What is our best starting 11? - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What is our best starting 11?

Rohan

1 hour ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I've watched a lot of Sheffield United (for obvious reasons) and I've been impressed by Fleck's transformation from attacking midfielder to anchorman. It's best to reserve judgement till the end of the season.

Sheffield United won't get relegated.

True. You could also add Arfield and McCarthy to the mix.

The way that people talk, though, it's like those three could play for Man City or Barcelona, etc. Some people see Christie, Forrest and McGregor swagger around the SPL and get spellbound. I think more people should watch better leagues.

Personally, I've lost 100% interest in Scottish football. Don't even watch Sportscene anymore.

Most Scottish midfielders transform from attacking midfielder to 'anchorman' as their club managers realise they're not good enough to be attacking midfielders

1 hour ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I've watched a lot of Sheffield United (for obvious reasons) and I've been impressed by Fleck's transformation from attacking midfielder to anchorman. It's best to reserve judgement till the end of the season.

Sheffield United won't get relegated.

True. You could also add Arfield and McCarthy to the mix.

The way that people talk, though, it's like those three could play for Man City or Barcelona, etc. Some people see Christie, Forrest and McGregor swagger around the SPL and get spellbound. I think more people should watch better leagues.

Personally, I've lost 100% interest in Scottish football. Don't even watch Sportscene anymore.

Can understand why people might switch off from Scottish football as to the purist it's not a high standard. Personally i enjoy it most of the time. 

To completely write off any player who plays in the league is ridiculous though. To me Christie is a class act and I think would be a regular starter in middle to lower half of the league. I then think he could improve further. What makes you think he would struggle in England other than "he plays in Scotland therefore he's shit"? 

McGregor is neat and tidy but not overly fussed for him and for me Forrest has been a stand out at club level and while inconsistent with Scotland, would be a decent player in England. He's better than Christian Atsu or someone like that. 

2 hours ago, Bino's said:

Most Scottish midfielders transform from attacking midfielder to 'anchorman' as their club managers realise they're not good enough to be attacking midfielders

True. There's a few instances that are noteworthy, though, like Lambert. 

1 hour ago, gonzohiggy said:

Can understand why people might switch off from Scottish football as to the purist it's not a high standard. Personally i enjoy it most of the time. 

To completely write off any player who plays in the league is ridiculous though. To me Christie is a class act and I think would be a regular starter in middle to lower half of the league. I then think he could improve further. What makes you think he would struggle in England other than "he plays in Scotland therefore he's shit"? 

McGregor is neat and tidy but not overly fussed for him and for me Forrest has been a stand out at club level and while inconsistent with Scotland, would be a decent player in England. He's better than Christian Atsu or someone like that. 

I don't get people who question why someone would support foreign teams as opposed to Scottish teams. Scottish football is probably the most unequal league in world football. You could slip into a coma during the first week of the season, slip out of it after the league finishes and you'd know who won the SPL. That isn't short, sport is unpredictable. The SPL is corrupt.

Nah. It was obvious when Laudrup, Larsson, De Boer, Di Canio, etc, were in the SPL you could see that they were stars. The likes of Christie, Brown, Forrest, are much too scared to test themselves against better teams and players, therefore, you really can't tell how good they are. I mean, they're playing against free transfers every single week. How can the possibly improve? 

When those three score in the SPL, or do anything, it doesn't cut any ice with me.

McGregor is like Lingard. Lingard takes untold abuse from the United fans, it would be the same for McGregor if he joined a top 6 team.

4 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

True. There's a few instances that are noteworthy, though, like Lambert. 

I don't get people who question why someone would support foreign teams as opposed to Scottish teams. Scottish football is probably the most unequal league in world football. You could slip into a coma during the first week of the season, slip out of it after the league finishes and you'd know who won the SPL. That isn't short, sport is unpredictable. The SPL is corrupt.

Nah. It was obvious when Laudrup, Larsson, De Boer, Di Canio, etc, were in the SPL you could see that they were stars. The likes of Christie, Brown, Forrest, are much too scared to test themselves against better teams and players, therefore, you really can't tell how good they are. I mean, they're playing against free transfers every single week. How can the possibly improve? 

When those three score in the SPL, or do anything, it doesn't cut any ice with me.

McGregor is like Lingard. Lingard takes untold abuse from the United fans, it would be the same for McGregor if he joined a top 6 team.

Larsson etc were significantly better than Christie, Macgregor and Forrest but that's not really the point. The point is you can still be a good player but play in Scotland and in some cases be capable of succeeding in epl.

Players from the Scottish Premiership may succeed in epl or may not depending on the club they choose /how they adapt to the league / how good they are like players from any other country. It's not linear. There is clear evidence that Scottish Premiership players CAN succeed in Epl, Van Dijk, Robertson, Wanyama, McGinn, McLean, Naismith, S Fletcher etc. 

10 minutes ago, gonzohiggy said:

Larsson etc were significantly better than Christie, Macgregor and Forrest but that's not really the point. The point is you can still be a good player but play in Scotland and in some cases be capable of succeeding in epl.

Players from the Scottish Premiership may succeed in epl or may not depending on the club they choose /how they adapt to the league / how good they are like players from any other country. It's not linear. There is clear evidence that Scottish Premiership players CAN succeed in Epl, Van Dijk, Robertson, Wanyama, McGinn, McLean, Naismith, S Fletcher etc. 

