The news thread - Page 197 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

I had never even heard of Laura Trott.  I'm guessing with that surname, she's probably one of those Tory girls who looks like a horse.

Laura Trott - the cyclist - is a multiple Olympic gold medalist and World Champion.   I’ve never heard of the other one.

Sue Ellen's letter is quite the thing

I'm struggling to find a word that describes it as there are so many that could apply

What is clear without hyperbole is that she is using tactics from 1930s Germany when she states;

"Britain is at a turning point in our history and faces a threat of radicalisation and extremism in a way not seen for 20 years"

Just now, Ally Bongo said:

I'm struggling to find a word that describes it as there are so many that could apply

What is clear without hyperbole is that she is using tactics from 1930s Germany when she states;

"Britain is at a turning point in our history and faces a threat of radicalisation and extremism in a way not seen for 20 years"

I've just posted the letter above. Weirdly I thought of 1930s Germany when I read her letter. 

Who would have thought the poster girl for the far right would be a brown woman 😆 

5 minutes ago, ger intae them said:

Adam Johnson ice hockey death, there’s been an arrest for manslaughter.

this could have big consequences in the sport as, as far as I could see, was tragic accident as part of normal play.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-67419951

What happened ? Was he on the ground and someone ran over him ?

17 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

What happened ? Was he on the ground and someone ran over him ?

9 minutes ago, ger intae them said:

Yep, that’s what I saw. Obviously the police or authorities think something else…….. dangerous play, don’t know?

The video I saw was the opposition player lifting his leg to hit Adam Johnson. People I know who are regulars at ice hockey games in Guildford have said there is no way this hit was an accident. 

I don't know much about ice hockey myself but to me it doesn't look like an accident 

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

The video I saw was the opposition player lifting his leg to hit Adam Johnson. People I know who are regulars at ice hockey games in Guildford have said there is no way this hit was an accident. 

I don't know much about ice hockey myself but to me it doesn't look like an accident 

I thought it looked intentional but they had a couple of pros on talksport basically saying if you knew the sport and watched it that it definitely wasn't on purpose, they explained the way the initial hit was and the guys skate catching which then threw his leg upwards. 

I'm not convinced either way. It's fucking tragic anyway. The guy also has a pretty awful disciplinary record apparently which won't go well for him I guess.

22 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

To be fair many of us would agree with that assessment - if she's talking about herself and her supporters.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Tories about to ignore the ruling anyway. 

There was a law expert outside the supreme court being interviewed after the ruling and he explained that the reason the Rwanda plan was unlawful was not only because of the ECHR but also because of two separate pieces of legislation passed in the House of Commons in the last 20 years.

Ergo - leaving the ECHR will not get around it as they still have to address these two legislations

Fucking Nazi chancers  

55 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

To be fair many of us would agree with that assessment - if she's talking about herself and her supporters.

They have absolutely no self awareness at all. 
The thing that bothered me most was her use, on 2 occasions , of the phrase ‘stop the boats’. They are obsessed with it . Absolutely no consideration to the fact there are actually human beings on these boats  , they are just a grubby and costly nuisance 

She said :  

‘Your rejection of this path was not only a betrayal of our agreement, but a betrayal of your promise to the nation to do what it takes to ‘stop the boats’. 

It really saddens me that I live somewhere that prioritises turning people away over all the utter shit the Tories have created. They use the term ‘ stop the boats’ like an election strap line and so many people don’t bat an eyelid when they hear it. 

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Tories about to ignore the ruling anyway. 

Lets just change the law to get round it .

Could this actually play into Braverman's hands? If the rumours of her mounting a leadership challenge are true, perhaps leaving the ECHR and amending, and/or scrapping, the legislation that has scuppered the Rwanda plan could be part of her "pitch".