Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 102 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

47 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Patterson has a greater transfer value than Tavernier. 

Well Tavernier's value will drop every half year. So they should cash in now. Give Patterson a couple of years and then make mega bucks on him as well. It's a win-win from a business point of view. Though selling their captain won't exactly ingratiate them with the fans.

19 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Well Tavernier's value will drop every half year. So they should cash in now. Give Patterson a couple of years and then make mega bucks on him as well. It's a win-win from a business point of view. Though selling their captain won't exactly ingratiate them with the fans.

I’ve been so impressed with Patterson and in terms of his potential it looks like he could do anything in the game. As I expected he’s got exponentially better with every game. 

I can see him having a similar value to Tierney in the near future. If he can show up well in the Champions League then I don’t think Rangers will be able to keep him. 

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

Patterson has a greater transfer value than Tavernier. 

Im not sure id agree that Patterson would be worth more right now but in any event, Taverniers value will never be higher than it is now whereas Pattersons is likely to rise quite abit if he gets games and performs well.

1 minute ago, Diamond Scot said:

Im not sure id agree that Patterson would be worth more right now but in any event, Taverniers value will never be higher than it is now whereas Pattersons is likely to rise quite abit if he gets games and performs well.

I guess it would be symptomatic of the short-termism in football. Over 4 years Patterson is worth more than Tavernier, including a further sell on fee. Then again Juve paid about €100M for a 33 year old. 

54 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I’ve been so impressed with Patterson and in terms of his potential it looks like he could do anything in the game. As I expected he’s got exponentially better with every game. 

I can see him having a similar value to Tierney in the near future. If he can show up well in the Champions League then I don’t think Rangers will be able to keep him. 

I think that’s a fairly accurate statement on Patterson.

Atleast we don’t now need to try and shoe horn a left back or pick a sub standard right back as we appear to have one capable playing at a very good level who has potential to possibly be in the same ability bracket as our best players in the future. 

23 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

I think that’s a fairly accurate statement on Patterson.

Atleast we don’t now need to try and shoe horn a left back or pick a sub standard right back as we appear to have one capable playing at a very good level who has potential to possibly be in the same ability bracket as our best players in the future. 

Slowly but surely our problem positions are being resolved. I am a big fan of O'Donnell, but he's in his late 20s, and will need replaced eventually. So it's great to have Patterson as a ready made replacement that can make that position his own.

Dykes is in the form of his life, in front of goal. If he can maintain this, the striker position will be looking comfortable as well.

Apparently Hendry has won some sort of award in Belgium, too. Plus the likes of McKenna is only going to get better as well. 

5 hours ago, bazmidd said:

You can separate some of that though. Yes Tuchel has done a brilliant job at Chelsea on the whole, but that does not mean he has been perfect, he isn't exempt from criticism as this situation proves he hasn't got everything right. He is a manager, and he hasn't managed this situation brilliantly Whether this was Gilmour or anyone else in the squad it is clear as day that situation has not been managed well. And I completely disagree that he is not good enough for Chelsea as he has already proved he can play in that team every single time he has been given a chance in the past, the problem right now is he is not being given that chance by Tuchel.

ETA Chelsea played out a drab draw and probably should have been beaten last night and Gilmour was still left kicking his heels on the bench. He just needs a chance

Good post.

Before his injury Gilmour was a semi-regular for Chelsea, now he can't even get on as a sub in a home league game against run-of-the-mill opposition.

Frank Lampard and Roy Keane - two of the best midfielders to have played in the English game in the past 20 years, and the latter a notoriously difficult man to please - both rated him highly. His talent shouldn't be in doubt, but for some reason his potential is being stifled by the stubbornness of his current club manager.

I still look back to the first FA Cup game where Gilmour came out for the 2nd half and his face could tell a thousand stories. He looked fuming and it looked like he either had an argument with Tuchel or he had a right roasting from him or both. He then looked to play in a different position and roll in the 2nd half and since then he has struggled for any game time. I still think he should be in our squad and get some time with the players in training and maybe then Clarke might see what he has and give him a game. 

