Coronavirus - Page 415 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

16 hours ago, phart said:

The worst thing is "Monkey" is a misnomer apparently it's rodents that theĀ reservoir for it.Ā 

Pet rats may harbour deadly fever ā€ŗ News in Science (ABC Science)

Is it just me, or does anyone else prefer the rat?

And as for letting dogs lick you face...Ā Ā  šŸ˜›

At a wedding on Sunday.Ā Ā  Anyway so far so good.

Great seeing extended family again, and struggling to keep up with latest marital changes, never mid whose kids are whose.Ā Ā  Someone's going to get the Xmas do on the road again.Ā Ā  First since 2019 šŸ„³

I feel I've aged about 10 years though.

5 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

At a wedding on Sunday.Ā Ā  Anyway so far so good.

Great seeing extended family again, and struggling to keep up with latest marital changes, never mid whose kids are whose.Ā Ā  Someone's going to get the Xmas do on the road again.Ā Ā  First since 2019 šŸ„³

I feel I've aged about 10 years though.

I was at a wedding on Sunday as well,Ā  masks at the start, at the end of the night it was aw cuddling and sharing of hipflasksšŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

On 5/24/2022 at 8:05 PM, phart said:

They didn't seem too concerned. Cited R0 of under 1, secondary attack rate of 10%.

Turns out been isolated explosions of it from time to time as well. Normally peter out pretty quickly.

Also smallpox vaccine works for it too

Which is amusing to see various anti-vaxxer saying things like this:

https://external-preview.redd.it/htJ61IqUsZ8hO6Cm9V3-lI3tyiPn1W2l2_DHrdqwneU.jpg?auto=webp&s=52b78c8b3c9bb3ae21eeed8efbee36345181a610

On 5/26/2022 at 6:06 AM, bonzo said:

I was at a wedding on Sunday as well,Ā  masks at the start, at the end of the night it was aw cuddling and sharing of hipflasksšŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

I was at one on Saturday.Ā 

Been to 6 ot 7 since March 2022 and finally good to be at one without a mask in sight.

im hearing of a few cases of covid locally, just anecdotal but feels like itā€™s circulating. Ā Still very glad to be out of lock down. I fear that we are about to pay for our heavy handed lockdowns with a global recession the likes of which we have not seen in my lifetime.

2 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

im hearing of a few cases of covid locally, just anecdotal but feels like itā€™s circulating. Ā Still very glad to be out of lock down. I fear that we are about to pay for our heavy handed lockdowns with a global recession the likes of which we have not seen in my lifetime.

There's two new variants of omicron circulating. They're slowly increasing their percentage of the cases. These waves have happened already in a couple of countries (SA and portugal) and thankfully haven't been comparable to the earlier waves in regards to hospital admissions and deaths.

Currently circulating in younger age groups atm as well.

Ā 

2 hours ago, phart said:

There's two new variants of omicron circulating. They're slowly increasing their percentage of the cases. These waves have happened already in a couple of countries (SA and portugal) and thankfully haven't been comparable to the earlier waves in regards to hospital admissions and deaths.

Ā 

interesting, thanks for the info. Ā We absolutely can not lock down again, it will be catastrophic for living standards. Ā I am starting to see encouragement from workplaces to go back to the officeā€¦ not seeing many folk take that offer up. Itā€™s game over for businesses that rely on commuter spend.

Ā 

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

interesting, thanks for the info. Ā We absolutely can not lock down again, it will be catastrophic for living standards. Ā I am starting to see encouragement from workplaces to go back to the officeā€¦ not seeing many folk take that offer up. Itā€™s game over for businesses that rely on commuter spend.

Ā 

I doubt we'll need anything like a lockdown at all. The vaccination program absolutely decoupled the cases to hospitalisation/deaths rate. Then the omicron explosion added even more mitigation for that.

Barring major changes in the virus lockdown is just not going to be a tool that can be used.

Obviously i'd like more spending on health and help for those affected financially and especially for things like long-covid. The after effects are no where near being fully understood yet.

11 hours ago, phart said:

Ā 

Why do they always seem to start in Scotland before England now?

8 hours ago, phart said:

I doubt we'll need anything like a lockdown at all. The vaccination program absolutely decoupled the cases to hospitalisation/deaths rate. Then the omicron explosion added even more mitigation for that.

Ā 

Until the vaccine wanes and we either don't get boosters out to those who need it on time or now one bothers to go because they think its all over.....

18 minutes ago, Lamia said:

Why do they always seem to start in Scotland before England now?

Not sure might be population density in the central belt or something(London for example has took off first in England a few times). Be interesting to see someone who knew what they were talking about investigating it. (as opposed to me baselessly speculating)

I'm not even sure it is a case of always either but I know it has happened the last 2 times. Summer 2020 England was getting cases quicker which bucks the current trend.

