The news thread - Page 192 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

33 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I shouldn't really be surprised, but that's actually no bad! Better than the "new" songs they released in the '90s anyway.

I know they got Lennon's vocal from an old demo tape that they managed to clean up using AI, but I wonder how they got Harrison's guitar on there too. Did they lift that from an old demo or had they started working on this song before he died?  🤔

They worked on the song at the same time as Free As A Bird and Real Love. The original plan was to have a new track on each of the Anthology 1, 2 & 3 compilations.

It was shelved as George thought the sound quality of the Now And Then demo was "fucking rubbish", but the new technology has helped enhance it more.

It's been released as a double A side with Love Me Do, where they've employed the same technology to create a proper stereo recording for the first time.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

It's clear sunak is trying to divide people in thus country 

Screenshot_20231104_075559_Brave.jpg

Screenshot_20231104_075556_Brave.jpg

Screenshot_20231104_075552_Brave.jpg

I don’t see how sunak is encouraging it - he is making factual statements.  

absolutely respect the right of people to protest and hope they are allowed to, but equally I expect it to be done peacefully without vandalism which has not been the case in recent weeks.  Anyone caught defacing statues or buildings should simply be arrested with whatever force necessary.  Personally I would look to deploy riot police or the army to keep order. People have to see the law being enforced and if you don’t you risk vigilantism.

7 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

absolutely respect the right of people to protest and hope they are allowed to, but equally I expect it to be done peacefully without vandalism which has not been the case in recent weeks.  Anyone caught defacing statues or buildings should simply be arrested with whatever force necessary.  Personally I would look to deploy riot police or the army to keep order. People have to see the law being enforced and if you don’t you risk vigilantism.

Here is what he said

To plan protests on Armistice day is provocative and disrespectful and there is a clear and present risk that the cenotaph and other war memorials could be desecrated. 

Thats more provocative than the protest, this will stir right wing morons into "action" because they will think the protesters are going to do the above. Sunak isn't thick, he knows exactly what he's doing here.

On a side note, remembrance day has been completely bastardised by the right wing media and right wing politicians. 

4 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Here is what he said

To plan protests on Armistice day is provocative and disrespectful and there is a clear and present risk that the cenotaph and other war memorials could be desecrated. 

Thats more provocative than the protest, this will stir right wing morons into "action" because they will think the protesters are going to do the above. Sunak isn't thick, he knows exactly what he's doing here.

On a side note, remembrance day has been completely bastardised by the right wing media and right wing politicians. 

It's the same sort of mentality that lead to people 'protecting the statues' a few years back when the statues they were 'protecting' weren't the object of anyone's protests. I like you am cynical about Sunak, it's similar to other claims like not allowing councils to insist on seven recycling bins when that was never going to happen anyway. The boy has got form for this sort of thing.

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

Here is what he said

I think the fact that is on Remembrance Day is poorly timed, but I have no issue with it going ahead.  I do have an issue with it disturbing the event or any damage and desecration that is caused.  

people, down south especially, are fed up with every aspect of British culture being eroded.  I think there is real division in the country, far more than ever now.  Live and let live works fine until your rights impinge on my rights.

Multiculturalism is great in many ways but also has its challenges and it’s about how people can live their lives how they want to without affecting others.

56 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I think the fact that is on Remembrance Day is poorly timed, but I have no issue with it going ahead.  I do have an issue with it disturbing the event or any damage and desecration that is caused.  

people, down south especially, are fed up with every aspect of British culture being eroded.  I think there is real division in the country, far more than ever now.  Live and let live works fine until your rights impinge on my rights.

Multiculturalism is great in many ways but also has its challenges and it’s about how people can live their lives how they want to without affecting others.

Didn't the people in WW1 and WW2 sacrifice themselves for our right to freedom which includes protesting, well at least thats what we are always fed. You can't tell a supposed free country they have a right to protest but then decide when they can protest.