1 minute ago, stitch said:

I still look back to the first FA Cup game where Gilmour came out for the 2nd half and his face could tell a thousand stories. He looked fuming and it looked like he either had an argument with Tuchel or he had a right roasting from him or both. He then looked to play in a different position and roll in the 2nd half and since then he has struggled for any game time. I still think he should be in our squad and get some time with the players in training and maybe then Clarke might see what he has and give him a game. 

Seem to recall brown taking a few of the u21s to France 98 to give them a feel for it and keep the squad on their toes in training , I think gilmour should be in the squad though 

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

Good post.

Before his injury Gilmour was a semi-regular for Chelsea, now he can't even get on as a sub in a home league game against run-of-the-mill opposition.

Frank Lampard and Roy Keane - two of the best midfielders to have played in the English game in the past 20 years, and the latter a notoriously difficult man to please - both rated him highly. His talent shouldn't be in doubt, but for some reason his potential is being stifled by the stubbornness of his current club manager.

Tuchel was brought in to get Champions League football for next year, it's not the time for a relatively untested 20 year old when he has other proven options, I wish it weren't so for our sake but it's really no mystery why he isn't getting game time, the pressure on that squad right now is huge especially with the other teams around them, and why didn't go out on loan? Same reason, Tuchel wasn't under any pressure to reduce his squad and acting in the best short term interests of his employers he kept all his options available. 

2 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Tuchel was brought in to get Champions League football for next year, it's not the time for a relatively untested 20 year old when he has other proven options, I wish it weren't so for our sake but it's really no mystery why he isn't getting game time, the pressure on that squad right now is huge especially with the other teams around them, and why didn't go out on loan? Same reason, Tuchel wasn't under any pressure to reduce his squad and acting in the best short term interests of his employers he kept all his options available. 

I understand what Tuchel was brought in to do and what his main priorities are.  Chelsea are an ambitious club and anyone managing them is under pressure to achieve things.  Man United were (and are) an ambitious club too, yet being only 20 and relatively untested didn't stop the young Darren Fletcher getting game time until he eventually became a first team regular. 

I am not suggesting Gilmour should be a first team regular at this stage (although I notice Mason Mount, who is only slightly older than him, is) but the fact that Tuchel has lost the services of a couple of midfielders already and instead prefers to play people out of position rather than give Gilmour game time suggests to me that he isn't interested in him.  In which case, not letting him go out on loan benefits neither the club or the player. 

4 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Wright and McLaughlin start for Rangers.

Patterson on the bench. He's been dropped to give Tav minutes before the quarter final.

On a side note what is going on with this appeal? It was supposed to be finished yesterday and we still haven't heard a thing.

Think it’s been shifted to tomorrow 

39 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I understand what Tuchel was brought in to do and what his main priorities are.  Chelsea are an ambitious club and anyone managing them is under pressure to achieve things.  Man United were (and are) an ambitious club too, yet being only 20 and relatively untested didn't stop the young Darren Fletcher getting game time until he eventually became a first team regular. 

I am not suggesting Gilmour should be a first team regular at this stage (although I notice Mason Mount, who is only slightly older than him, is) but the fact that Tuchel has lost the services of a couple of midfielders already and instead prefers to play people out of position rather than give Gilmour game time suggests to me that he isn't interested in him.  In which case, not letting him go out on loan benefits neither the club or the player. 

At the time Tuchel came in there was only a short time to allow Gilmour to leave, I'm disappointed he didn't go out on loan or in the months since appointment, have more game time. I cant speak to Fletcher really but I dare say the circumstances were different for Man Utd. Tuchel probably has a decent bonus incentive to get Chelsea into the Champions League, opting for players out of position likely means Gilmour will move in the summer or they are coaching him something more to what they want. Gilmour will be a great player for club and country but I feel this season circumstances have gone against him. Chelsea may cash in on him, as they need more creativity most of their midfielders are very similar. 

Rangers on loan perhaps for next year, heck even Celtic if they can get their manager situation resolved there would be plenty suitors who would love him I don't think Chelsea will be his long term home. 

44 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Che Adams is starting v Spurs and should have had a goal

5 yards out. One on one with the keeper. All he had to was pass it into the net... he hit the keeper.

Did the exact same thing against WBA. At least this time he hit the target.

Edited by Taylor1996