The Great Outdoors... - Page 17 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Great Outdoors...

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Did Goatfell with Jen the other week. Must have done it a dozen times now (Saltcoats lad) and it's a lot harder than many it's size or higher. Proper scramble at top. 

Going up was fine for us. Coming down was horrific. Both my knees seized up and genuinely thought at one point I couldn’t go on. Needless to say for my upcoming trek I’ve been doing a lot of knee work!! 

Had a great wee weekend away there, camped just outside Oban on Friday, rain came on just before bed time so not too bad. Ferry to Mull first thing, wee hour in tobermory before we could buy some booze then drove down and parked up for hike into the bothy. Was too wet/forecast for thunder and lightening for the Munro. Farmer took me and all the bags/coal etc up and dumped them at the Bothy, took me back to my mates to finish the walk in. We were there from 1 had a good bev and some brownies, fire roaring all day and tunes on was cracking. Shame we didnt get to explore a wee bit but it was mostly sideways rain all day. A few others came to the bothy later on, 2 guys who were hill runners went out in the pissing rain and up the hill beside us.......fuck that.

Good weekend and well needed after a couple of tough weeks. 

8 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Had a great wee weekend away there, camped just outside Oban on Friday, rain came on just before bed time so not too bad. Ferry to Mull first thing, wee hour in tobermory before we could buy some booze then drove down and parked up for hike into the bothy. Was too wet/forecast for thunder and lightening for the Munro. Farmer took me and all the bags/coal etc up and dumped them at the Bothy, took me back to my mates to finish the walk in. We were there from 1 had a good bev and some brownies, fire roaring all day and tunes on was cracking. Shame we didnt get to explore a wee bit but it was mostly sideways rain all day. A few others came to the bothy later on, 2 guys who were hill runners went out in the pissing rain and up the hill beside us.......fuck that.

Good weekend and well needed after a couple of tough weeks. 

👍

The weather has been pretty shit  unfortunately.  I dont think I have EVER been in Oban when it hasn’t rained right enough …
Plan to see more of Scotland and the islands when we retire, it’s shameful how little I have seen north of Inveraray . 

11 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

You would never get me up there in a million years. FFS the name alone should be a warning .

Goat Fell (actually means windy hill) was a great walk.   What did me in though was doing it in my 40s with a group of 20-somethings.

If I posted the summit group pic, I'd use a beetroot to redact my face.

13 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Goat Fell (actually means windy hill) was a great walk.   What did me in though was doing it in my 40s with a group of 20-somethings.

If I posted the summit group pic, I'd use a beetroot to redact my face.

‘ A great WALK ‘ ? 
Who are you? Spiderman ?

And Windy Hill where a Goat Fell doesn’t make me feel any more confident. 

Go on, post the group pic. How do you cover your face anyway with all these these vegetables and emojis ? Do you need to do it on a PC or can you do it on an iPhone? 

23 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

👍

The weather has been pretty shit  unfortunately.  I dont think I have EVER been in Oban when it hasn’t rained right enough …
Plan to see more of Scotland and the islands when we retire, it’s shameful how little I have seen north of Inveraray . 

Haha it was actually ok until later on in the night. The sunday when we came home was sunny in Mull and Oban, shame it hadnt been the saturday. I'd love to go tour the islands properly, my parents did it about 10 years ago and loved it. 

The west coast is unbelievably beautiful. I was lucky enough in one of my old jobs to be up there every week at least once and up to Brora the other side once a week too. 

22 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

‘ A great WALK ‘ ? 
Who are you? Spiderman ?

And Windy Hill where a Goat Fell doesn’t make me feel any more confident. 

Go on, post the group pic. How do you cover your face anyway with all these these vegetables and emojis ? Do you need to do it on a PC or can you do it on an iPhone? 

Acht, the hills surrounding Glen Sannox are the scary ones that I never got to do.

The pic is just a work's group pic at the cairn with not much else to see.   I'd need to paste a number of vegetables 😅   (I just use my pc and cut and paste a bit of one pic onto another.)

I regret not having my own camera that day to take some more pics though.   The sea was all covered in white fluffy cloud, but the hills and most of the land were above in hot sunshine.

23 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Going up was fine for us. Coming down was horrific. Both my knees seized up and genuinely thought at one point I couldn’t go on. Needless to say for my upcoming trek I’ve been doing a lot of knee work!! 

Best of luck on your trip to the Andes. By the sounds of things you've barely broken your boots in, yet. Hope you don't get blisters. 😉 🤣

Aye enjoy. It's a trip i'd like to make one day. Someone pointed out that Edinburgh Castle is 300 years older than Machu Picchu to me when i mentioned i'd like to go once, which I thought was missing the point somewhat.

15 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Best of luck on your trip to the Andes. By the sounds of things you've barely broken your boots in, yet. Hope you don't get blisters. 😉 🤣

Since I got the boots they’ve been up Goat Fell, Conic Hill twice,  Ben A’an, Ben Vrackie, Schiehallion, Arthur’s Seat and a few country parks. They’re well broken in by now!! 

3 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Since I got the boots they’ve been up Goat Fell, Conic Hill twice,  Ben A’an, Ben Vrackie, Schiehallion, Arthur’s Seat and a few country parks. They’re well broken in by now!! 

One of my friends climbed to Everest base camp in 2019 and last year climbed Ama Dablam. The video of him hugging the sherpa at the top was unbelievably emotional. He is in his 60’s and is not your regular super fit ultra healthy person, he probably spends more time in the pub than is recommended but takes the training for these thing’s seriously. Absolutely no reason why you cannot do the same FB 👍😊

1 hour ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

6am swim in the freezing shark infested waters of the Atlantic Ocean... It was Baltic...😳👊🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

IMG_20230818_074016.jpg

U look like the loch Ness monster in this pic🤔😉😉😂