The news thread - Page 217 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

8 hours ago, Shaundy said:

I’m struggling to get why a drama about the injustice of the Post Office cover up from 1999 til 2015 has become a major story for the BBC News and journalists. Hell, I understand this is post satire, irony , reality, it is what it is or declare to be. 

the sole defence for the UK not being a totalitarian state is that there is a fortnightly comic from those in the know . All the sordid details are explained, declared and mocked by witnesses or those with contact. Obviously none of the expert witnesses and sources that perhaps attended the same schools, college or are related to the miscreants are in any way a cunt themselves. Victims if anything. 

I saw someone pointed out that Adam Crozier, the CEO of ITV was CEO of Royal Mail at the time but doesn’t feature in the drama...

What is it with major tragedies, injustices or mishandling of crises where the subsequent inquiry becomes part of the scandal and ongoing suffering for those involved?

Post Office Horizon, Grenfell, Contaminated Blood Scandal, Hillsborough, Aberfan Disaster...just off the top of my head. All just raised more questions than answers.

Even before you get to how the handling of the Horizon problems destroyed people's lives; it should be a massive wake up call over our ever increasing reliance on IT systems and the decisions made by them. It feels like there are zero safeguards and it's already too late. 

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, StirlingEgg said:

I saw someone pointed out that Adam Crozier, the CEO of ITV was CEO of Royal Mail at the time but doesn’t feature in the drama...

What is it with major tragedies, injustices or mishandling of crises where the subsequent inquiry becomes part of the scandal and ongoing suffering for those involved?

Post Office Horizon, Grenfell, Contaminated Blood Scandal, Hillsborough, Aberfan Disaster...just off the top of my head. All just raised more questions than answers.

Even before you get to how the handling of the Horizon problems destroyed people's lives; it should be a massive wake up call over our ever increasing reliance on IT systems and the decisions made by them. It feels like there are zero safeguards and it's already too late. 

Seems that demonic screaming harpie that is Jo Swinson is up to her neck in this as well as Davey

25 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

Seems that demonic screaming harpie that is Jo Swinson is up to her neck in this as well as Davey

This extract from a Commons debate over 10 years ago highlights Swinson merely defending the Post Office brand and pretty much washing the govt's hands of it all. Blah blah independent review etc and undermines the seriousness of it all by stating that every IT system has bugs! Even bloomin' Ian Murray makes a more worthwhile contribution. 

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2013-07-09/debates/13070952000004/PostOffice-HorizonSystem

Tories putting themselves forward as champions of the wrongly convicted postmasters. Isn't this ignoring the fact that a lot of the convictions took place under them and that little compensation has been paid out whilst they've been in Government?

Fujitsu, at least according to the ITV drama, seem to have got off very lightly for lying and covering up what was going on.

Edited by Hertsscot

6 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67895246

A decent Tory. Chris Skidmore resigning due to Govt. policy on the environment. Credit to him and to the likes of Alok Sharma, John Selwyn Gummer etc who have called out the Tories on this issue.

Yes, its easy for opponents to condemn every MP just because of the party they represent. He was  stepping down anyway but arguably thats even more reason just to disappear without a fuss so credit to him. 

Welsh Rugby Legend JPR Williams passes away aged 74

The Grim Reaper had a short break over the festive season but boy is he back with a bang

With an election on the horizon (!) you might think they'd actually hold the right folk to account for once. Not just scapegoating a few but properly addressing how this went so badly wrong, including folk being rewarded for destroying lives. Is losing your CBE so bad? I'd imagine being driven to suicide, wrongly imprisoned, going bankrupt, demonised in your community and more all being far worse. 

11 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Any excuse to post...

Two high neck tackles on JPR within a minute too !

12 hours ago, StirlingEgg said:

With an election on the horizon (!) you might think they'd actually hold the right folk to account for once. Not just scapegoating a few but properly addressing how this went so badly wrong, including folk being rewarded for destroying lives. Is losing your CBE so bad? I'd imagine being driven to suicide, wrongly imprisoned, going bankrupt, demonised in your community and more all being far worse. 