I'm far from hailing all teams in the EPL as football giants. Far from it. You could take the bottom half of the EPL, swap them for the top half of the Championship, you wouldn't notice.

The way that some people hail McGregor and Christie is nauseating. It's not like those two are the Tartan Zidane and Michael Laudrup. McAllister had his detractors, but he oozed class. As did Collins and Lambert. Hell, if you offered me a prime Stuart McCall over McGregor AND Christie, I'd take McCall in a heartbeat.

Approx 8 Scots set to start in the epl this weekend

With further 4 benched

A higher no compared to fabled 2007 team and the epl is much stronger 10 years on

We do not lack the talent, just the correct application

Edited by Bino's

7 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I'm far from hailing all teams in the EPL as football giants. Far from it. You could take the bottom half of the EPL, swap them for the top half of the Championship, you wouldn't notice. 

Man Utd fans would notice hahaha. 

10 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

People here do actually rate those three.

No one could make that up.

The way that some people hail McGregor and Christie is nauseating. It's not like those two are the Tartan Zidane and Michael Laudrup. McAllister had his detractors, but he oozed class. As did Collins and Lambert. Hell, if you offered me a prime Stuart McCall over McGregor AND Christie, I'd take McCall in a heartbeat.

Ppl don't rate those players highly in terms of world football, no one in here has ever said Christie or Forrest are world beaters or could play for top 6. Not sure where you have gotten that idea from. 

I rate players who play for Aberdeen like Lewis Ferguson or Scott McKenna for example but it doesn't mean I think they will play for top 6 epl teams or that they could play at international level. They are players that can cut it at spl level and are good at that level.

Christie, McGregor and Forrest are decent players imo, doesn't mean they are world beaters, pretty much anyone with some common sense can tell you that and no one in here has ever claimed they are. What they are is good players who could probably play for lower half epl teams. You also don't need to be a world beater to be good at international level. Under good management we should be able to utilize these players and get results if you add them in with our other players from the epl. What I don't understand is expectations. You seem to think that we should have a team made up of top 6 epl players. Sorry but that's a pipe dream. Never going to happen anytime soon. We will always be reliant on guys like christie, Forrest and McGregor for the foreseeable future. As I have said before poorer squads with lesser players get better results than us.

I would fancy the likes of Bournemouth or Southampton to beat the top half championship teams quite comfortably. Also the top half of the championship has some good players who are well capable at international level so I don't understand your point. Are suggesting you can't be a good player unless you play for the top 6 in England.

4 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

I would fancy the likes of Bournemouth or Southampton to beat the top half championship teams quite comfortably. Also the top half of the championship has some good players who are well capable at international level so I don't understand your point. Are suggesting you can't be a good player unless you play for the top 6 in England.

Well, I meant top half at the end of the season. Bournemouth will probably end the season in the top half.

Nah. I'm suggesting that half of the EPL is woeful. Watching Watford vs Southampton, etc, should replace prison. At least we know there'll never be repeat offenders.

On 10/18/2019 at 12:38 AM, mccaughey85 said:

Finally an anchorman is a central midfielder, any player who plays in front of the centre backs and between the wingers is a central midfielder.

Aberdeen played two defenders in the anchormen positions today and apparently ran the show. When the lineup was revealed before the match, the Aberdeen fans we're reportedly confused.

This is part of the problem. Scottish football fans aren't knowledgeable when it comes to football. The "PUNT IT INTO THE BOX!!" and "Get the ball up the park as quickly as possible!" Is woven in the Scottish DNA.

Pretty much the reason i would rip up Scottish football and begin reconstruction.

It's not just the players that lack football IQ.

Just look at Kirk Broadfoot's embarrassing comments about the Kilmarnock manager's training methods. "“I know Alessio has worked at some top clubs with top players but I’m not sure it was right for the guys we had at Kilmarnock"

It's this lack of imagination and progression that's holding back Scottish football. It's an admittance of an inferiority complex. "Italians and all the superstars that the manager has worked with can do it, but not us. We prefer running up and down hills for hours. Who cares about shape and positions, etc. We don't need shape and skill training, we just want to run! Running is good. Running is God!"

Still tickles me when I was ridiculed about Robertson playing as anchornan. Few will know that John McGinn was a left back when he began his career, fewer will know that Eric Cantona played in goals in his youth. (I'm not kidding)

On 10/19/2019 at 8:53 AM, Bino's said:

Approx 8 Scots set to start in the epl this weekend

With further 4 benched

A higher no compared to fabled 2007 team and the epl is much stronger 10 years on

We do not lack the talent, just the correct application

The problem we have is that we have positions where there is no real quality and other positions where we have a few good options.

Our midfield is decent and our left-back options are excellent.

Our RB, CB and CF options are pretty dreadful.  

6 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

The problem we have is that we have positions where there is no real quality and other positions where we have a few good options.

You missed out goalkeeper which is fast becoming a massive worry.

On 10/25/2019 at 1:12 PM, PASTA Mick said:

Palmer will do at right back

And I remember when Berti pitched pressley and webster in cause had nowt else, got us to a play off

We just need to find a partnership

Strikers, mcburnie and gilmour are two that are around the epl and why haven't we tried griff again

10 hours ago, Bino's said:

Palmer will do at right back

And I remember when Berti pitched pressley and webster in cause had nowt else, got us to a play off

We just need to find a partnership

Strikers, mcburnie and gilmour are two that are around the epl and why haven't we tried griff again

Gilmour isn't a striker. Plays centre of midfield.