That 2nd paragraph is laughable at best - its straight out of the daily mail or daily express. I live down south, less than 1 hour from London in Tory heartland in one of the few working class towns in the area. Very few people care about British Culture being eroded. 

What are you referring to by British Culture? 

Edited by vanderark14

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Didn't the people in WW1 and WW2 sacrifice themselves for our right to freedom which includes protesting, well at least thats what we are always fed. You can't tell a supposed free country they have a right to protest but then decide when they can protest.

That 2nd paragraph is laughable at best - its straight out of the daily mail or daily express. I live down south, less than 1 hour from London in Tory heartland in one of the few working class towns in the area. Very few people care about British Culture being eroded. 

What are you referring to by British Culture? 

👍

Whilst the Covid enquiry continues to slate the UK Government and Boris Johnson’s handling of the crisis the Daily Mail’s front page every day has been focusing on Nadine Dorries book memoirs where she blames everything on everyone apart from BJ , who has apparently been unfairly treated. How do people get taken in by this shit ? Seriously. Who  really cares about the ramblings of a pound shop Michelle Mone.  Front page news FFS. 

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Dorries, Hancock,why on earth do publishers give deals to these charlatans? 

Can't see Mad Nad's memoirs being on too many people's Christmas lists. 

According to the Mail its the book EVERYONE has been waiting for 🙄

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Whilst the Covid enquiry continues to slate the UK Government and Boris Johnson’s handling of the crisis the Daily Mail’s front page every day has been focusing on Nadine Dorries book memoirs where she blames everything on everyone apart from BJ , who has apparently been unfairly treated. How do people get taken in by this shit ? Seriously. Who  really cares about the ramblings of a pound shop Michelle Mone.  Front page news FFS. 

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Dorries, Hancock,why on earth do publishers give deals to these charlatans? 

Can't see Mad Nad's memoirs being on too many people's Christmas lists. 

It's because a huge chunk of the population are so ignorant that they are easily taken in by this blatant propaganda.  Propaganda works. They know it works, so why would they stop using it? Most of us, who can see through it, are too lazy to even try to anything about it.

25 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

It's because a huge chunk of the population are so ignorant that they are easily taken in by this blatant propaganda.  Propaganda works. They know it works, so why would they stop using it? Most of us, who can see through it, are too lazy to even try to anything about it.

I have said this before but I read the Mail about 15-20 yrs ago, simply because it was the paper my husband bought. I used to read it and be like the people you mention, totally unaware of the crap I was reading, and ultimately believing everything they published was true. I had no idea of the papers political leanings etc as i had no interest in politics , I was just wanting to win a wee cottage with a thatched roof with the coupons in the paper 🙄 

I started kicking back a bit when I read pieces by Amanda Platell and John Greechan and thinking ‘ i dont agree with this shit’ .  I gradually read it less and less till I stopped completely, I now detest it with a passion. 
Its hard to highlight the crap as it is a Tory paper and anyone who supports independence just sounds like a pissed off nat. But people really should challenge things more. 

As an example of unsubstantiated rubbish , I seen a headline the other day in the Herald about the Green Brigade ban. The headline said that Celtic had to ban them or GCC were going to close down Celtic park. I read the article and in actual fact  the only involvement by GCC was in 2013 when there was some other stooshie surrounding Celtic.. It was mentioned in a small 3rd from last paragraph and was the only  GCC connection to the whole article. This particular writer was jumping to his own conclusion yet the headline strongly suggested GCC was going to close Parkhead.   I am not having any opinion on the green brigades ban, just highlighting the misleading headline. If this was in the Sun or Record I would not be surprised but it was The Herald. They are all full of shit. 

For me one of the key questions about what is happening in Israel/Gaza is how might Israel have responded differently to the barbaric cold blooded murders that took place 4 weeks ago.

