Taking the knee - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Taking the knee

kumnio

1 minute ago, Archiesdad said:

I think it's the correct decision for the England game. Showing support...

you are going to boo people who are taking a stand against against racism.

Wonder what that makes you.

If you can't see why this gesture is connected with BLM then more fool you mate.

The equivalent of making a Nazi salute and saying it was originally a Roman salute.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Yeah. Just because BLM hijacked the symbolic gesture in no way means that they've controlled the original narrative.

https://www.skysports.com/amp/nfl/news/12118/12170048/colin-kaepernick-how-taking-a-knee-started-after-nfl-quarterback-met-nate-boyer

It way predates that. Here's Martin Luther King and friends taking the knee in the 1960s.

GettyImages-517292466-201x300.jpg

If players feel the need to make a similar gesture against racism faced either by themselves or their colleagues, then I have no issue with that whatsoever. 

For someone to want to boo such an act either makes them a racist or at best a total dick.

4 minutes ago, Hercules Rockefeller said:

If you can't see why this gesture is connected with BLM then more fool you mate.

The equivalent of making a Nazi salute and saying it was originally a Roman salute.

You have obvs convinced yourself of this mate.

No one else is falling for the Nazi reference.

If you boo taking the knee in my opinion you are booing an anti racist stance.

Simple. 

Taking the knee is a stance against racism.

Booing it is the opposite

Edited by Archiesdad

3 minutes ago, Archiesdad said:

You have obvs convinced yourself of this mate.

No one else is falling for the Nazi reference.

If you boo taking the knee in my opinion you are booing an anti racist stance.

Simple. 

Taking the knee is a stance against racism.

Booing it is the opposite

Okay Gary Lineker.

It's the same exact point - you carry on living in ignorance.

15 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

It way predates that. Here's Martin Luther King and friends taking the knee in the 1960s.

If players feel the need to make a similar gesture against racism faced either by themselves or their colleagues, then I have no issue with that whatsoever. 

For someone to want to boo such an act either makes them a racist or at best a total dick.

Well said. Marvin Bartley applauding Scotland fans on Twitter for their pressure on the players speaks volumes.

26 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

The gesture of taking the knee was also used  by black and white students protesting at segregation within churches. Stephen Haynes who is a Professor of Religious Studies has written an interesting book on The Last Segregated Hour.

53 minutes ago, Hercules Rockefeller said:

Using your logic flying a swastika is all good as the symbol originates from a Hindu symbol meaning "good luck".

That's a good point. The swastika has been ruined.

To be honest. I don't really care enough to continue. :)

33 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Spot on.

3 minutes ago, 86glebestreet said:

I wonder how many of the players don’t want to take the knee but are being forced into it, 

I’m not sure if any will be forced into doing it. Some may feel under pressure to do it but I’m sure if anyone feels strongly enough about it and says they don’t want to do it that would be respected. 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m not sure if any will be forced into doing it. Some may feel under pressure to do it but I’m sure if anyone feels strongly enough about it and says they don’t want to do it that would be respected. 

Under pressure is a better way of saying it

It is all getting blown out of all proportions. Both the significance of taking the knee and the gesture itself. There is more discussion about it than the football. FFS This is a football tournament - nothing else.

Take the knee if you want or do something else in a gesture if you want but lets not slate players for deciding to or deciding not to.

This latest wave of taking the knee was popularized last year by BLM last summer, a bunch of Marxist frauds. I'm all for combating racism and am glad to see things move away from them but I have no issues kneeling with the English if players want to. I was very sad to see the ignorance of BLM when this started in football their anti-family pro Marxist agenda was right on their website for all to see. 

Edited by romanticscot

5 minutes ago, 86glebestreet said:

Under pressure is a better way of saying it

If someone isn’t fussed either way it goes along with it because others are doing it that’s fine but it wouldn’t be good if anyone who doesn’t want to do it feels they have to. 

For our squad at least I would imagine the players were consulted and involved in the decision. Surely anyone with strong objections would have raised them then?  

7 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

This latest wave of taking the knee was popularized last year by BLM last summer, a bunch of Marxist frauds. I'm all for combating racism and am glad to see things move away from them but I have no issues kneeling with the English if players want to. I was very sad to see the ignorance of BLM when this started in football their anti-family pro Marxist agenda was right on their website for all to see. 

Precisely.

No great coincidence soon after corporations shat the nest and donated huge sums to BLM that their leaders all bought huge houses.

All about equality right enough.

11 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I do a yoga class but I don't buy into the Hindu belief system that traditionally underpinned it. Plenty of people took the knee or supported BLM protests because they wanted to show that racism should have no place in British society not because they supported extremes of  BLM ideology. 

1 hour ago, Hercules Rockefeller said:

I thought it was a red hand salute...🤔

3 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

People are forgetting that the England fans will boo Flower of Scotland. No doubt.

In a way, this is a strange way of annoying them return. So I'm all for it.

Hmm, I'm not sure about that.  See when you really, really dislike someone, then they go and do something that impresses you?  Well, sometimes that can be annoying because they've done something you approve of, but you don't want to admit to yourself that you now admire them a bit. 

And then what makes that worse is when you see someone you do like doing something you disapprove of at the same time - then you get exasperated and think "fuck, why can't you be like them?!".

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

Hmm, I'm not sure about that.  See when you really, really dislike someone, then they go and do something that impresses you?  Well, sometimes that can be annoying because they've done something you approve of, but you don't want to admit to yourself that you now admire them a bit. 

And then what makes that worse is when you see someone you do like doing something you disapprove of at the same time - then you get exasperated and think "fuck, why can't you be like them?!".

I suppose.

I'm a little surprised that so many here are against taking the knee, though. 

3 hours ago, Hercules Rockefeller said:

Even for on here, that’s bonkers. 

Anyone booing the players is a moron. 

4 hours ago, Hercules Rockefeller said:

The wrong decision. Nothing wrong with standing and acknowledging the UEFA "Respect" logo as a show of commitment against racism.

Why take a knee when it's such a divisive gesture?

I'll be booing it at Wembley.

I doubt you’ll be able to find your way to Wembley if you’re that simple.