Under 21s (November 2020) - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Under 21s (November 2020)

PASTA Mick

21 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Both McCrories and Porteous back to under 21s. That might change if there are injuries in the senior squad. who will be the third goalie in senior squad? Bain, now that he has got a game under his belt?

I expect Robbie McCrorie will be in the senior squad when it's announced. Felt a bit sorry for Porteous last time, kicking his heels on the bench for the senior team.

22 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Both McCrories and Porteous back to under 21s. That might change if there are injuries in the senior squad. who will be the third goalie in senior squad? Bain, now that he has got a game under his belt?

It shouldn't be Bain, he hardly ever plays. It should be someone who is playing regularly like Zander Clark or Craig MacGillivray.

Just now, Malcolm said:

I’m worried about the goalie position in the medium term.  Who is coming through to replace Marshall?

There doesn't seem to be alot of young goalies coming through. Marshall is only 35 so he should be around for maybe 4 more years. We could do with Mccrorie or Kelly progressing to Marshalls level in the next couple of years. 

1 minute ago, ceudmilefailte said:

In that case Craig Gordon can come in place of McCrorie vastly experienced and

ever present this season. 

I wouldn't object to Gordon being called up as third choice.

That said in his final season at Celtic and in his final couple of Scotland caps he looked a sad shadow of the truly great keeper he once was. :(

4 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

There doesn't seem to be alot of young goalies coming through. Marshall is only 35 so he should be around for maybe 4 more years. We could do with Mccrorie or Kelly progressing to Marshalls level in the next couple of years. 

Kelly needs to get a move on. Fully fit but no football at all for QPR this season as far as I can see. 

The QPR fans on their forums remarked that he looked really nervous and made a number of poor decisions when he had a run of games for them last year.

1 hour ago, Burj_Alba said:

BTW good looking squad, would be brilliant if we qualified. Finals in Hungary and Slovakia.

Probably one of the strongest u21s squads we've seen in a while. You could make an argument for 8 or 9 of those players being involved with the senior squad in the next 12 months. Normally I'd expect 2 or 3 at most.

Echoing what many have said, but what a very decent squad that is.

Strength all over.

Campbell, Ferguson, Hornby, Ashby, Porteous, Turnbull, McCrorie will all surely be pushing for for the A squad in the next 18 months. A few others too Paterson, Magennis, Kennedy and Hickey are fantastic talents coming through.

It's a decent squad but there doesn't seem to be many outstanding talents that are u22 atm apart from Gilmour and maybe Turnbull. Compare that with 4 years ago when there was 6 or 7 guys that were clearly going to be epl level and were mostly fast tracked to the main squad. Guys like burke, Mcginn, mctominay, fraser robertson, Tierney were too good for the u21s and pretty much bypassed it. 

Saying that there is some good players in there that have lots of first team experience who might develop into top players. Hickey and ferguson look to be ones who can play at a high level in the future. 

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

It's a decent squad but there doesn't seem to be many outstanding talents that are u22 atm apart from Gilmour and maybe Turnbull. Compare that with 4 years ago when there was 6 or 7 guys that were clearly going to be epl level and were mostly fast tracked to the main squad. Guys like burke, Mcginn, mctominay, fraser robertson, Tierney were too good for the u21s and pretty much bypassed it. 

Saying that there is some good players in there that have lots of first team experience who might develop into top players. Hickey and ferguson look to be ones who can play at a high level in the future. 

That’s pretty much the opposite to what I think about this squad.

McTominay also didn’t play any age group football for us. 

39 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

That’s pretty much the opposite to what I think about this squad.

McTominay also didn’t play any age group football for us. 

I never said he did. He was fast tracked as were the others I mentioned for the most part. 

Theres some decent players in our youth squads but who do you see as genuine epl quality in those squads?

Turnbull and Gilmour is the only ones I can defo say will play at a high level and even those two have a long way to go. 

35 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I never said he did. He was fast tracked as were the others I mentioned for the most part. 

Theres some decent players in our youth squads but who do you see as genuine epl quality in those squads?

Turnbull and Gilmour is the only ones I can defo say will play at a high level and even those two have a long way to go. 

Hickey already playing at a high level tbf but we’ll see how he does over a season. 

3 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Did they say if he is there to play or just to train and meet the other players ? He must have only just started training again.

It's a real surprise. It's ideal for Chelsea I guess as a way of getting him back to fitness so he must be there to play, even if it's only a part.

8 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

It's a real surprise. It's ideal for Chelsea I guess as a way of getting him back to fitness so he must be there to play, even if it's only a part.

Great that he is joining up and wants to be part of the squad but Lampard would go ballistic if he played in either match and got injured again. More likely he will join the squad for training. Could be a big player in the finals if we get there.