General Election 2019 - Page 48 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

General Election 2019

18 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Tomkins kind of has a point in that indyref2 wasn't explicitly mentioned. It's coded behind 'future in Scotland's hands', and 'right to choose a different path'.

But even the dogs in the street know that a vote for the SNP also meant a vote for indyref2.

Of course but if you have a leaflet in which the front page is Lock Boris out then of course that's going to be mentioned.

The argument isn't whether the SNP wants indyref2 it's whether the radio dude exile heard was "justified" in saying what they did. Sure "main" might be wrong he should have said explicitly campaigned on.

I read the post remembered the leaflet i got through explicitly mentioning those things so posted it, now folk seem to be debating whether voting indyref2 is a main aim, which seems facile cause it obviously is.

15 minutes ago, phart said:

Of course but if you have a leaflet in which the front page is Lock Boris out then of course that's going to be mentioned.

The argument isn't whether the SNP wants indyref2 it's whether the radio dude exile heard was "justified" in saying what they did. Sure "main" might be wrong he should have said explicitly campaigned on.

I read the post remembered the leaflet i got through explicitly mentioning those things so posted it, now folk seem to be debating whether voting indyref2 is a main aim, which seems facile cause it obviously is.

On the other hand, the Tories campaigned on a pretty unequivocal message of "Tell her again".  

You can't campaign on the basis that every vote for the SNP is a vote for IndyRef2 and then try and claim that actually it wasn't.  Well you can do that obviously but not with any credibility.  

3 minutes ago, aaid said:

On the other hand, the Tories campaigned on a pretty unequivocal message of "Tell her again".  

You can't campaign on the basis that every vote for the SNP is a vote for IndyRef2 and then try and claim that actually it wasn't.  Well you can do that obviously but not with any credibility.  

Again an argument i have no objection too. I just realised it was probably Adam Tomkins as opposed to some random media member who said it.

27 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Is that true though? 

Yes, it's half true. But the other half of the truth is that the Tories claimed they had "put the union on the ballot paper". If that was really the case, then a SNP victory should put the debate to bed. But suddenly, the Tories don't want to talk about indyref. 

Also, it ignores  the fact that the ultimate aim of SNP is independence, and Brexit + Johnson in Downing St could actually serve SNP ends. 

Still, as far as we know, the Tories have won resoundingly, at least in England, whereas it's not clear what the result will be in Scotland. SNP could still falter. Curtice said it was the least reliable part of their poll. Until I see the first marginal seat in Scotland, I won't be convinced the exit poll is working in Scotland. 

3 minutes ago, exile said:

Yes, it's half true. But the other half of the truth is that the Tories claimed they had "put the union on the ballot paper". If that was really the case, then a SNP victory should put the debate to bed. But suddenly, the Tories don't want to talk about indyref. 

Also, it ignores  the fact that the ultimate aim of SNP is independence, and Brexit + Johnson in Downing St could actually serve SNP ends. 

Still, as far as we know, the Tories have won resoundingly, at least in England, whereas it's not clear what the result will be in Scotland. SNP could still falter. Curtice said it was the least reliable part of their poll. Until I see the first marginal seat in Scotland, I won't be convinced the exit poll is working in Scotland. 

Good point. 

Aye id be wary of Scotland’s exit polls as well but probably be a good night from an SNP perspective.

1 minute ago, aaid said:

Ian Davidson, where the fuck did the BBC dig him up from.    I presume based on his analysis he's been doing stand up for the last four years. 

If the Brexit party didn't stand in Blyth their votes would have gone to Labour and they would have won....😂😂

That's what he was trying to say!

Reports that police removed ballot papers in Paisley

from BBC

Police have been pictured removing ballot papers from a counting centre in Paisley, near Glasgow.

The move comes over allegations of impersonation - where one person votes by impersonating another - in the area.

3 minutes ago, iainmac1 said:

Tories think they might have held onto Moray. That will throw the exit poll in the air.

Yep. And Sarah Smith tweeting that Labour think Ian Murray will hold. 

Exit poll could well be setting SNP up for a bit of a fall. 

I think I read somewhere that it was only based on 3 Scottish constituencies. Curtice was very wary of it. 

12 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

Comedy viewing that guy. I’ve never seen him before. 

Now we’ve got Neil Findlay on STV. Great. 

Former Labour MPmin Glasgow.  Threatened to give Elidh Whiteford a doing in 2011 and said in 2013 that all you'd have to do after No won the referendum would be to "bayonet the wounded".   A real nasty piece of work.  Lost his seat to Chris Stephens in 2015.

This is the usual phoney war you get on election nights with three and a half hours of speculation based on the exit poll, followed by a couple of early declarations with everyone trying to extrapolate from that and the picture only becoming clearer once the results start to come in