I was thinking it always seemed to start quicker in Scotland too though so went and checked and it isn't always the case.

19 minutes ago, Lamia said:

Until the vaccine wanes and we either don't get boosters out to those who need it on time or now one bothers to go because they think its all over.....

It's not really waned yet for protection against hospitalisation and deaths. It's not going to be over ever now. Pre-covid we had 4 human coronaviruses we now have 5.

2022 still has covid as the 3rd leading cause of death according to ONS stats it was 1st in 2020/21.

8% of over 90 males have died of covid as well.

They're going to need to make a choice soon for boosters, which flavour they are going to be, then by the time they make them the substancial risk we're onto a significantly different variant being the dominant strain.

• 2 weeks later...

That's the new omicron variants dominant now in the UK. We'll start getting an increase again. Hopefully like the countries ahead of us just a small bump in the road.

Not sure anyone that interested anymore though :D

Ā 

1 hour ago, phart said:

That's the new omicron variants dominant now in the UK. We'll start getting an increase again. Hopefully like the countries ahead of us just a small bump in the road.

Ā 

I am - think I've probably got it as my good wife tested positive this morning.Ā  Hiding at the far end of the office trying not to breath on people and will likely be WFH for 5 days from tomorrow if test positive tonight.Ā 

Free-be golf day tomorrow and all so first world problems.Ā 

Why couldn't she be cool and have Monkeypox.Ā  Ā Ā 

6 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

I am - think I've probably got it as my good wife tested positive this morning.Ā  Hiding at the far end of the office trying not to breath on people and will likely be WFH for 5 days from tomorrow if test positive tonight.Ā 

Hopefully you both barely notice it.

17 minutes ago, phart said:

Hopefully you both barely notice it.

Cheers mate - wife has chest infection then tested positive at the doctors. Three folk in work wiped out by it too apparently.

I'm still negative so a night in the spare room on the lumpy settee bed awaits - at least this time it's through no fault of my own and I understand the timescale involved before being allowed to return!

18 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Can't see any need to miss the golf. You'll probably spend most of the in the trees well away from other folk anyway.Ā šŸ˜‚

11 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Cheers mate - wife has chest infection then tested positive at the doctors. Three folk in work wiped out by it too apparently.

I'm still negative so a night in the spare room on the lumpy settee bed awaits - at least this time it's through no fault of my own and I understand the timescale involved before being allowed to return!

You might not catch it off her. When my better half got it, and I didn't, I was quite surprised. Then I did a bit of reading up on it. Turns out the infection rate within a household is lower than I had thought. I think it was about 30-35% from memory. Still much higher than the general population but not as bad as I had thought. Before I read up on it, I just assumed it would be close to 100%. You should probably lay off any exchange of bodily fluids for a couple of weeks though.

20 hours ago, phart said:

Ā 

Aye, it's kinda gone off my radar a wee bit. Maybe a bit of complacency but I've been pretty much back to normal for a few months now, and have managed to avoid catching it. As far as I'm aware anyway. I'll probably get it tomorrow now after tempting fate.Ā šŸ¤£

I won't be going anywhere near Mrs Thistle, though.

8 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Aye, it's kinda gone off my radar a wee bit. Maybe a bit of complacency but I've been pretty much back to normal for a few months now, and have managed to avoid catching it. As far as I'm aware anyway. I'll probably get it tomorrow now after tempting fate.Ā šŸ¤£

I won't be going anywhere near Mrs Thistle, though.

I've started going back to the gym last month. really early where it is pretty much dead, but still...

I hope I dont get it soon. I have two exams in the next 5 days, brain fog is the last thing I need. Folk are already complaining about how hard the open book exams are and how little time there is to complete them. Saying they wish they were done in exam hall. There was a 20% drop in average mark. Standardisation will sort it out but they're sounding brutal.

Iā€™ve got it. First time and I have been travelling to work the entire pandemic. Was on holiday last week and was the first time I have not worn my mask on transport or in shops since it began. No idea if it is a coincidence or not.Ā 
I am feeling dreadful. First symptoms came on Friday, shivers, fatigue and aching bones. Sore throat and blocked ears. Lack of appetite. Took a test and it was negative. Ā Was still bad on Sunday so took another test. Still negative. Another test on Monday , solid positive. Same on Tuesday. Ā I am still unwell. Was due back at work on Tuesday. Tried wfh Tues and Wed and had to give up. Ā I am struggling to eat. No energy. Sleeping most of the time.Ā 
Most of the cold symptoms have gone which makes me feel like a fraud but I cannot explain the overwhelming tiredness and lack of concentration .Ā 
What i have are classed as mild symptoms, I cannot imagine how people who have had medium to severe symptoms must have felt.Ā 

12 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Mr Tidy feels your pain.Ā