then you have when Celtic and Rangers both got to the last 16 of the CL e.g Celtic v Man U/AC Milan/Barcelona, Rangers v Porto, etc

More recently, Celtic beat Lazio away (and at home) who were 2nd in Serie A at the time, if I remember correctly. That was in 2019.

I don't want to take away anything from Rangers' achievement, but saying it is the best in modern times is a bit over the top.