The Great Outdoors... - Page 13 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Great Outdoors...

On 2/21/2023 at 12:50 PM, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Dogs are brilliant. I have always had them, but as you say Kirk, it's heartbreaking when they pass. My boy Wallace loves the outdoors, as do I, so it's great companionship. I am retiring from work in 8 weeks, 36 years with the Water Dept. I am buying a boat for me and Wallace, as he loves water.. Fishing as often as Mrs.Ramy will allow me to..🤣🙂

Forgot to reply at the time. Aye i've never had one to lose so totally dreading it.  Aw youll enjoy your retirement and freedom im sure

55 minutes ago, phart said:

I was looking at the Highland Experience Tours just a couple of weeks ago.

Looks really good!

The Glen Coe/Loch Ness/Pitlochry tour is the most popular. Jump on anytime! My first tour guiding is Stirling Castle/Loch Lomond/Auchentoshan in a couple of weeks 🚌🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

I've started getting out a bit more over the last few weekends as I build my fitness ahead of Peru in September.  A couple of weeks ago we went round Falls of Clyde over at New Lanark and on Saturday there we went up through Mugdock near Milngavie.  Only about 12K each but it's a start!  Got a week off next week so hoping to do either Ben A'an or Ben Vrackie and continue to get more miles in the legs!

23 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I've started getting out a bit more over the last few weekends as I build my fitness ahead of Peru in September.  A couple of weeks ago we went round Falls of Clyde over at New Lanark and on Saturday there we went up through Mugdock near Milngavie.  Only about 12K each but it's a start!  Got a week off next week so hoping to do either Ben A'an or Ben Vrackie and continue to get more miles in the legs!

If you’re looking for a relatively local hill that would be good for your training I’d recommend Beinn an Lochain at the top of the Rest and be Thankful. Crackin hill and although it’s only a few metres short of a Munro, it’s a fairly quick up and down, mainly because it’s a relatively short/sharp accent/descent. The views at the top are well worth the effort. 

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/lochlomond/beinn-an-lochain.shtml

15 hours ago, Marky said:

If you’re looking for a relatively local hill that would be good for your training I’d recommend Beinn an Lochain at the top of the Rest and be Thankful. Crackin hill and although it’s only a few metres short of a Munro, it’s a fairly quick up and down, mainly because it’s a relatively short/sharp accent/descent. The views at the top are well worth the effort. 

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/lochlomond/beinn-an-lochain.shtml

Cheers, I'll add that to the list! 

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, McTeeko said:

28 years as a printer in a factory ffs. This is my job now. Wish I’d done it years ago! 🚌🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

169BEF88-6CF9-4881-9AF0-14E2C550B6CD.jpeg

Rest and be thankful..

I'm back out on the road now as well.

I'll keep a lookout for ya..👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

30 minutes ago, stocky said:

Rest and be thankful..

I'm back out on the road now as well.

I'll keep a lookout for ya..👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

I was supposed to be doing my PCV test this week but someone crashed the test bus a couple of weeks ago. It’s now been put back until May, in Glasgow now 😏

On 4/14/2023 at 6:23 PM, McTeeko said:

28 years as a printer in a factory ffs. This is my job now. Wish I’d done it years ago! 🚌🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

169BEF88-6CF9-4881-9AF0-14E2C550B6CD.jpeg

Some job! Dae ye just huv tae stand there? 😉

In all seriousness though, good on ye mate. Brilliant thing to do and glad yet enjoying it. 👍

On 4/17/2023 at 7:14 PM, AlfieMoon said:

Some job! Dae ye just huv tae stand there? 😉

In all seriousness though, good on ye mate. Brilliant thing to do and glad yet enjoying it. 👍

He also has lift up his kilt every time a coach-load of tourists passes by, so that his pal on the bus can explain some of the more unusual Scottish traditions. Not the best of jobs, but everybody has to start somewhere. 

Climbed Conic Hill at the weekend there.  Had been waiting to do it for a while as they'd closed it down while they made improvements to the path due to the amount of footfall it sees.  Was surprised, and a wee bit disappointed, at just how short it was!  We were up and down in little over an hour when I expected to to be closer to 3!  It was a beautiful day mind you and the views from the top were spectacular.

11 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Climbed Conic Hill at the weekend there.  Had been waiting to do it for a while as they'd closed it down while they made improvements to the path due to the amount of footfall it sees.  Was surprised, and a wee bit disappointed, at just how short it was!  We were up and down in little over an hour when I expected to to be closer to 3!  It was a beautiful day mind you and the views from the top were spectacular.

That's not much higher than Dundee Law.

Is that your training for Machu Picchu Done then? 😉