The news thread - Page 205 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Humzah useless considering a new tax band for those earning 75k-125k of 44%.  Insane.  Not only politically damaging but putting scotland at a further competitive disadvantage.  People will simply stop working.

Not necessarily. People will only stop working if money is the only motivation, most surveys from what I can recall, state it as just one factor amongst many. Also there are European countries where higher wage earners 'happily' accept higher taxation because it means a more cohesive society with better public services for all. Some of those nations iirc also do well in terms of personal happiness.

The reality tax burden for the wealthiest in society has decreased massively in my life time maybe it's time some of that was rectified.

Those utter bastards, how dare they look after the health of their workers

Edinburgh City Council could consider banning the use of fossil fuel-powered leaf blowers after councillors raised concerns about the health impact on workers.

A motion which recognises that fumes emitted by the devices “have been linked to an increase in the risk of cancer, heart disease and asthma” was unanimously passed at the council's Culture and Communities Committee on Tuesday.

Edited by vanderark14

34 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

I'm not at all convinced that Corbyn was anti-Semitic but the muzzling of the British left, aided and abetted by celebs and the media would undoubtedly have emboldened the Israeli right wingers.

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Those utter bastards, how dare they look after the health of their workers

Edinburgh City Council could consider banning the use of fossil fuel-powered leaf blowers after councillors raised concerns about the health impact on workers.

A motion which recognises that fumes emitted by the devices “have been linked to an increase in the risk of cancer, heart disease and asthma” was unanimously passed at the council's Culture and Communities Committee on Tuesday.

no issue with them doing that for their workers, but I do have an issue with them banning the public using them.

4 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Not necessarily. People will only stop working if money is the only motivation, most surveys from what I can recall, state it as just one factor amongst many. Also there are European countries where higher wage earners 'happily' accept higher taxation because it means a more cohesive society with better public services for all. Some of those nations iirc also do well in terms of personal happiness.

The reality tax burden for the wealthiest in society has decreased massively in my life time maybe it's time some of that was rectified.

money is the primary motivation for most people to work.  The impact will be more early retirement, cutting of hours, increased pension contributions and move of high value jobs to England.  Also of people fiddling the system with an “address” just over the border.

i work in a role that is UK wide, absolutely no need to have my primary address in Scotland.

52 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Not that i have any sympathy with Corbyn

Once he became leader of British Labour he did a complete U Turn on Scottish Independence and sided with the same establishment that eventually destroyed him

5 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Why would we want to be happy and content when we could all be like Malcolm. 

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

money is the primary motivation for most people to work.  The impact will be more early retirement, cutting of hours, increased pension contributions and move of high value jobs to England.  Also of people fiddling the system with an “address” just over the border.

i work in a role that is UK wide, absolutely no need to have my primary address in Scotland.

Im no expert but wouldnt the increased tax just be paid on anything over 75k? Is the tax for 40k to 75k not something like 41% anyway?

So really you would be paying an extra 3% on a few thousand pounds. Dont think many people would retire because of that.

57 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Why would we want to be happy and content when we could all be like Malcolm. 

I'm being drawn in but I don't believe for second half the stuff he says.

People are not moving to England for the sake of a few grand either way when you're on 75, 80, 110k.

For one everything else is cheaper here.   

Nicholas Rossi has his appeal against extradition turned down, hope he gets everything thats coming to him and doesn’t dodge a heavy sentence due to faking mental illness as well as physical “illness”. Doing a Rossi is a commonly used term in my work for some of the impostors that are employed there

1 hour ago, dan cake said:

Nicholas Rossi has his appeal against extradition turned down, hope he gets everything thats coming to him and doesn’t dodge a heavy sentence due to faking mental illness as well as physical “illness”. Doing a Rossi is a commonly used term in my work for some of the impostors that are employed there

It's a wild story

37 minutes ago, StirlingEgg said:

Must be incredibly frustrating dealing with someone who just lies continuously.

Scottish Unionists make a career out of it and then there is those like Malcolm on here

21 hours ago, PapofGlencoe said:

To add to this, we already pay more so someone on 80k a year here already pays a few thousand more than down South.

Have we seen a mass exodus?

Quite the opposite actually.  People on London wages coming up and buying property.

Even someone on £80k a year wouldn't have as a good a lifestyle in London as they would up here, unless they're young, with no commitments and prepared to share accommodation with one or more people, and even that's pushing it.

For most people, certainly anyone with a family, you're looking at staying further out and commuting in and, having had a taste of that myself a few weeks ago, fuck doing that on regular basis! And that's before you factor in having to pay out of your own pocket for things we take for granted up here, like medical prescriptions (even people on good salaries can develop health conditions) and higher education.

People have always moved south and will continue to do so, but if they say they're doing it to save a few hundred quid a year in income tax they're either lying or so daft you'd have to ask who'd be willing to pay them an £80k salary in the first place! 

2 hours ago, StirlingEgg said:

I'd forgotten who he was til I looked it up again. Must be incredibly frustrating dealing with someone who just lies continuously. Wasting everyone's time and effort in hospital on top of his offences. 

No medical reason why he is in a wheelchair or why he needs oxygen from a mask, managed to get out of his chair to assault a prison officer. Hopefully the judge adds on a couple of years for all the taxpayers money he’s wasted in this country 

Steve Halliwell more famously known as Zak Dingle passes away aged 77

I'm currently watching Classic Emmerdale on ITV3 religiously and the episode today from Winter 2004 finished with Sebastian Dingle played by Paul Shane challenging Zak for a fight to see who is King of the Dingles

Great character and sad

Most of the classic emmerdale cast are dropping like flies lately

That wee lassie who was murdered 27 years ago... surely I can't be the only one wondering WTF the polis have been doing for the last 27 years when they had a video from a bairn saying he saw her being hit and thrown in the water and a neighbour had all the stories of the perpetrators coming back home and shouting incriminating stuff at each other?

Nearly 3 decades the lassie's mother has had to suffer?  Most bizarre thing I've ever heard unless I'm missing something glaringly obvious.

20 minutes ago, daviebee said:

That wee lassie who was murdered 27 years ago... surely I can't be the only one wondering WTF the polis have been doing for the last 27 years when they had a video from a bairn saying he saw her being hit and thrown in the water and a neighbour had all the stories of the perpetrators coming back home and shouting incriminating stuff at each other?

Nearly 3 decades the lassie's mother has had to suffer?  Most bizarre thing I've ever heard unless I'm missing something glaringly obvious.

Have you seen the picture of one of the murdering cunts that she was supposed to have been obsessed with ?