They waited till there was a petition of over 1 million people which basically forced their hands.
Maybe they could just change their CBE’s  to *Cunt of the British Empire and make them wear it forever .

* Not a word I often use. 

6 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

They waited till there was a petition of over 1 million people which basically forced their hands.
Maybe they could just change their CBE’s  to *Cunt of the British Empire and make them wear it forever .

There's plenty of scope for using it these days, maybe because we've got much more awareness of skullduggery! 

On 1/9/2024 at 10:23 AM, TDYER63 said:

I'm suspicious about the scapegoating of Vennels. I'm not doubting she's in the wrong and she's at least done the right thing in handing her CBE back. But what about the others, Fujitsu (who were still awarded loads of Government contracts), Ed 'the wool was pulled over my Eyes' Davey and not least the Tories? Most of the scandal has unfolded under their watch, they presumably gave Vennels her gong, they've dragged their heels in terms of acquittals and compensation (just like Grenfell, just like Windrush). I'm sickened by Sunak playing 'man of the people' championing the victims of this scandal when the only reason he's doing this now is because of a TV drama.

Off topic this is interesting if you know someone unfortunate to suffer from MS - and why we are generally taller than Spanish/Italian nyaffs ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-67917294

Scientists crack mystery of how MS gene spread

5 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

I'm suspicious about the scapegoating of Vennels. I'm not doubting she's in the wrong and she's at least done the right thing in handing her CBE back. But what about the others, Fujitsu (who were still awarded loads of Government contracts), Ed 'the wool was pulled over my Eyes' Davey and not least the Tories? Most of the scandal has unfolded under their watch, they presumably gave Vennels her gong, they've dragged their heels in terms of acquittals and compensation (just like Grenfell, just like Windrush). I'm sickened by Sunak playing 'man of the people' championing the victims of this scandal when the only reason he's doing this now is because of a TV drama.

Watched Mr Bates tonight scandalous that it took a tv drama 10/12 years after the fact for anybody at the top to be held even remotely responsible, reminds me of Hillsborough loads of time in court but ultimately nobody in power will be found guilty of a criminal offence. A couple of early retirements and a gong returned at most I’d imagine 

8 hours ago, dan cake said:

Watched Mr Bates tonight scandalous that it took a tv drama 10/12 years after the fact for anybody at the top to be held even remotely responsible, reminds me of Hillsborough loads of time in court but ultimately nobody in power will be found guilty of a criminal offence. A couple of early retirements and a gong returned at most I’d imagine 

Jo Hamilton who was the sub post office woman from Hampshire was on the 7 o clock Channel 4 News yesterday. Absolutely scathing about the present Government. Said the only reason they're doing anything is because of the TV drama and because there's an election coming up.

10 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

terrible for anyone who has put down a deposit.  Likely lost a good part of their savings.

Yeah, deposits for the plots are usually a few hundred quid though. 

Difference ball game if you mortgage agreed and were due to move in this week, not sure how that would work. Guessing they'd be ok as no money changed hands yet. 

Hislop went in on the Tories about the post-office scandal. Always fun to see someone who knows what they are talking about take on some random just trying to deflect.

Jake Berry was the other guy.

Edited by phart

2 hours ago, phart said:

Hislop went in on the Tories about the post-office scandal. Always fun to see someone who knows what they are talking about take on some random just trying to deflect.

Jake Berry was the other guy.

Was that a guy? I thought it was a chocolate teapot. Would have been more effective.

Gladiator Jet (Diane Youdale) has married a rather unattractive woman she met in the supermarket (what a waste) and Sven Goran Eriksson has terminal cancer

f0428990-2165-11ee-bdd1-a998cdf8ed9d.png.98998b73aafd33547eb006e153f6321c.png