Jump to content
vanderark14

Russia V Scotland - Match Thread

Recommended Posts

So, I've booked to go see The Fairwell at 7.30pm this evening with my girlfriend rather than putting myself through yet another crushing disappointment. I didn't take the decision lightly, and I'm still kind of ashamed of myself, but hey. I just can't handle another abject performance and gubbing right now. 

Good luck lads, and come on Scotland! I really do hope they show you something that gives you hope for the future, but I won't be there to see it. 

PS: The movie is about dealing with loss. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 - 1 to Russia.

2-1 to Kazakhstan.

Just to cheer folk up a wee bit - there is a very good chance we will be 4 points behind either Cyprus or Kazakhstan after today's games.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Hard to see us keeping a clean sheet or scoring. 3-0 Russia. 

I'm slightly more optimistic on two counts.... (1) Clark has had a bit more time with the players so I'm hoping we'll be a bit more compact and (2) the Russkis were pretty wasteful at Hampden. 

I can't really see where a Scottish goal will come from either tho, 0-2 loss 🙁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, slasher said:

I'm slightly more optimistic on two counts.... (1) Clark has had a bit more time with the players so I'm hoping we'll be a bit more compact and (2) the Russkis were pretty wasteful at Hampden. 

I can't really see where a Scottish goal will come from either tho, 0-2 loss 🙁

Yep, I'm tipping 1-0 Russia with them dominating the majority of it. They are very wasteful (Except for the Kazakhstan 4-0 away win). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

According to an interview with him today, their training sessions have totalled only an hour of work

That sounds like bullshit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, infamous said:

That sounds like bullshit.

Clarke added: “It’s been more or less an hour of coaching this week.

“It was probably 15 minutes coaching on Monday, pure coaching. Then 15-20 minutes pure coaching on Tuesday.

Clarke is aiming for four wins in the last four qualifiers
3
Clarke is aiming for four wins in the last four qualifiersCredit: Kenny Ramsay - The Sun Glasgow

“Before we jumped on the plane to go to Moscow it was a 30-minute walk-through of set-plays and organisation. For me as a coach it’s not a long time to prepare a team.

“So there has to be a sense of realism.

“If everybody is looking at me and saying ‘He did a great job at Kilmarnock getting them coached and well drilled’, then I’d say to them it didn’t happen just like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Russian keeper was pretty honkin, our goal at Hampden being a case in point, so if we can fire crosses at him and have enough bodies up to pounce on his loose hands we might be able to capitalise. Fraser can cross a ball, that we know for sure. 

That gives me some hope we can score, but it's going to be a tough old night you'd have to think.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

The Russian keeper was pretty honkin, our goal at Hampden being a case in point, so if we can fire crosses at him and have enough bodies up to pounce on his loose hands we might be able to capitalise. Fraser can cross a ball, that we know for sure. 

That gives me some hope we can score, but it's going to be a tough old night you'd have to think.

 

It may suit us to play away from home. The problem is we’ve lost so many players there won’t be much continuity on which to build anything from the last games. Plus our centre halves are decimated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

It may suit us to play away from home. The problem is we’ve lost so many players there won’t be much continuity on which to build anything from the last games. Plus our centre halves are decimated.

Aye it's incredibly frustrating. The raison d'etre of these four games, the part of them that would actually be useful, is being so thoroughly undermined by injuries and unavailability. 

Clarke has had to change his centre half pairing in all of his double headers so far, with only Mulgrew an ever present. It must be maddening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Gents, 

        I'm in Moscow, last minute long story I won't bore you with why I'm here alone without a ticket but as I'm not a member of the travel club, if anyone here knows anyone here with a spare ticket I can meet up with them & buy it? Obviously I'd rather be the Scotland end.. 

            Cheers, Brian.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Hi Gents, 

        I'm in Moscow, last minute long story I won't bore you with why I'm here alone without a ticket but as I'm not a member of the travel club, if anyone here knows anyone here with a spare ticket I can meet up with them & buy it? Obviously I'd rather be the Scotland end.. 

            Cheers, Brian.. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

According to an interview with him today, their training sessions have totalled only an hour of work

That's not what he said - unless you think they were on the training pitch for 20 mins each day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AndyDD said:

 

Clarke has had to change his centre half pairing in all of his double headers so far, with only Mulgrew an ever present. It must be maddening.

We must be the worst country in the world for call offs.

Makes you wonder why you bother as half the players can't be arsed.  No matter who the manager is, they are up against it. All the other Home Nations have far better commitment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yep because they are doing ok. our support is/was more demanding so more pressure plus the negativity surrounding us just now is nost ive ever saw and im 47. only thing that will change it is nations league where we will sell out. even though defense is shit all other positions are strong apart ftom most important one/striker. clarke also i dont believe has enough kudos. it maybe worked with kilmarnock players but i doubt it works wuth player who are at big clubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

 but i doubt it works wuth player who are at big clubs.

He's coached (and managed) some players who are far better than any of the diddies in our current squad to be fair.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

We must be the worst country in the world for call offs.

Makes you wonder why you bother as half the players can't be arsed.  No matter who the manager is, they are up against it. All the other Home Nations have far better commitment.

I have to be honest, I have absolutely no idea how bad other nations have it for call-offs, so i'm no sure how we'd rank on any barometer, but I do often see Northern Ireland struggling with it just because so many of their players play over here. You could well be right, I just don't have enough knowledge of other nations to compare it fairly. 

We had a good run under Strachan for a while, when the players seemed to really enjoy it. Relatively few call offs. In fairness I was worried we'd have worse call offs this time given the group is a bust, so that's a point for Clarke; the players do seem to be buying into him so far. As far as it's possible to tell, I think most players that are out injured are actually, y'know, injured. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...