I came across this article about the Pakistan backed terror attacks in India and thought it worth sharing as the author, who was a minister in the Indian Government, felt instant retaliation was the best/only option. 

https://www-livemint-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.livemint.com/Leisure/29lXP57cHDAloqUf2uJOHM/Why-India-didnt-attack-Pakistan-after-2611-Mumbai-attacks.html?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9&facet=amp&usqp=mq331AQIUAKwASCAAgM%3D#amp_ct=1699130622957&amp_tf=From %1%24s&aoh=16991306191089&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.livemint.com%2FLeisure%2F29lXP57cHDAloqUf2uJOHM%2FWhy-India-didnt-attack-Pakistan-after-2611-Mumbai-attacks.html

Edited by Hertsscot

On 11/2/2023 at 10:00 PM, Toepoke said:

The Beatles' final song, released today...

Just watched the Beatles and the BBC doc on BBC2 tonight where they showed the video for this at the end. I had a lump in my throat, mainly from the overall feel of the song. 

57 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Braverman really is the devil’s daughter. And saying that most people on the streets ‘come from abroad’. Wtf.  

Shelter and Crisis are absolutely correct, I have recently witnessed first hand how absorbent rent prices force people to the brink of homelessness . When private rent prices increase by 50-100 % it pushes affordability out of many people’s reach. Many people  in private rent are there as they are already struggling with finances or/and cant get a mortgage . 

She goes on about British cities ending up like San Fransisco and Los Angela whose ‘weak policies’  have created crime , drugs and squalor. As Britain goes I think the horse has well and truly bolted on that, and  on your watch . And  Its pretty well documented that a large part of San Fransiscos homelessness is due to high rent prices following the boom in Silicon Valley forcing many people out of their homes. 

But hey, lets blame things on people ’ from abroad ‘ .

22 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Braverman really is the devil’s daughter. And saying that most people on the streets ‘come from abroad’. Wtf.  

Shelter and Crisis are absolutely correct, I have recently witnessed first hand how absorbent rent prices force people to the brink of homelessness . When private rent prices increase by 50-100 % it pushes affordability out of many people’s reach. Many people  in private rent are there as they are already struggling with finances or/and cant get a mortgage . 

She goes on about British cities ending up like San Fransisco and Los Angela whose ‘weak policies’  have created crime , drugs and squalor. As Britain goes I think the horse has well and truly bolted on that, and  on your watch . And  Its pretty well documented that a large part of San Fransiscos homelessness is due to high rent prices following the boom in Silicon Valley forcing many people out of their homes. 

But hey, lets blame things on people ’ from abroad ‘ .

I thought that Farage was the person I despised most in politics but Braverman is catching up. No inclination ever to put her role or govt department to good use. Just attention seeking by stirring up unpleasantness.

They're about to have a phone-in about it on radio 2 so it's turned off now.  At least Vernon Kay let out a big sigh. Then they joked about it being an impartial sigh 🙄 Can't bear that when the likes of Vine has a show about sensitive or complex issues alongside something trivial like the quality of sandwiches on trains. What's that going to achieve, having someone moan about a tent in a doorway they pass on their way back to their cosy home? Yes it is a "lifestyle choice" when you've got zero options. 

On 11/4/2023 at 8:44 AM, Malcolm said:

I expect Israel to defend itself without deliberately aiming to kill kids but here we are, UK Gov (and opposition) supporting them doing so with impunity. 

International law is being disregarded at the drop of the hat, yet Sunak goes on about law and order without a hint of irony. 

Ignoring international law is just an extention of whats been happening for the last 25 years. There is no alternative for people. The media control the narrative and people are too busy trying to survive themselves.

House / rent prices are a direct result of people having property port folios. Theres an easy fix. Limit ownership to something like 3 properties. That way somebody can their family home and rent out 2 othwr properties for abitnof extra income / something for their retirement.

Nobody needs to own 20 properties and it only results in prices going up.

Had Sky News on in the background. They are doing an in depth segment on the developments overnight. Close up of a tunnel entrance which is near the hospital. The expert then casually says, this makes the hospital a legitimate target.

Its things like this that arent even being questioned anymore. A hospital is never a legitimate target. I dont care if Hamas have a HQ on the top floor. You put in special forces to take them out. You cant just bomb the building.