The news thread - Page 40 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Anyone who is on three months notice and who leaves their position immediately.  It’s happened to me three times.  it’s pretty common in my industry. 

Gardening leave tends to be used in a couple of cases, firstly where there is a process to go through before someone’s employment is terminated and secondly where someone is moving to go to a competitor and the calculation is made that it’s better to have someone being paid for doing nothing than let them go straight away.

I remember well a conversation with a boss of mine once where he said, to a group of us, some who were complaining about something or other, that you should remember that at some point, you might be relying on these rights yourself,

It sounds to me as if you think that people who are paid well and/or who have done things you don’t agree with should have a lower level of employment rights as you have.   I’ve zero sympathy for any of these jokers in the Tory party but they should have the same rights as anyone else. 

I know how it works, mate. Been there, done that. I've been on gardening leave as well. The last time I was on 12 months notice period. That was mainly because they let me right my own contract. The 12 months works both ways though. They could have made me stay on for the 12 months if they had wanted. 

My point is that the vast majority of employees are not on these generous terms and conditions. One of the main reasons they are not, is that successive governments have allowed companies to treat the majority of their workforce like shit. They have even passed laws encouraging them to do so. If zero hour contracts etc, etc are OK for the plebs then why are the folk making the laws on such generous terms and conditions. They are public employees paid for out of our taxes. If they resign then pay them up to the end of the week then tell them to fuk off. 

Edited by Orraloon

4 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I know how it works, mate. Been there, done that. I've been on gardening leave as well. The last time I was on 12 months notice period. That was mainly because they let me right my own contract. The 12 months works both ways though. They could have made me stay on for the 12 months if they had wanted. 

My point is that the vast majority of employees are not on these generous terms and conditions. One of the main reasons they are not, is that successive governments have allowed companies to treat the majority of their workforce like shit. They have even passed laws encouraging them to do so. If zero hour contracts etc, etc are OK for the plebs then why are the folk making the laws on such generous terms and conditions. They are public employees paid for out of our taxes. If they resign then pay them up to the end of the week then tell them to fuk off. 

So public sector employees should have different employment rights from everyone else?

3 hours ago, kumnio said:

Wants to stay until autumn, the guy is unbelievable. He just wants to stay another month to outlive Teresa May. 

Right, what bastard will lead them next. 

Rumour is that he wants to stay on a bit longer because he and Carrie plan on using Chequers for some big wedding celebration.  Knowing that pair I find that extremely plausible!

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Ben Wallace seems favourite amongst conservative party members according to snap yougov poll. . 

Ben Wallace - a man so devoid of charisma he makes Keir Starmer look like Harold Wilson.  😂

I shouldn't be surprised - this is the same mob who once chose Iain Duncan Smith over Ken Clarke to be their leader.

How does it work with them, is it one-member-one-vote or is it a kind of 'electoral college' system?

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

I think gove is a strong candidate for leadership. 

So does he, probably.  I just hope not many other people do!

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

How does it work with them, is it one-member-one-vote or is it a kind of 'electoral college' system?

MPs vote in a number of rounds, with the candidate with the lowest number of voters excluded; once only two remain, it's a one-member-one-vote contest.

25 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

MPs vote in a number of rounds, with the candidate with the lowest number of voters excluded; once only two remain, it's a one-member-one-vote contest.

This round robin system is really interesting as it gives the MPs or groups of MPs an opportunity to “nobble” the vote to knock out candidates who might be more of a threat to their favoured candidate when it goes to the membership.  There were a lot of suggestions that a lot of Johnson supporters voted for Hunt so as to knock Gove out as they felt he’d be easier for Johnson to beat as a remainer rather than two leavers going up against each other. 

4 minutes ago, exile said:

After the drama of all those resignations on Wednesday, the actual 'resignation' of Boris Johnson seemed to me a bit flat, not least as replacing Johnson will only see another Tory in his place, with a perhasp firmer grip of the UK.

And not least since it looks as if Johnson is going to try to cling on, even forming abother cabinet, with some of the same people, as if nothing happened.

