The news thread - Page 200 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

6 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Aye, giving his kids access to the hotspot isn't the same as giving them access to the device. Unless of course he uses the same password for both, which wouldn't really surprise anybody.

The main thing that I think this crazy situation highlights (yet again) is how easy it is for these massive corporations to basically extort money out of innocent people with impunity. The main thing that Matheson, and many thousands of other folk, are guilty of is ignorance of how these techy things work. It just shouldn't be allowed that these companies can do this. They are charging folk an extortionate amount of money for a bill that the don't even know are running up. Governments should stop this happening. It shouldn't be down to individuals to take these money grabbing fukers on. They should just be told that if you are going to extort money out of UK citizens, whether they are at home or abroad, then we will revoke your license to operate in the UK. Nobody should be able to run up a bill of thousands of pounds without giving express permission. This "It's in the terms and conditions" excuse is just a load of bollocks.

100%. A colleague ran up massive bills years back because windows did a full system update while on a business trip.  She had no idea or warning as to what was happening.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

£11K because a Scottish minister doesn't know how to work his computer properly. Which he actually agrees to pay for himself.

£140 million for planes to Rwanda that never took of yet. Anybody volunteering to pay for that out of their own pocket? Cameron or Sunak could probably afford to do it, but they won't. 

Someone, least of all Starmer could point out that £140 million would go some way to fund processing the backlog of asylum applications. McVey, the 'common sense tsar' should look at that. Nobody wants to solve the problem though, only exacerbate it. Labour should get a common decency tsar. 

9 hours ago, Orraloon said:

£11K because a Scottish minister doesn't know how to work his computer properly. Which he actually agrees to pay for himself.

£140 million for planes to Rwanda that never took of yet. Anybody volunteering to pay for that out of their own pocket? Cameron or Sunak could probably afford to do it, but they won't. 

mathieson is an idiot, and what’s worse is he tried to cover it up - he must resign today.

the statement about the flights to Rwanda are completely irrelevant to this.

The UK government cause a riot in London, they are sticking two fingers up to the law of the country, they are spending millions on failed bids to ship a few immigrants to Rwanda. They are openly trying to take rights from people, take away your right to protest but but but what about Mathesons ipad

SNP politician - must be squeaky clean, no errors of judgement, no hairs out of place, no crooked tie in assembly OR else

Unionist party politician - do what ever the fuck you want but if you do wrong make sure you says but but but but the snp guy farted sir

And another thing. Shipping immigrants to an African country is shit you would expect the fucking national front or BNP to say in the 90s or germany in the very early 30s now its considered fucking normal in the UK of all places. 

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

mathieson is an idiot, and what’s worse is he tried to cover it up - he must resign today.

the statement about the flights to Rwanda are completely irrelevant to this.

They may not be comparable topics but in terms of perspective and reaction in the Scottish media, it is hugely relevant. One story has serious repercussions for democracy and treatment of human beings and the other story? Well I'm not sure why it's headline news. 

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

The UK government cause a riot in London, they are sticking two fingers up to the law of the country, they are spending millions on failed bids to ship a few immigrants to Rwanda. They are openly trying to take rights from people, take away your right to protest but but but what about Mathesons ipad

SNP politician - must be squeaky clean, no errors of judgement, no hairs out of place, no crooked tie in assembly OR else

Unionist party politician - do what ever the fuck you want but if you do wrong make sure you says but but but but the snp guy farted sir

This stuff is starting to give me an Inspector Dreyfus eye twitch...

image.png.cdf53e5f59ae5dc4ecc540f4e2cdb191.png

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Also taking away right to strike plus wasting millions to try to pay off ticket office rail staff then get told they cannot. Absolute, incompetent, useless dictators.

3 hours ago, StirlingEgg said:

They may not be comparable topics but in terms of perspective and reaction in the Scottish media, it is hugely relevant. One story has serious repercussions for democracy and treatment of human beings and the other story? Well I'm not sure why it's headline news. 

👏👏👏

4 hours ago, StirlingEgg said:

Its just another way for unionists like Malcolm to brush anything the UK gov does under the carpet and paint any scottish nationalist as incompetent. Its easier to do thats instead of waking the fuck up and going it alone with independence. 

Edited by vanderark14

10 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

My issue with Mathieson is fact he's blatantly lied. 

Media/opposition are clearly at it but he's made it a lot worse by tying himself in knots with lies. 

I’m not sure he has lied.  His story, if you want to describe it as that, is that his kids only owned up on a week past Thursday, which is when he paid the bill himself.   Up until that point he was certain that the only thing he’d used the iPad for was parliamentary business.  For the next week he was clearly dodging the press.

Stupid, certainly, a liar, no.

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Wow. Cost of living crisis. Chancellor's priority, cut inheritance tax! Let the rich get even richer. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67448602

Wish they would introduce it now for me

Those that are not wealthy suffer too

21 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I don't understand what you are meaning here? Are you saying that somebody who inherits over £350,000 is "suffering"? 

Yes

My wealthy Aunt passed away last year and her estate is roughly around £800k to £1million 

Going at the top range would mean Inheritance Tax of £260,000 leaving £740,000 to be split between two of us

It basically means her estate is being split 3 ways with HMRC getting nearly a third of money that she paid tax on all her life

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Yes

My wealthy Aunt passed away last year and her estate is roughly around £800k to £1million 

Going at the top range would mean Inheritance Tax of £260,000 leaving £740,000 to be split between two of us

It basically means her estate is being split 3 ways with HMRC getting nearly a third of money that she paid tax on all her life

Would you like us to start a TAMB whip round for you?

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Yes

Sorry for the loss of your aunt but for you *only* getting £370k inheritance, zero sympathy. 

25 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Malcolm has hacked Ally’s account . 

Not really

All of us have had to work all our lives

My parents and their relatives were all working class when that meant something and none of us had any savings to note except my Dad's sister and she only accumulated her wealth due to being unable to have children and her husband dying of cancer in his 50s just after being medically retired by the fire brigade.

She got his very good pension for her remaining 30+ years and had good financial advice

Losing a quarter of a million of her money to the English Treasury is a slap in the face

Only the really wealthy benefit from a cut to Inheritance Tax - not the wee guy

4 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Not really

All of us have had to work all our lives

My parents and their relatives were all working class when that meant something and none of us had any savings to note except my Dad's sister and she only accumulated her wealth due to being unable to have children and her husband dying of cancer in his 50s just after being medically retired by the fire brigade.

She got his very good pension for her remaining 30+ years and had good financial advice

Losing a quarter of a million of her money to the English Treasury is a slap in the face

Only the really wealthy benefit from a cut to Inheritance Tax - not the wee guy

* wee guy with £740,000