Slovakia v Scotland - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Slovakia v Scotland

Burj_Alba

24 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Am I right in saying that if Czech Rep and Israel draw tomorrow then we’ve won the group? If Czechs draw tomorrow then win their last game, they’ll finish on 10 points, even if we lose both games we’ll have 10 points but will beat Czechs on head to head. If Israel draw then win their last game they can only finish on 9 points. 

Obviously, none of this matters if we win first!

That is correct but we need as many points as possible to get a playoff spot.

4 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Of course we can, point is come end of normal qualification we will probably need to beat number 1 or 2 seeds, to get second in group. This is far far easier. 

Aye, sorry I misunderstood right enough. 

Yes, this is our best chance of a playoff. Winning both games will be difficult but if we beat Slovakia tomorrow then Israel will have nothing to play for on Wednesday. We’ve got a decent chance.

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

Aye, sorry I misunderstood right enough. 

Yes, this is our best chance of a playoff. Winning both games will be difficult but if we beat Slovakia tomorrow then Israel will have nothing to play for on Wednesday. We’ve got a decent chance.

Funny I remember having an argument with you about qualifying for the euros via the nations league. I was saying as all team were in theory of equal ability so at best we were 12/1 and we had a much better chance of being second behind Belgium. 

OK you win. 

11 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Theoretically could still get one if other group winners get auto qualification. Would love 6 more points though, really would be on a roll then. 

On the other hand theoretically 6 points might not be enough. Two of the League A group winners might finish 3rd in their WC groups. But as long as one of them finish 3rd behind us, that would be OK. :lol:

16 minutes ago, Archiesdad said:

I'm also sure if we win both games and other results go our way, we can sneak into pot 2 for World Cup draw.

I'm not sure of the exact compilation of results. But let's just won these 2 and take it from there👍

I could be wrong but I think we had to beat Serbia and also win our last 2 games to stand a chance of pot 2. 

35 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Funny I remember having an argument with you about qualifying for the euros via the nations league. I was saying as all team were in theory of equal ability so at best we were 12/1 and we had a much better chance of being second behind Belgium. 

OK you win. 

You would probably have been correct if Clarke had been in charge from the start of the campaign but the disaster in Kazakhstan made it almost impossible for us to finish ahead of Russia. 

Russia were quite strong as well so it was always going to be hard even if we had beaten Kazakhstan. 

Excellent, I have finally won an argument on here after years of trying. 😂

1 hour ago, Archiesdad said:

I'm also sure if we win both games and other results go our way, we can sneak into pot 2 for World Cup draw.

I'm not sure of the exact compilation of results. But let's just won these 2 and take it from there👍

http://www.weglobalfootball.com/2020/11/13/uefa-world-cup-2022-qualifying-pots-update/

This is handy.

20201114_175456.jpg

7 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Reading that very useful website. I'd say the odds are against us getting into Pot 2. We'd need to win both our remaining games and hope those above us in pot 3 and those in pot 2 loses their matches or fail to win. Stretching it a bit I'd say.

2 hours ago, The Black Bra said:

Am I right in saying that if Czech Rep and Israel draw tomorrow then we’ve won the group? If Czechs draw tomorrow then win their last game, they’ll finish on 10 points, even if we lose both games we’ll have 10 points but will beat Czechs on head to head. If Israel draw then win their last game they can only finish on 9 points. 

Obviously, none of this matters if we win first!

I was about to post the same thing but had that nagging feeling that i was missing something so if that is the case you can take the flak bb 😁

9 minutes ago, todd said:

I was about to post the same thing but had that nagging feeling that i was missing something so if that is the case you can take the flak bb 😁

Yes that would be the case (if Czechs draw with Israel) after a loss for us we'd win the group tomorrow. Lets be positive though and go for the win tomorrow and chase the remote possibility of a place in pot 2 which would vanish if we don't beat Slovakia.

18 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes that would be the case (if Czechs draw with Israel) after a loss for us we'd win the group tomorrow. Lets be positive though and go for the win tomorrow and chase the remote possibility of a place in pot 2 which would vanish if we don't beat Slovakia.

Are we guaranteed promotion to league A no matter what? Excuse my ignorance but bit pissed and cba working out the connotations 😁

41 minutes ago, todd said:

Are we guaranteed promotion to league A no matter what? Excuse my ignorance but bit pissed and cba working out the connotations 😁

Just to add to what Craig has already said we need 2 points from our last 2 games to guarantee winning the group and promotion to league A but we will likely need at least 4 points to stand a chance of a World Cup playoff. 6 points would be better. 

In all the celebrations, I hope that SSC can have the lads totally focused again on the game tomorrow as this is another big one, as mentioned previously by fellow posters and by SSC himself today.

With Robertson sounding unlikely to play, the debate is whether to play Tierney at LWB knowing that he probably couldn't then play in Israel with the way Arsenal and Scotland are managing him, play Taylor at LWB and Tierney at LCB or Taylor at LWB and one of Considine, McKenna or Cooper at LCB. It is a tough conundrum for Clarke particularly to ensure that we are as strong as we can be tomorrow. If SOD is replaced by Palmer, I wouldn't want to drop Tierney.

Further forward, it feels like McBurnie will replace Dykes up front but I would rather it was Griffiths myself. And in the midfield, McLean and Armstrong will likely replace Jack and McGregor to freshen that area up.

As such, I would likely go: Marshall; SOD, McTominay, Gallagher, Cooper, Tierney; Armstrong, McLean; Christie, Griffiths, McGinn.

But I think Clarke will go: Marshall; Palmer, McTominay, Gallagher, Cooper, Tierney; Armstrong, McLean; Christie, McBurnie, McGinn.

13 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

As such, I would likely go: Marshall; SOD, McTominay, Gallagher, Cooper, Tierney; Armstrong, McLean; Christie, Griffiths, McGinn.

But I think Clarke will go: Marshall; Palmer, McTominay, Gallagher, Cooper, Tierney; Armstrong, McLean; Christie, McBurnie, McGinn.

Well at least Clarke's selection would got a sod out of the side. 😉

23 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

In all the celebrations, I hope that SSC can have the lads totally focused again on the game tomorrow as this is another big one, as mentioned previously by fellow posters and by SSC himself today.

With Robertson sounding unlikely to play, the debate is whether to play Tierney at LWB knowing that he probably couldn't then play in Israel with the way Arsenal and Scotland are managing him, play Taylor at LWB and Tierney at LCB or Taylor at LWB and one of Considine, McKenna or Cooper at LCB. It is a tough conundrum for Clarke particularly to ensure that we are as strong as we can be tomorrow. If SOD is replaced by Palmer, I wouldn't want to drop Tierney.

Further forward, it feels like McBurnie will replace Dykes up front but I would rather it was Griffiths myself. And in the midfield, McLean and Armstrong will likely replace Jack and McGregor to freshen that area up.

McBurnies as laconic as Archibald but without the goals he offers nothing

26 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Hopefully Griffiths starts ahead of McBurnie. McBurnie is worth a squad place but he’s had multiple chances and would be nice to see Griffiths get the nod tomorrow 

I’m not sure if Griffiths is fit enough to start. Shankland might get a run out.