Aye, the folk left behind are no better than Johnson. They didn't get rid of him because he continually lied. They got rid of him because he continually got caught lying. If he had been better at lying, or better at covering up his constant lying, then they would have be happy to keep him on. The whole Tory party are a bunch of devious hypocritical fukers.

50 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Sunak's released his campaign video:

He's put all that together very quickly considering he only resigned on Wednesday...

His website was registered in December 2021. 

40 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

With his past Sunak has as much chance of becoming PM as Jeremy Corbyn

Why? It's not a public vote. It's Tories who are electing the next PM. They don't give a fuck about his financial affairs.

7 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Why? It's not a public vote. It's Tories who are electing the next PM. They don't give a fuck about his financial affairs.

I'll start with his campaign propaganda

"Lets restore trust, rebuild the economy and reunite the country"

Trust - Backed Boris to the bitter end and lied for him

Economy - Might come as a shock but he has been the Chancellor for the last 2 years

His and his wife's financial affairs are very important because Tory leaders are elected on the basis of being able to win elections

With his CV he has no fucking chance

Does anyone remember the STV series Trial by Night which was on in the mid 90s

I had convinced myself that Boris Johnson was a young obnoxious Tory that appeared in one episode

I am thinking i am wrong as he would have been in his 30s

32 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I'll start with his campaign propaganda

"Lets restore trust, rebuild the economy and reunite the country"

Trust - Backed Boris to the bitter end and lied for him

Economy - Might come as a shock but he has been the Chancellor for the last 2 years

His and his wife's financial affairs are very important because Tory leaders are elected on the basis of being able to win elections

With his CV he has no fucking chance

The thing I think is Sunak’s biggest problem is that he came from basically nowhere with next to no scrutiny.  He was a very junior minister for Local Government and was promoted to be Chief Secretary to the Treasury when Johnson won the leadership as a reward for being part of Johnson’s campaign trail.  Six months later, he got the gig as Chancellor.p when a Javid resigned.  All of that would be fine apart from when he was subjected to a bit of intense scrutiny he was all over the place.  He doesn’t strike me as being someone who is comfortable with that sort of environment.

For me Liz Truss is very similar, she’s properly barking anyway but seems to have settled on a a persona which is look like Thatcher, do loads of photo ops and say nothing.   The problem is that to be successful in that when you are being questioned, you need to be able to give the impression that you have answered it when you’ve really said nothing of note.  She literally just says nothing and comes across as a mad automaton.  She’s also got a fair few skeletons in her closet  

i don’t think the MPs will let either of this pair go to the membership. 

38 minutes ago, aaid said:

The thing I think is Sunak’s biggest problem is that he came from basically nowhere with next to no scrutiny.  He was a very junior minister for Local Government and was promoted to be Chief Secretary to the Treasury when Johnson won the leadership as a reward for being part of Johnson’s campaign trail.  Six months later, he got the gig as Chancellor.p when a Javid resigned.  All of that would be fine apart from when he was subjected to a bit of intense scrutiny he was all over the place.  He doesn’t strike me as being someone who is comfortable with that sort of environment.

Reading this reminded me of a discussion we had some months ago talking about the next Tory leader. I said Sunak was too new, and still building his Tory network powerbase.

Britains needs a man who knows the game. A man who will stick it to those uppity Nats and Europeans. A man who has all eleven tentacles in every pie.

Step forward....

THE GOVENATOR!

5 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Reading this reminded me of a discussion we had some months ago talking about the next Tory leader. I said Sunak was too new, and still building his Tory network powerbase.

Britains needs a man who knows the game. A man who will stick it to those uppity Nats and Europeans. A man who has all eleven tentacles in every pie.

Step forward....

THE GOVENATOR!

I guess you won’t know for certain until nominations close but he’s already apparently ruled himself out. 

5 minutes ago, aaid said:

I guess you won’t know for certain until nominations close but he’s already apparently ruled himself out. 

Well, that's disappointing.